Best Compact Reloading Press?

HUNTER3401

Besides the old Hood Combo Press or Harrel's Version of the combo press, what is the best Compact reloading press for threaded dies. I am going to use this for FL resizing competition 6BR, BRX, and Dasher rounds. I am looking at Harrel's "Compact Reloading Press". It is $180. It is "C" shaped. I am wondering if it has plenty of cam action strength to bump and FL size and if it is rigid enough? Do I need a "O" shaped press for more rigidity? If so, who makes one now? I have been using a Rockchucker for years, but want one I can move around and carry with me when needed. It does not have to fit in a reloading box, just not so heavy and bulky as the Rockchucker. I want a benchrest quality press, not a "Partner Press" or something. Thanks for your replys! Samuel Hall

Not a lot of choices! Its either a partner press or harrel's or hood, cry once and have a lot of room in your loading box with a hood. I believe a dasher will fit. I think Chris Harris has some and he frequents this forum. He is part of team Fargo! Welcome to Benchrest.

MAC

My favorite press is the RFD compact O press. One of these days, I'm going to buy one! Check it out on Bob Dodd's website or under RFD.

I thought I really wanted a Hood Combo press until I used one. I found the seating process kinda awkward. I like a seperate arbor press for that better, but 'suppose it's just whatever you're used to. They sure are small and compact though.

Hal,
I am favoring the Harrell's "C" press. Which of the 3 sizes that they make do you recommend for BR sized cases? Wish I could put my hands on one to see how well it cams. I have tried the Hood presses and they are a work of art, but a little difficult to insert the cases, you have to sit directly in front of the press to feed it. I saw Bob Dodd's websight for the "O" press, he states he is only working on his existing presses, looks like he is not making any now? Bruno's version of the"O" is $425. It would be nice to have, but I wonder if it has any avantage over the $180 Harrell's "C" press? Thanks for the idea's guys, it is helping me make a decision. I did not even know of the RFD Press until you mentioned it! Samuel Hall

Hal,
I saw Bob Dodd's websight for the "O" press, he states he is only working on his existing presses, looks like he is not making any now?

Bob's website says that the press is the only gun item he still manufactures, but his website is not updated. I know he is or was struggling with cancer so who knows. Give him a call and ask.

I've got 2 of the PPC/BR presses and use them all the time for all the small stuff (6PPC 6BR, BRX, and a shortened 6 X 6.5-47). The last one's basically a Dasher with a long neck. I've even sized 308 sized cases in them, but that's a PITA. If you see yourself going bigger than the BR types, go with the next size up. Both my presses have spent time with Jim Carstensen for an upgrade to allow you to adjust shoulder bump with the greatest of ease and quickness. The conversion is worth its weight in gold.

Hal,
I am favoring the Harrell's "C" press. Which of the 3 sizes that they make do you recommend for BR sized cases? Wish I could put my hands on one to see how well it cams. I have tried the Hood presses and they are a work of art, but a little difficult to insert the cases, you have to sit directly in front of the press to feed it. I saw Bob Dodd's websight for the "O" press, he states he is only working on his existing presses, looks like he is not making any now? Bruno's version of the"O" is $425. It would be nice to have, but I wonder if it has any avantage over the $180 Harrell's "C" press? Thanks for the idea's guys, it is helping me make a decision. I did not even know of the RFD Press until you mentioned it! Samuel Hall

Sam, There was an interesting article, I believe in Precision Shooting, regarding the space between the shell holder of a press and the base of the sizing die when sizing cases. I found it very interesting as I checked my before and after with a case while sizing to see what spring developed. I am assuming that a c press will spring more than an O press but that was not covered in the article. I don't know if this spring is of a concern to you.
Centerfire

Centerfire,
"Spring" is exactly what I am concerned about in the "C" type presses. The 40 degree shoulder of the Dasher case is harder to bump back than the 30 degree of the 6BR or PPC. When you are bumping back a case .001, the least bit of "spring" in a press can offset that bump it looks like to me? And some cases work harden faster than others, especially when some are shot more than others. The Harrells Compact Press probably is rigid enough, just wondering? Samuel Hall

Partner Press

While I wait for enough money to get a smaller, more compact press, probably a Harrels, I am using a Partner press with no observed conflicts. I chose it primarily on size and weight and thoughts from folks whose recommendations I would trust. I now am on a mission though to reduce the equipment I take to the range.

Good shooting

Geary Koglin

Sam, Since you have a Rockchucker, might you run a test for yourself and see what the gap is between the shellholder and the base of one of your dies and then check the space when sizing one or more of your cases and see if there is any spring.
This test might decide what press you will own for many future years.
Centerfire

The spring in a press has more to do with the press/die thread match and the linkage pins than the press itself flexing. IMHO Also, consistancy of lube has a lot to do with it also.

Hovis

Thanks to all for your thoughts and opinions! I have found a Harrells Compact (308 sized) press I am purchasing. Samuel Hall

Back