Can anybody recommend a good "accurizing 101" source?

Our club, the Dakota Benchrest Shooters, will be having several club shoots later this year. Factory-ish guns are in a seperate class and we encourage people starting on their accuracy quest to join us for the fun. Hopefully, the O.P. can join us for at least one of these events.

He and I have met and he's definitely going to be an asset to our club. He's starting his adventures in rifle accuracy the same way I did....seeking the advice of people that have been where he's at. I'm fortunate to have had some good people guide me in the beginning. I would encourage everyone to help out a new person.

Snarky comments and rude, elitist attitudes do zero to grow the shooting sport. Or this site.

I'm in Sioux Falls, S.D., and have been speaking with Al Nyus, as the range he helps to run is only about 5 minutes from my house. So I'm hoping that will work out for me, as it's a benchrest club and there should be some shooters I can link up with for more specific learning. It's also a private facility, so a bit more quiet. The other ranges I've been going to lately aren't too bad, but they're busy and the closest one is 45 minutes away. It's hard to focus when you have brass hitting you in the head from the next lane.

There's a lot of good info in this thread, so I'm going to roll back through and start to digest it.
When it comes to, "accurizing", center-fire rifles, you'll find Mr. Nyhus difficult to best - a great source of information/knowledge, and willing to share!
Too bad you're relegated to THE FORBIDDEN ZONE - besides Al, you'll have to contend with several, other "misfits", who despite the, ZONING, manage to be pretty decent competitors.:p;) RG

I prefer books, but in this case I would not recommend Gordy's (chambering) book. I thought it had a lot of gaps and just wasn't very well written. In that particular case his chambering video is much better.

GsT
I'd agree.

...... can anybody suggest a good starting point for somebody that is somewhat handy and wants to start working on accurizing a rifle.......

-Hans

Hans----- Since you began by saying that you are somewhat handy, one of the easiest things that you can do to accurize a rifle is to bed the action. By that, I mean, from the recoil lug to just forward of the chamber. If it is not bedded now, I'm sure that you will see some improvement in the way it shoots and get some hands-on experience. You should find anything you need to know on YouTube and give it a shot. Remember, little steps.

I know it's probably a dumb question, but can anybody suggest a good starting point for somebody that is somewhat handy and wants to start working on accurizing a rifle for benchrest shooting? Anybody have a favorite website or youtube channel, and I'm definitely not against buying some books or getting subscriptions. I'm just having trouble filtering out the obvious advertising and AR platform info to get to the useful stuff.

I know that I eventually want to acquire a much more accurate rifle, but I want to learn the fundamentals first. I have an older Remington 700 that I'd like to do some basic work on, so that when I do start properly shopping for a higher end rifle I know better what I want, and how to not ruin the thing.

-Hans
when you say basic... rebarrel, true action and bolt, better stock, custom chamber and dies ? Without being a benchrest shooter other than my sporter hunting rifles at modest ranges, 300 -400 yards, my Redfeild accutrac/range scopes can dial to 600. The furthest deer was at 300 yards, maybe 400 through the trees in the mountains of PA. The rifles outshot me. That was before I started fooling around with neck tension. The shots were always dead on where the cross hairs were.

I appreciate the sentiment, but the technical aspect of building and tweaking is one of the big draws for me, almost as much as the shooting side. I totally get that it's a fools errand, and won't win me any competitions. But I enjoy the hell out of tinkering and learning, so it's still something I'd like to pursue.
Spent a long time and lots of dollars doing this and it is fun. The first one I played with was a Mauser action.
Buying and shooting first class equipment is also fun.
If you ate reasonably sure you had rather tinker and have a good time, have at it. You will learn a lot. Most competition actions are 700 clones or somewhat close anyway. But be aware the competition actions are very well thought out and improved in the areas that make them well, competitive. Ie, the tinkering has already been done. So, if you want to be competitive……!

I can see what people try to do, I see benchrest guns for sale and they are not real benchrest guns, they could be just hunting rifles tuned up, and probably over weight for competition, people can just reload and some people can reload, people have light hair triggers on their rifle at 10 ozs and think that is light but they don't try a proper benchrest gun at 2 oz or lower, benchrest guns are like grand prix cars they are very high tech pieces of equipment you can not get that out of a hunting gun with work, they were good enough 40 yrs ago.
You can change one thing to your reloading between targets and could improve your position on the score sheet, then there is no right or wrong you have to try, one thing may work for one person and not the next, you can get ten people that rechamber barrels have 10 different opinions how to do it, you can get an ordinary gunsmith close enough is close enough or you can get a competition gunsmith for a great job and even a great gunsmith can do a barrel that does not shoot, if you could guarantee a hummer barrel you could not afford this barrel.
I have alway said the you can learn more at a good competition shoot than you can at 20 club shoots, I hear people shoot one hole groups and measured properly they would be .4s, .4 groups don't work on the high end score board, Rsmithsr was not being rude about reloading he was helping you about there is more than reloading then using standard dies the are ok for hunting, everything in benchrest is custom, projectiles, cases, barrels, actions, stocks, triggers, flags etc, etc, goes on and on, you can not put a V8 family car in a nascar race. Mark

Back