Best Factory Group Bag Gun

Yo doc,

Huge kudos for posting consecutive groups and for shooting 5-shot groups!

'Nawful lotta' guys will throw up one three-shotter and claim "this is what the gun does, ALL DAY if I do my part."

Those are real groups me' man, just the sort of stuff to keep you spending money on the stuff Steve mentioned..... and more.

LOL

Good On Ya.

al

alinwa

Have you seen or heard of Baylin bullet making dies. Allen Bench gave me a set in 22. I am going to use them with some J4 jackets to make 52/53/55 bullets. Also want to ask Eric Stecker what J4 jacket makes 80 grn 22 bullets. Take some pressure off my Rorschach 22 dies.

Stephen Perry
Angeles BR

You write, Ok what you got. Don't start the BS about 100 yd .2 groups with a varmint gun I don't buy it. Reason being most of you guys don't have the measuring instrument to measure a 1/4' group and the other half don't know how to measure a group.

I find the insulting tone of this to be just ridiculous. Frankly, I don't think YOU have a clue as to what you are doing. I don't think you could measure a group if it bit you.

Expect a posting when you can keep a civil tone. Who in their right mind would write a reply to this, then await some sort of major "put down?"

Ok, I loaded up some 75 gr Sierras in my old Ruger and decided to see what it would do, also it was memorial day, and as a ritual for the last 30 years I went out on Monday to the range. It was a pretty good day for hauling a bunch of the pistols and a few rifles out and make a day of it. Again I was going for at least a 3/4 if not better agg out of the thing, It was doing better than I was. But that is usually the case, The groups start in the center, top right is #2, top left is #3, bottom left is#4, bottom right is #5. The first 2 kiled the agg, but all in all it still shoots fairly well for 20 + years and too damn many rounds.

DSCN2096.jpg
[/IMG]

Its going to get shot one more time this year in an informal match for our state games, then get put away until I get the hankering to either sell it or rebarrell it again, which should be about another 1 or 2 years.

Montana Pete, dont understand the problem. Why wait 3 weeks to bring this up? Stephen and Al could have definately flamed my tail feathers earlier with the groups posted from this rifle but didnt. No it is not a BR class gun, but for its age and the number of rounds through it, plus the fact that Stephen asked for groups from your favorite Varmint/bag gun, well this is mine.
Stepehen and Al, sorry it took 3 weeks to get these, but I had to remember how to shoot it. :eek:

DR

Looks great DR. What Ruger rifle and load. We talkin 100yd groups here? Those groups are as good or better than some those nice Coopers I see shoot. Thanks for sharing mutiple groups.

Stephen Perry
Angeles BR

Here's a rifle I've been proud to own. These are the first groups shot from a Remington SPS Tactical in 308 Winchester. As you can see the first group at the top left was shot and then the scope was adjusted for further groups. These four groups are each going up one grain of powder from the top left clockwise from 41,42,43,&44grs. of RL15. The rifle has done nothing but improve since these first groups. It likes most any load and is one of the most consistent factory rifles I've owned.
RemingtonSPSTacticalGroups.jpg

Stephen,
Thanks for the thumbs up. All groups were shot at 100 yds, weather was good, 74 degrees, winds variable 4 to 8 mph. The rifle is the same one from earlier in this post. The load I shot was 39.3 grs Varget, Sierra 75 gr HP, CCI BR2, RP brass, COL 2.625. The load it has always preferred is using H 4895, 75 gr Sierra or Hornady 31 to 3200 fps. This one averaged 3080 fps, E.S. 68.08 fps, S.D. 22.67 fps. Caliber 243 Winchester, 1 in 12 twist, 24", prefers being a little dirty.

Whelen, Looks good to me.

Thanks

DR

6x284 Hart BBL

My Rem 700 Hart bbl 6x284 with 57.5 grs of Re#17 70 gr Nosler BT pushing 4,000 fps produced a 5 shot .236 group. But it regularly prints under 1/2 MOA at 100 yds. Oh and that group was at 100 yds.

whelenman
I like your groupings . You are getting equal vertical and horizontal dispertion which is good. The load looks good the only thing I could recommend if you can see the mirage read it. The mirage is like a set of wind flags. What powder and bullet are you using in your .308.

Stephen Perry
Angeles BR

Worker
A gun that will agg around .5 MOA will on occasion stand up and shoot the 1/4"group. Nothing to get excited about just enjoy it.

Stephen Perry
Angeles BR

Back