Brno #3

R

rogee2

I have just run across a Brno#3 target rifle, with globe front and adjustable rear sight along with double set triggers. Is this a good shooter, and does it have any collectors value?

brno #3s

There are 100 of these known to exist. There are 72 in America. There is one in my house. These are scarce as the proverbial hen's teeth. I am short on time, I can give more details later, at least what I know.

The trigger is a marvel. The Brno rifles are outstanding quality.

May I be obnoxious and ask the price? Don't worry, I am a starving auto worker and WAY to broke to buy anything right now. I am going to guess that the rifle was made before 1956 and practically mint. If I were in a better position I would love to have more than one of these!

Holler back!
Greg

I have a Number 4 made in 57 so just after these.
It has single trigger. Shoots great.
Love to find more info on these.

Thanks for the information, now I am really interested in buying it. The owner would like to get his original investment out of the gun and he said that was $375. If there is only 100 of these known to exist I would think that they must be worth quite a bit more than that, but I would have no idea of how to market it. My experience on the auction sites has left a lot to be desired. You are right about the date of manufacture, the gun has a 1956 date on the barrel. The owner of the gun said that it would out shoot his model 52 Win. but I thought that might have been just sales hype. Anything else that you know about this gun would be appreciated.

Brno #3s

Still hung up on time, more to come, however....

THOU SHALT PAY THE MAN HIS $375 AND BUY THE RIFLE!!!!!!

Note: I did not recommend, advise, or suggest. That is sort of like an actual THOU SHALT PAY THE MAN HIS $375 AND BUY THE RIFLE!!!!!!

I paid $640 for mine about 4 years ago. However, it is absolutely right out of a time vault mint!!

I don't know what it is worth now. Supposedly they were a dominant rifle in Europe in the 50s. I suspect if you shoot it you won't sell it.....

more to come.

Snidely, I will try to steer you toward more info too!:D

If it helps, old Brno's are known as the poor man's Anschutz.

Greg

Brno #3S

Can't seem to get 30 hours in a 24 hour day. The rifle is NOT a regular Brno #3. It is a Brno #3S. The S stands for "Stecher". This is Czech, and it represents the double set triggers.

The #3 is a reasonably rare rifle. The #3S is REALLY rare. Some were supposed to have been used by the 1956 Czech Olympic rifle team. I dug around on the web, in the 1956 Olympics a Czech shooter won either silver or bronze in one rimfire discipline. Sorry, can't recall which one. Frustratingly, there was no equipment list that I could find.

I read somewhere that they were supposed to have cleaned up all over Europe in the 50's. If you google brno #3s and dig awhile, you can get some interesting bits and pieces of info. The #4 shows up often in those searches too.

I bought my rifle from the man who imported them. He told me on the phone that there were about 1000 originally made. After the 1956 Olympics, if I remember correctly, Walther sued Brno for patent infringement over the double set triggers. Brno apparently did not contest the suit and allowed Walther to oversee the destruction of the existing rifles.

They missed 100. Apparently they were all still in boxes when they were found in the 90's. The Czech military had some in the Olympic team, and there were some in a program similar to the DCM. The rifles I have heard of had the stamp on them that indicated that. All of the rifles I have heard of were in mint or near mint condition. I was not kidding about looking like they came out of a time vault.

The #3S and #4 both have a barrel tension setup in the fore end of the stock. I have not shot mine to find out what it can do yet. I want to use a scope and bought some rings like I used on my son's CZ. But I don't want to mar the finish on the reciever. When I make time for it I want to find out what it can do. The people that have #3 and #4 rifles dialed in say that they shoot great. Old boy was probably not hyping the gun when he said it outshoots his Win. 52.

A lot of people have a high regard for CZ's. I do too! Old Brno rifles were the predecessors. Fit and finish are superior. They are forged steel recievers. High quality all around.

The best source of info I have found other than the importer, is rimfirecentral.com forums. Go to the CZ forums. Find " show me your Brno's".
Bring your lunch, you will take a while but there is great info there. Several of those guys have #3S rifles. Including the guy I bought mine from. He goes by brnoman. Great guy, he can get you accesories!

