Brno #3

i did get a chance to try all the ideas today. that one that worked, mostly from you, was. pull the front trigger, it did not feel like a fire type situation, was long, mushy, no real telling when it set the rear, but the rear would move a bit, and a minor click. then, the knurled rear would be able to fire the sear. I didnt put the rear sight on, yet, looks like one was never mounted, but,....i didnt buy just to look at it !

i did get a chance to try all the ideas today. that one that worked, mostly from you, was. pull the front trigger, it did not feel like a fire type situation, was long, mushy, no real telling when it set the rear, but the rear would move a bit, and a minor click. then, the knurled rear would be able to fire the sear. I didnt put the rear sight on, yet, looks like one was never mounted, but,....i didnt buy just to look at it !

Hi Bob,
Glad it is working for you. Yes, the front will have a long mushy pull. That minor movement from the rear trigger along with the minor click is the system setting.

Mine was mint looking, too. These are fine old rifles, and quite rare. Try a variety of target ammo in it and you might be surprised at what it can do.

There is a tuning ability for the barrel under the forearm. I highly recommend NOT playing with it until you find the most accurate ammo for it. I don’t know if this was optimized by the factory or not, but it may be in the best location already. If and when you decide to start trying to use the barrel tension system, make small adjustments and WRITE DOWN how much you moved the screws and which direction. Otherwise it is REALLY easy to get lost and have all sorts of headaches getting back to where you started. An aggravating fact about any tuning system like that is the wood will absorb a bit of moisture depending upon humidity and you have to tweak it to find an optimal setting. As I understand it, the Remington 40X rifles that used a similar idea would move, and people quit using the adjustment screws and let the barrel free float. Your rifle is so rare that modifying it permanently in any way will negatively impact the value. But I have no doubt your rifle is a shooter as is!

I left you a PM with my direct email, if you have any issues give me a shout and I will see if we can work through them.

From what you’ve posted you have a mighty fine collection of Brno rifles. Denny, the man who imported them to this country, would be proud. Enjoy them all, especially that 3S!

Take care,

Greg

for now, i am just using aguila colibri. quiet enough to use in the basement, and some cci quiet. louder, but ok for a few rounds. i will have to wait for outdoor season around chicago to do much more. until i mount the peep sight, i just usually use one of the others. one of the best, maybe just due to the scope, which isnt anything special, is a norinco jw-15, copy of a model 1.

for now, i am just using aguila colibri. quiet enough to use in the basement, and some cci quiet. louder, but ok for a few rounds. i will have to wait for outdoor season around chicago to do much more. until i mount the peep sight, i just usually use one of the others. one of the best, maybe just due to the scope, which isnt anything special, is a norinco jw-15, copy of a model 1.

Howdy Bob,
A word of caution on the Colibri. I was playing with some it one time in an Anschutz with a long barrel. One shot didn’t seem to have an impact. I thought that was weird. I started to load another one......but it BUGGED me that I didn’t see an impact. So I pulled the bolt and looked down the bore. No light. Got a cleaning rod and pushed the bullet out. Next shot had an impact.

I started using the Super Colibri after that. Velocity is around 500 FPS as opposed to 350 FPS or so with the regular Colibri. I’ve played with the CCI quiet just for the fun of it, too. Blackbirds don’t like that stuff.....

If a bullet gets stuck in the bore and you shoot another one after it you can “ring” the barrel, pretty much killing its accuracy. Just wanted to let you know in case you were unaware of it. It would be a heartbreaker to have that happen to something as rare as that 3S.

Those Norinco’s are supposed to be pretty decent shooters, by the way.

Take care,

Greg

the colibris i use are supers. i was lazy when referring to them. they shoot well at 40' in my basement, and group pretty well across the board. Almost always, my better rifles shoot them better, the jw-15 just has a scope that i really like, was mounted by previous owner and is set up just right for me, most of my others are open, peeps if available. I have a kimber 82c, stainless, that shoots as good or better, but the scope was mounted 23? years ago by me, and the leupold needs to readjusted for my older eyes, and to my cheek and hold. the only rifle i have that doesnt let the super colibri exit the barrel is a new 455 ultra, 28" barrel?. i listen for every shot, and push a wood dowel thru if any concern, but thanx for that reminder.
bob

Back