Can anybody testify about the best expected accuracy of a Browning BAR?

Gee, that report makes it sound like the answer to a maiden's prayer. Now, if I only knew a maiden . . .

Here's two. But be careful, very careful ... especially if you meet them at your range. ;)

Attachments

• Trudie Fay.jpg
    Trudie Fay.jpg
    35.4 KB · Views: 640
  • sherrigallagher.jpg
    sherrigallagher.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 578
Academic for me of course, but I find it hard to believe those attractive women are still maidens.

It's the gushing that's bothersome. Someone explain to me what a .284, Shehane or not, can do that the .280 AI can't do as well or better. Brass fom anybody that makes a .30-06, or as .280 if you want. Another couple grains capacity, which according to the 6mmBR post, was an issue. Often, a couple grains more capacity translates into greater powder choices. Finally, for a single shot, anything will work through a short action; for magazine feeding, you'd need a long action for the .284 with 180s anyway.

What am I missing, aside from being 40 years too old to chase maidens?

I have owned two Browning BARs in 7mm Rem Mag. The second because the first was a single shot....Browning never could figure out why and instead sent me a BAR S-II. Both shot good groups/under 1 inch at 100 yards with any factory ammo. Both guns shot the Winchester Supreme/140 gr Ballistic Silvertip best. The newest (this has all happened in the last two years--first bought in May 2010) I have tried with a number of bullets and powders and it shoots .5" groups or less with Hornady GMX 139 and H4831 powder, with the best groups at 69.2 grains (.3") and 3319fps. The recoil is fairly light and it works as smooth as glass; I love the gun and have shot several coyotes and a mule deer buck. I have a lot of bolt actions and it shoots as good as most of them. I got mine because from the age of 13, I went hunting a lot with my stepdad and his cousin. Pop is a bolt action only guy for the most part, but his cousing Bill always hunted with a BAR in 270 as did several of their crowd. I have always wanted one and don't regret them a bit. You can get a bad gun anytime from any maker. I have had two. A winchester with a bad chamber--brass bulged into an over machined area--shot well, but tough getting the brass out; the other was a Savage 30-06 finally determined to have a loose barrel. I haven't known anyone with a BAR that wasn't accurate: acceptable accuracy for me would would be 1.5" groups or less with factory ammo.

This is an old thread but I am posting because I had a really hard time finding information on BAR accuracy. I have a BAR Safari with BOSS chambered in .300 WIN Mag, purchased new. I mounted 4-20 Burris Veracity FFP scope on it. I bought this rifle because I wanted a large magnum for longer ranges elk, mule deer, etc where I live in Idaho.
I am shooting Barnes TTSX in 165 gr. from the bench, I adjusted the BOSS weight system and could see the group size change, all the way up to 1.3 MOA. When I found the best setting (.30) I was able to get the group size to .6 MOA.
I have never had a jam, have used this for hunting in quite a few conditions and have put a couple hundred rounds through it practicing. I clean the barrel after each shooting with Hoppes solvent.
I have saved brass and planned to reload for it but likely will not bother due to the accuracy it has with factory ammunition. With accuracy at .6 MOA, this is an ethical 500 yard rifle. I killed my mule deer last year at about 400 yards, laser range verified.
The fact that it is semi auto, relatively heavy, and has a muzzle brake really helps tame the recoil. I use the rifle for extended backpacks hunts as well, despite the.

I think most people who hear they were inaccurate were from shooters who didn't know they had problems with scope mounting, barrel cleaning, ammo, flinching, etc.

Bar accuracy

i have several semi autos that are very accurate. an M-1 garand with a heavy krieger barrel , and ar-15 with a heavy krieger barrel. An Hk-630 . If you could have a new krieger barrel installed it should help. a cheaper easier way would be to get a remington 700 long range or sendero ( lighter too).

After being away from this site since 2007, I gave this topic a read-through.

I concur with the preceding advice, and quote my Sainted Dad in suggesting that if your project is a good idea, it will still be one after diverting your attention to work on another project first. But mostly I think it won't be, mainly because the accuracy of the rifle in hand is not compatible with the realistic distances where such a chambering should be at its best.

But the rifle still has value, as a trading offering.

Once traded, a different rifle with similar configuration and a more reasonable chambering could bring your current desires to fruition. I offer the currently available Remington 750, in .308, or .30-'06 chambering. Incidentally, the linked article has a typo or two, and I believe the actual accuracy number given should read as 1 5/8" at 100yd. Current ad.

Perhaps this could be more worth your consideration.

Greg Langelius

Last edited:
Greg, you and I bounced emails back in the 1990s. We are all getting older.

My 100+ range reports make my (3) BARs look not so good. But 338WM, 338WM, 300WM lightweight rifles with a small scope shooting 1.5" 3 shot groups at 100 yards now seems more normal.

My Lothar Walther bull barrel Sav 110 223 shooting 35 gr bullets will do a string of 0.5" groups.

But given the mass ratio of rifle to bullet, the BARs are doing ok.

Back