Sorry this is so long, but when you figure out that trigger lets go so incredibly light, I mean it makes my Canjar 2oz. on another rifle feel heavy, you will be addicted to that rifle! You will want to learn all you can, and pass it on to others if you can.

Anyone that can add info, please do!
Take care,
Greg

Brno #3S

Can't seem to get 30 hours in a 24 hour day. The rifle is NOT a regular Brno #3. It is a Brno #3S. The S stands for "Stecher". This is Czech, and it represents the double set triggers.

The #3 is a reasonably rare rifle. The #3S is REALLY rare. Some were supposed to have been used by the 1956 Czech Olympic rifle team. I dug around on the web, in the 1956 Olympics a Czech shooter won either silver or bronze in one rimfire discipline. Sorry, can't recall which one. Frustratingly, there was no equipment list that I could find.

I read somewhere that they were supposed to have cleaned up all over Europe in the 50's. If you google brno #3s and dig awhile, you can get some interesting bits and pieces of info. The #4 shows up often in those searches too.

I bought my rifle from the man who imported them. He told me on the phone that there were about 1000 originally made. After the 1956 Olympics, if I remember correctly, Walther sued Brno for patent infringement over the double set triggers. Brno apparently did not contest the suit and allowed Walther to oversee the destruction of the existing rifles.

They missed 100. Apparently they were all still in boxes when they were found in the 90's. The Czech military had some in the Olympic team, and there were some in a program similar to the DCM. The rifles I have heard of had the stamp on them that indicated that. All of the rifles I have heard of were in mint or near mint condition. I was not kidding about looking like they came out of a time vault.

The #3S and #4 both have a barrel tension setup in the fore end of the stock. I have not shot mine to find out what it can do yet. I want to use a scope and bought some rings like I used on my son's CZ. But I don't want to mar the finish on the reciever. When I make time for it I want to find out what it can do. The people that have #3 and #4 rifles dialed in say that they shoot great. Old boy was probably not hyping the gun when he said it outshoots his Win. 52.

A lot of people have a high regard for CZ's. I do too! Old Brno rifles were the predecessors. Fit and finish are superior. They are forged steel recievers. High quality all around.

The best source of info I have found other than the importer, is rimfirecentral.com forums. Go to the CZ forums. Find " show me your Brno's".
Bring your lunch, you will take a while but there is great info there. Several of those guys have #3S rifles. Including the guy I bought mine from. He goes by brnoman. Great guy, he can get you accesories!

Sorry this is so long, but when you figure out that trigger lets go so incredibly light, I mean it makes my Canjar 2oz. on another rifle feel heavy, you will be addicted to that rifle! You will want to learn all you can, and pass it on to others if you can.

Anyone that can add info, please do!
Take care,
Greg

Rogee2....BUY IT!!!!!!! I have a Mod 4 target that I bought in the 90's, It was built in 1954 or 1957 I cant remember for sure. The BRNO's are a very Quality rifles. Oh bytheway....THEY SHOOT!!!

Last edited by a moderator:

O. Horinek was the shooters name and he actually tied for first place but was awarded second on a tie breaker. 3 Position smallbore, 1956 Olympics. And, no equipment list as you mentioned.

bjm

One point that seems a little strange, if there are only 100 Brno #3s known to exist, wouldn't that cause the price to be much higher than they appear to be? As a shooter isn't the long barrel a problem, by modern standards?

Brno #3S

Not a lot of people in the USA are very familiar with Brno. Most people are unaware that the highly popular CZ line is a derived from the original Brno. The #3S is not even listed in the Blue Book of Gun Values because it is so rare!

The long barrel doesn't seem to hurt it. I have read of guys getting .25 groups with #4 rifles, and they have a heavier trigger! Regarding barrel length, I have a Remington 37 built by Eric Johnson that is 27.5 inches long, it was cut back and rechambered from its' original length by Johnson later. I have shot .25 or better with it with Eley practice, best group was .11! I don't think barrel length is necesarily a problem on rifles like these!

