Butt weight

R

robb frazier

It's finally happened. After adding all the do-dads...Tuner...JJ Slide...Midbarrel tuner the rifle is now stringing vertically. The stock is an Edge and all the weight that can be put into the weight tube has been added. Because the stock is hollow; approximately 1/8" thk and slightly rounded, making a butt plate to add weight would appear to be more work than I want to attempt. Drilling a hole at the toe and adding shot mixed with epoxy would seem to be the best approach. The rifle is shot in a 1 piece rest. So I have a few questions:

I have an ankle/wrist doohickey that I can strap onto the stock and add/remove weight for testing. Will placing an equal amount of weight on both sides give me the same results as when I add the shot epoxy mix to the toe area?

Can too much weight be added to the butt stock?

Thanks in advance for advice

Do I understand you correctly that you now have a stock with the weight system in place? How much more do you need?

It's finally happened. After adding all the do-dads...Tuner...JJ Slide...Midbarrel tuner the rifle is now stringing vertically. The stock is an Edge and all the weight that can be put into the weight tube has been added. Because the stock is hollow; approximately 1/8" thk and slightly rounded, making a butt plate to add weight would appear to be more work than I want to attempt. Drilling a hole at the toe and adding shot mixed with epoxy would seem to be the best approach. The rifle is shot in a 1 piece rest. So I have a few questions:

I have an ankle/wrist doohickey that I can strap onto the stock and add/remove weight for testing. Will placing an equal amount of weight on both sides give me the same results as when I add the shot epoxy mix to the toe area?

I have noted that some of the winning Unlimited Rifles have been reported to weigh as much as 18 lbs. One might assume that the weight didn't hurt anything, eh? Theoretically, a heavier rifle should sit tighter on the bags and return to battery more consistently, from my view anyway. I believe if there is a gain to be had in creating weight systems that help, they are well worth doing. I suspect more isn't said about the weight because there is a very strong belief that a 10.5 lb rifle shoots well enough to win, so why weight them?

Pete

It's not going to hurt trying the doohickey. Did you test with one do-dad at a time or just throwing it all on at once?

Mr. Frazier,
Sir, Joe is the one to listen to about adding weight and or figuring out what works and what doesn't!
If you go to 6mmBR.com search for Bill Myers and read about Bills thought but more importantly Joe and his record setting rifles
you'll get a lot of information!
Pete

Is there a maxiimum percentage of the total weight, that we shouldn't exceed on the rear bag or rest?

The stock is an Edge and all the weight that can be put into the weight tube has been added.

You haven't described how much weight you have in the weight system cavity of your Edge stock. I found that I could get eight oz of solid lead in mine. To bring my Annie/Edge up to 10.5 lbs I used tungsten tig welding electrodes. Seven 5/16 x 7" electrodes will nest nicely in stock cavity and two 3/16" electrodes take up the remaining space and will shim them in place. This gave me almost four more oz. of weight in the butt than I could get with lead.

I don't have any idea if this will settle your rifle down but if more weight in the butt is the answer this will get you about 1/4 lb. more than a 1/2" x 7 1/2" lead bar will.

Greg

Last edited by a moderator:
Robb, assuming you have the brass weights you've got about 1/2 lb. I have the same setup and I got a piece of machinable tungston that fit the system and that was about a pound...... Brought me up to a bit over !0lb. With good balance. If you need much more you're going to have to reconstruct the butt end.

Greg, ...... where do you get tig rod that fat? thanks, douglas

Douglas,

A welding supply distributor like National Welders Supply or Airco is an obvious choice. McMaster-Carr lists 5/32" electrodes. I investigated some other combinations and two 1/4", two 5/32" and two 3/32" will give you a total of 12 oz or about an additional oz compared to the seven and two combo I mentioned earlier. I your installation of ballast is anticipated to permanent, you could hammer two more 3/32" electrodes in there but that defeats the purpose of the removable chamber cap.

If you don't like the electrode cost you find, I can help you with that.

Greg

Greg, I'm old and can't hardly remember anything, tig electrodes light bulb! I wish I had known about BR when I was working, could have got all I ever wanted. As I recall, they are kinda pricey? Any deals you know of? thanks, Douglas

Douglas,

Like all metal prices they're through the roof. Why I remember wh........

I don't weld much with the big ones anymore. I've got some old stock I could hook you up with for about half if you're interested.

Greg

Back