Best Scope Under $1200.00

S

Shiraz Balolia

I have read the other scope thread, but wanted to ask a more pointed question. If you had a budget of $1200.00 for an airgun scope, which one would it be.

The requirements would be as follows:
1/8 MOA clicks
Fine crosshair with dot reticle
Will be used on a gas powered air rifle
Rangefinding not needed
Minimum focusing distance 50 feet

Thanks.

Only somebody with nothing better to do with their money could justify a $1200 scope for Air Gun.

Stephen Perry
Angeles BR

Stephen - you may prefer to shoot a 12X Weaver, but if a person wants and can pay for better optics, a remark like that sure isn't warranted.

Leupold LCS

Shiraz,
I don't shoot air rifle, (yet). But, I do shoot 22LR indooors at 62 feet with a 45X LCS and it will focus down to 50 feet, if not lower.
I hope Stephen doesn't disapprove of this:rolleyes:

What $1200 scopes are you referring to.
Stephen Perry
Angeles BR

If I knew I would not have asked the question here! Read my post - it says "Budget".
There are scopes made for air rifles that range from $50.00 to over $2000.00 (Schmidt & Bender). Now, perhaps someone else who has or knows of very good quality scopes will respond.

Suggest you look at the Bushnell Elite 4200 scopes. Superb optics and they can dial down to close distances. I have used most except the new 30mm tactical scope. The mil dot feature might help with adj for wind if shooting outside.

Overall, very durable mechanicals for a reasonable amount of cash. I compete in F class with these scopes so trust their optics and reliability.

If you don't need alot of adj, the 6X24 AO version is a great buy.

Jerry

The Bushnell that Jerry mentioned was recommended to myself, by a gentleman i have a lot of respect for his choices through his experience shooting Air Rifles for the last 10 years.

Your other choice would be one of the Leupold Competition Series Scope. They have superb clarity and will meet your specifications. Make sure it's a R series. Some of the older series have had problems. I have 2 of them, they are used on rimfire rifles shooting at 50 yrds. They both do their part.

Hope this helps.......Joe

The Bushnell that Jerry mentioned was recommended to myself, by a gentleman i have a lot of respect for his choices through his experience shooting Air Rifles for the last 10 years.

Your other choice would be one of the Leupold Competition Series Scope. They have superb clarity and will meet your specifications. Make sure it's a R series. Some of the older series have had problems. I have 2 of them, they are used on rimfire rifles shooting at 50 yrds. They both do their part.

Hope this helps.......Joe

Jerry, Joe and JWA - I looked up the Bushnell and read some reviews. Sure looks like a nice scope. I am going to try and see if they have the reticle choice I want (didn't see one offered on a quick scan through). The Leupold Competition series (35X) also looks great and their custom shop can adjust it to focus down to 30' if I need it. Both under budget, so looks like I'll be making a decision soon. Thanks.

Shiraz-- I believe that Bushnell will change the reticle, on the Elite series scopes, for a nominal fee. I'm pretty sure that you can get your reticle of choice that way. They used to mention that service on their web site, although I haven't looked there recently. HTH

Custom Reticle Program
Custom reticles are available for adjustable objective Elite‚ riflescopes only on a custom basis. Reticles available by scope model are listed below. To order your custom reticle, mail your scope along with a check for $55.00 to:

Bushnell‚ Elite Riflescopes
Attn: Custom Reticles
8500 Marshall Drive
Lenexa, KS 66214

Your scope will be returned in approximately 6 weeks.
Model Description Reticle (M.O.A.)
32-4124A 4–12 x 40 1/4, 1/2 Dot
42-4164M 4–16 x 40 1/4, 1/2 Dot
42-4165M 4–16 x 50 1/4, 1/2 Dot
42-6244M 6–24 x 40 1/4, 1/2 Dot, Mil Dot
42-8324M 8–32 x 40 1/4, 1/2 Dot, Mil Dot

Last edited by a moderator:
Bushnell, Burris, Nikko, Leupold are FT choices

Most of the guys with Leupolds have them boosted to 45x. They rangefind better. Most focus to 1/2 yard.

Bushnell 6-24 or 8-32 are very popular and I have the former. Sure, it's only a $400 scope, but looks good on top of my $1850 air rifle.

The distance for benchrest will only be 25yds so don't know if anything more than 32 would be necessary.

The Nikko Sterling is big and heavy, and at 10-50x will bring it in close, but will cost you $750+ used.

The new Schmidt& Bender is apparently the berries, at $2600.

You'll need to have an AO scope or have parallax set on one.

Can't wait to shoot my first match of Benchrest.

Regards,
MM

ps: as far as the cost goes, money spent in optics for Field Target is very, very well spent. Rangefinding and repeatable clicks are of the utmost importance.

Sometimes...

Stephen it apears you intentionally limit yourself when you could easily escape your civil servant thinking...

Just an observation.

Now, give yourself 1200 $$$ monopoly money and make like some bureaucrat is going to take it from your budget if you don't spend it.
Now play nice...with the other engineers.

Me, I would leverage the 1200 for a March. But thats just me.:eek:

Have fun. :D

Stephen...

Please accept my apology.

It was said in good faith but I see you have taken exception.

I would use the March and since you muster so I'll start into Airgun BR despite your comfit.

I now own a G4003G so you had better watch yourself...or Shazam!

Now have the truthfulness to answer a good question properly.

I make a promise to investigate this question and give it a better answer.:eek:

-John M. Paton

If $1200 large is your budget as well as 1/8 clicks, not sure if 8X is low enough but the Nightforce 8-32 BR should fit the bill.

Free shipping over $250

Does your budget allow for base and rings?

http://www.bearbasin.com/catalog.htm#nightforce_scopes

I have several Nightforce scopes on my long range guns and like them a lot. The only reason I am not putting one on the air rifle is because it is a little bulkier than a Leupold and some of the others. I have always been a fan of top quality optics and, regardless of what some say, good optics DO matter! Right now I am leaning towards the Leupold 35X for the field air rifle project. Might go another route, but I really appreciate the posts from people that know about good optics (that do not come cheap) and stayed with the intent of the thread.

Granted I've not studied every one...

But I don't think Zeiss makes a riflescope that goes to 25yds. I do know they don't make one that goes to 10yds.

MM

MM
Try what you have first. If you have a scope 1/8 click, fine crosshair, most any power give it a try first and save yourself a high dollar scope. For most people Air Gun is a a second or third shooting Sport. Your only shooting 25 yd, doesn't take a 50X scope to see that far.

Stephen Perry
Angeles BR

Stephen,
I have to disagree with your thinking that more magnification is useless. More magnification will help you shoot tighter groups no matter what you are shooting or what distance you're shooting off a bench...now some may argue for offhand you can have too much mag., but not for benchrest.

MM

Good point, Marmot

I'm guessing the 'field use' may extend further than 10m..
:eek:

Back