THOU SHALT PAY THE MAN HIS $375 AND BUY THE RIFLE!!!:D
Greg

I have an almost mint Model 4 (1957)
At 50yrds less than 1 inch with Wolf Match extra (3/4 most)
With Lapua Master less than 1/2 inch
and with Midas it got .25 group. (2 groups one little out with 8 rounds)
Fantastic shot all groups on one target with 6-10 switching winds.
Almost ready to use it instread of Suhl but need better trigger on Brno.

Just give me the Man's name and address and I shall pay the man 375 dollars for the rifle. I like those BRNO's.:D:D:D:p

I bought the rifle the day I started this thread, so don't worry about me passing it up. Now the question is what do I do with another rifle. Being an old ( and I do mean OLD ) hot rodder I never had a gun, Car, motorcycle, or boat that I have not modified. If there is only 100 of these guns in existence, I wouldn't want to modify it in any way, however that takes half the fun out of owning it. Even in like new condition it is close to the ugly duckling of the safe, and is calling on me to do something.

brno #3S

Howdy Rogee!
Just wanted to find out if you have shot your Brno #3S yet and how it did. Did you like the double set trigger? You may have to put some locktite on the screw that adjusts the trigger, it moves somewhat on mine. I am still waiting for time to shoot mine. Somebody somewhere said not to fiddle with the barrel tension device until you had tried various ammo makes first. Obviously debatable, however, one would be well advised to keep track of the movements made on the screw so as to put it back if need be.

Hope it shoots well for you!
Take care!
Greg

I too have a #3S and just want to repeat all of the good things said here about them. You made a tremendous buy, twice that price is the minimum I would think it's actual value to be. I would have walked through fire to buy it for your price.

You really MUST, if you wish to continue to own and enjoy your treasure, get to know Zdenek Jakubec, or brnomann as he is most often known. He is THE BRNO guru, and the only person I know who REALLY knows the #3S.

All the best,

OS

OldSwede

I don't mean to beat this thread to death, but I saw pics of your #3S through various stages of restocking on rfc, I believe. Have you put your rifle through it's paces? If so, how does it do, with what ammo? Did you use the barrel tension device? Is there any way to avoid marring the action when you scope it? How about that astounding trigger? As I always understood it, double set triggers are supposed to have a slower lock time than a regular trigger. The #3S seems as fast as my Annie 1413!

Does it shoot better in the new stock than the old?

Thanks!
Greg

Rogee

What OldSwede said about Brnoman is 100% right. He is the guy that imported these mighty fine rifles, and the guy I bought mine from, as mentioned in an earlier post. I just bought a single shot adaptor for mine recently, it was new in wrapper.

Tell us how it shoots!
Greg

I don't mean to beat this thread to death, but I saw pics of your #3S through various stages of restocking on rfc, I believe. Have you put your rifle through it's paces? If so, how does it do, with what ammo? Did you use the barrel tension device? Is there any way to avoid marring the action when you scope it? How about that astounding trigger? As I always understood it, double set triggers are supposed to have a slower lock time than a regular trigger. The #3S seems as fast as my Annie 1413!

Does it shoot better in the new stock than the old?

Thanks!
Greg

Hi, Greg:

My #3S does in fact shoot better in the new Claude Gatewood stock than it did in the original factory stock, mostly because it has been bedded into the new stock, I believe. Yes, I do use the barrel tuning device and find it useful, as I have on my #4 as well.

I have not -and will not - scope my #3 but have my #4. I used Rimfire Technology's 16mm-to-Weaver adapters and Burris Signature Zee rings to mount my scope on that one.

My #3S will never be shot competitively as long as it is mine, I simply do not have the eyesight to shoot competitively with aperture sights. I use BRNO "Olympic" aperture sights. Accuracy? I can hit an orange 3" metal disc at 100 yards about 75% of the time, using Wolf MT. You could probably do better. All of my rifles shoot better than I can. Part of getting old, I guess.

I am actively looking for another #3S - hopefully one with great metal and a lousy or cracked original stock - and have engaged the services of brnomann in the hunt. Confidence is high.

OS

No 3 stecher bolt removal

No. 3 stecher bolt removal (I need help. How do I remove the bolt from my number 3 stecher BRNO?)

Help is need urgently....thanks.

Back