calfee night train copy ?

G

gambler

is there more than one calfee night train ?
he's selling one in the classifieds, and i've got pictures from one at the sept. ARA nationals...i guess it's either a copy or been redone ???

Attachments

• 40600024.jpg
    40600024.jpg
    25 KB · Views: 564
Gambler did you shoot this at the nationals? if so how did it shoot.

just shot it with my camera......dressed in full camo, don't think anyone say me, everybody was looking fer brian brandt's lizard:)

Gambler did you shoot this at the nationals? if so how did it shoot.

Martin, the way you see it, there was about a 27" barrel on it. I think it was a six groove but don't remember for sure The long barrel was experimental. I'll leave it to you to figure out the experiment. Calfee didn't have time to get a longer blank so he used a 28" standard blank. This by itself kept him from cutting it exactly where it needed to be cut in order to get maximum accuracy. So, it was somewhat handicapped from the beginning. But the idea was the longer barrel and that was a cross he was willing to bear. Shannon Hollen shot it at the nationals and later at Livonia with the long barrel, and with some success. I think he shot one 2400 at the nationals. The test was a success overall, but to really get something from it, you would need to order a longer blank.

The barrel was subsequently replaced with one of the Shilen octagon or polygonal (whatever), and it became very difficult to beat. The rifle is really a hot shooter with the octagon barrel and I'm not so sure Bill is crazy about parting with it.

By the way, since this is your thing, the longer barrel took more weight to tune properly.

which brings up a point i've been wondering about.
if you use a longer barrel won't the speed of the bullet
drop in velocity some? possibly in the range of speeds
that people were saying they couldn't buy unless
you were one of the favored few. in other words why
not just get a longer barrel?

Beau, that's the same exact conversation that I had with tomc last night. the longer barrel may take a little more weight but once tuned will shoot in 30 degrees to 90 degrees. 95% of my shooting and testing was done in tempetures below 60 degrees, often ariving at the range early finishing by 11am and then back for evening shooting. Bill finished his testing a little early that's all.

which brings up a point i've been wondering about.
if you use a longer barrel won't the speed of the bullet
drop in velocity some? possibly in the range of speeds
that people were saying they couldn't buy unless
you were one of the favored few. in other words why
not just get a longer barrel?

Give you an A Tom. I don't think it slows it enough however. Another thing, while I wouldn't want to get into 1081 speed a lot. 1071 and below does not bother me that much. I don't really see the magic range being in then 1050's and you have to chrono to make sure anyway.

Nite Train with the longer barrel would have made a "killer" as Bill says, if he had been able (had the time) to get the longer blank and do what he usually does to the barrel. As it was, it was still not bad. With the Octagon, it's a "killer".

No, it's only marketing if you intend to sell more or you need it to sell what you have. Neither applies here. It was just and experiment. The sell of Nite Train with the Octagon is not in question. I probably game out more information than I should have on the long barrel, but it was interesting.

The attachment to this post may be marketing. It's the copy of the artwork on the cover of the book and the Watercolor that will be given away.

But you know what. I just thought of something. You have to actually click to open this file. So, you can just ignore it. In that case, I guess this is not marketing either.

Attachments

• Book Cover.pdf
    34.7 KB · Views: 418
Jack, sorry to inform you, but the world just ain't fair. But I'm proud of you for the refrain you showed in not opening the attachment. That's the way it should be.

James,

$6500 and it doesn’t use a noodle, don’t sound right to me.

I shot 5 championship matches with my Hall this year and it does have a noodle. I won 4 and only lost the other by 3 x-rings, love my noodle.

As I said, $6500 and it doesn’t use a Pappas noodle, just don’t sound right to me.

Peter

Peter

James,

$6500 and it doesn’t use a noodle, don’t sound right to me.

I shot 5 championship matches with my Hall this year and it does have a noodle. I won 4 and only lost the other by 3 x-rings, love my noodle.

As I said, $6500 and it doesn’t use a Pappas noodle, just don’t sound right to me.

Peter

Peter, I don't think "noodles" are Calfee approved.

It is interesting to see how prices are eroding. Last one I remember was $11,000. Now $6250. If it keeps going in that direction, I may be able to afford one
Don

it's a USED rifle with a new barrel, it should depreciate. jmho

It is interesting to see how prices are eroding. Last one I remember was $11,000. Now $6250. If it keeps going in that direction, I may be able to afford one
Don

Interesting thing is, they sell. You could say if there's no BS they sell, but too many people verified the $11,000 sell but it was more of a true custom build. Six grand for a rifle; too much for me, but hey if you got it and want it, why not?

I don't understand the whole rimfire thing. I used to shoot a little back when Beau and Calfee and a few other guys were shooting at BGSL. It was fun, but I liked centerfire better. Seems there are cheaper guns in CF, more gunsmiths and I guess they go together easier. It may be the reloading thing. But it seems in RF, you gotta have a rifle build by one of the golden boys and there only about five. Then they're expensive, picky, overall harder than CF. I would never pay 11,000 or 6,000 for a rifle. Maybe 3,000 but that's about the value. But I know Beau was offered over eight grand for his turbo and turned it down. I think I would have sold it.

squatty, you don't get it. there is more money to be made in rimfire from untuned rifles than tuned so why change now.

Back