Bore Guide

n.r.davis

Read an article about using a Cleaning Rod Guide in the action of your rifle so I made one up for my Sako. Wondering about what happens at the Muzzle when the Brush exits the bore, the rod has to drop down and rub on the crown. Thinking I need a Guide out there also. Any help or advice is much appreciated. David

There are rods and jags that are made of neoprene are some other plastic that ride the bore and prevent the jag or rod from dropping down. I don’t see it as a problem as long as the jag is a perfect match to the rod.

Read an article about using a Cleaning Rod Guide in the action of your rifle so I made one up for my Sako. Wondering about what happens at the Muzzle when the Brush exits the bore, the rod has to drop down and rub on the crown. Thinking I need a Guide out there also. Any help or advice is much appreciated. David

The advice I have seen is to NOT push the brush out the end, stop while most of the brush is still in the barrel. You would need a stop or obvious mark on the rod.

Regards, Jim

I don’t think it hurts to stop either the brush or patch jag just as it clears the bore. BUT.....

Do not use those long strokes that allow the rod to rub on the bottom of the barrel at a high speed. I can tell you from personal experience that you can ruin the crown by doing that.

I agree with Jackie. Much has been written here about the perils of over exuberant cleaning beyond the muzzle. A little common sense should be the rule in this part of the cleaning.

Back