Bought a Benchrest Rfile - Need Information - 219 Donaldson ?? - Clair Hollingsworth

buckstix

Bought a Benchrest Rfile - Need Information - 219 Donaldson ?? - Clair Hollingsworth

Hello All,

I just bought a Custom Benchrest rifle at auction and would like to find out more information about the caliber and the maker. I made a chamber cast and all the measurements appear to match a 219 Donaldson, except the rim is slightly smaller in dia by .005" and the neck is about .100" longer. It was built Clair Hollingsworth in the 1950's on a M54 Action. It has a Massive Laminated stock is made of Honduras Mohagony. It weighs just under 30 pounds, at 29 pounds, 11 ounces.

Any help would be appreciated.

Interestingly, the auction description said; "Adjustable target type trigger needs adjustment or repair - will not fire." Well, the trigger assembly is not readily visible, its hidden from view deep inside the stock. When I examined it, I found that the trigger system was a "set" trigger, and the rifle wouldn't fire unless the trigger was "set" first. I'm not sure if this is per design, but that's how it works with this rifle. When the trigger is "set", it works great.

A Silver Plaque under Plastic Butt Plate reads "OLD / RED / A / ONE HOLE / STINKER / COMPLETE RIFLE / BY / CLAIR / HOLLINGSWORTH / 414 E N.Y. ST / RAPID CITY / S.D."

Attachments

• SCHULTZ-1.jpg
    SCHULTZ-1.jpg
    53.2 KB · Views: 327
  • SCHULTZ-2.jpg
    SCHULTZ-2.jpg
    56.3 KB · Views: 295
  • SCHULTZ-3.jpg
    SCHULTZ-3.jpg
    195.2 KB · Views: 339
  • SCHULTZ-4.jpg
    SCHULTZ-4.jpg
    79.6 KB · Views: 295
  • SCHULTZ-5.jpg
    SCHULTZ-5.jpg
    71.3 KB · Views: 299
  • SCHULTZ-00.jpg
    SCHULTZ-00.jpg
    163.6 KB · Views: 325
Last edited:
.... continued ....

I found a 1958 newspaper article about Clair Hollingsworth's benchrest rifles.

Attachments

• SCHULTZ-91.jpg
    SCHULTZ-91.jpg
    39.1 KB · Views: 276
  • SCHULTZ-9.jpg
    SCHULTZ-9.jpg
    120.4 KB · Views: 295
  • Picture 120.jpg
    Picture 120.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 165
  • SCHULTZ-92.jpg
    SCHULTZ-92.jpg
    116 KB · Views: 177
  • SCHULTZ-7.jpg
    SCHULTZ-7.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 169
Last edited:
If I am not mistaken, the locking luggs are in the rear of those S&L actions. They were noted for smooth operation.

What you bought is more of a conversation piece that a truly built Benchrest Rifle by today’s standards.

It probably has a “target” trigger, but not, as I said before, a true Benchrest Trigger by today’s standards.

It possibly is 219 Donaldson Wasp, way back when that was a fairly accurate Benchrest chambering. That neck portion looks awfully long, though.

Last edited:
The 219 Donaldson Wasp is a very good shooting cartridge that won many br matches in the 1940’s and 50’s and was a premier woodchuck round.

There were several versions, short neck and long neck versions are mentioned in the old literature but I’m not sure about the neck of your chamber cast. 219 Zipper brass was originally the common brass used to form 219 Wasp cases. Now 30-30 brass is most commonly used. Federal did a run of small primer 30-30 brass they sold as 30 American. My Wasp groups a bit smaller with the small primer.

If you form your own brass you can try different length necks. 3031 and 4320 are good powders, unfortunately 4320 has been discontinued.

From my experience the Wasp is worth the effort to reload for because it shoots tiny groups and it’s old school cool.

I thought my Taylor and Robbins Wasp is so cool I built a shrine for it.. .... yeah I’m ok, I’m not crazy

Attachments

• 26CA5A75-0BF2-4C48-A37E-89621D44D1E2.jpeg
    26CA5A75-0BF2-4C48-A37E-89621D44D1E2.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 367
Last edited:
We’re you also a railroad conductor or switch man? I have one lantern; how did you get so many?

I didn’t work for a railroad, I collected railroad lanterns for several years till they got too pricy for me. Junk and antique stores and a mail auction- all before the interweb.

The 219 Donaldson Wasp is a very good shooting cartridge that won many br matches in the 1940’s and 50’s and was a premier woodchuck round.

There were several versions, short neck and long neck versions are mentioned in the old literature but I’m not sure about the neck of your chamber cast. 219 Zipper brass was originally the common brass used to form 219 Wasp cases. Now 30-30 brass is most commonly used. Federal did a run of small primer 30-30 brass they sold as 30 American. My Wasp groups a bit smaller with the small primer.

If you form your own brass you can try different length necks. 3031 and 4320 are good powders, unfortunately 4320 has been discontinued.

From my experience the Wasp is worth the effort to reload for because it shoots tiny groups and it’s old school cool.

I thought my Taylor and Robbins Wasp is so cool I built a shrine for it.. .... yeah I’m ok, I’m not crazy
Hello 1911Nut,
Thanks for the reply.

One of my Schuetzen rifles is chambered for the 30 Herrett "Long Neck". The extra long neck helps achieve better bullet alignment with the bore. Perhaps this was the thinking for making the neck longer on the 219 Donaldson chambering in this rifle.

1911Nut,

Your Taylor and Robbins IS cool.

Nice shrine, as well.

Justin

Thanks Justin. I take her out a couple times a year to shoot a few groups, she never disappoints.

I’m looking forward to hearing how Buckstix’s Wasp shoots for him.

Good walking varminter for Arnold

It weighs 25 lbs

A little much for walking, but I do most of my varmint shooting from a portable table anyway.
I have farmers that call me when they decide they have a groundhog problem.

They get as much of a thrill watching me pot a groundhog at 400+ yards as I do doing it.
I let them watch through my spotting scope while I am using my rifle scope.

My Schultz and Larsen weighs 29-3/4 pounds. I'm thinking about putting an axel through the back of the stock, and adding wheels.

Attachments

• SCHULTZ-wheels.jpg
    SCHULTZ-wheels.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 163
Back