Best bang for buck .223-.243 varminter

mattri

Not exactly a benchrest question but figured you guys would be the best to ask.
Looking for a .223 or .243 rifle that will be sub MOA accurate to 200 yards. Would prefer a repeater but would not rule out a single shot.
What do you think the most cost effective choice would be? Thanks, Matt.

Accurate + Cheap = Savage
Accurate + Moderate = Cooper
Super Accurate + Expensive = Custom

I never thought I would be saying this but here goes - I just picked up a Stevens 200 ( it's a Savage without the accu-trigger) in the ugly grey synthetic stock. It has a Simmons Blazer 3x9 scope on it (el cheapo). Using a target that has a square aimpoint and with broad enough border to it that I can lay the crosshair into for an aim point I have yet to exceed a 1 inch group with it, and many of the groups have been at 1/2" - 3 shot groups.

I did lighten the trigger back as far as possible (4 #) and when I got tired of fighting it I found a used Rifle Basix trigger and installed it, it is set at 18 oz. and the rifle is much easier to shoot but it still shoots the same size group, it just is easier to do now.

This is first time I have owned a Savage bolt action and I am flat out impressed. I have a total of $300 in the whole thing, rifle, scope, mounts, and trigger.

My initial exposure to them was when I sighted one in for a "non-gunny" friend and his shot so well it piqued my interest so I purchased this one to play with and to see if his was a fluke or if it was representative. It is now my dedicated truck gun, as a matter of fact I shot 30 gophers with it today, with the ranges being from 100 to 250 yards - gotta love it.

OOPS!! - I almost forgot - they are both chambered in 223.

I am sure you will get other suggestions and feedback, this is just my experience with the only two I have shot - hopefully they are all that good.

drover

Thanks for the replies. I was thinking that a used Savage may be the way to go. A guy at work has a single shot .223 for sale, not a Savage, H and something I think. Been shooting rimfire for a while just looking to get into the centerfire and see what I think so obviously don't want to spend a lot of money. Thanks again, Matt.

Remington 700 VLS .223. I have posted frequently about this rifle in the Centerfire and general discussion forums. If you handload, it is sub-1/2 MOA capable. My only mod has been bedding the front part of the action and Rifle-Basix trigger.

.223/243

Take a big look at the .204 ruger caliber, no recoil, less cost and in the savage it is very accuracy. Have shot 3/4" groups at 200 yards with a 36 power scope. Good Luck, craig

Thanks for the replies.
Is the .204 less expensive to shoot than the .223?
So it looks like its between the savage and the rem- what is a good ballpark figure to plan on spending? Thanks again, Matt.

I bought a used Savage 12FV (tupperware stock) in .223 and had 3 shot results around .5 inches at 100 yards with a 32X scope. Bedded the action with Devcon, and with 68 grain HPBT Hornadies .015 off the lands, I am now 5 shots just under 0.5 inch, much more consistent. Still improving. Enormous amount of note-taking and testing but fun. Thinking now about getting a used 6BR or 6PPC.

Thanks for the replies.
Is the .204 less expensive to shoot than the .223?
So it looks like its between the savage and the rem- what is a good ballpark figure to plan on spending? Thanks again, Matt.

No. It's not.

Buy the Savage you will not be sorry. I've owned or "set up" close to 50 of them and only had one that was not a shooter(couldn't get it down to .5 groups)

Another plus for the Savage/Stevens if you go with a 223 and decide you want to shoot the 204 later you can change barrels, or even go with a 20 Practical and use the same 223 brass, just necked down to the 20 cal bullets.

223 vs 243

Unless you have a hunting power situation(state game laws)that require a 243 over the 223 it is a no brainer.Go for the .223.Why? Barrel life and cost of ammunition,factory or reloads make a big difference as to cost.Barrel life in the .223 should be well over the life of the 243 by a factor of 400 t0 500 percent.The 243 is a great cartridge but do you want the short life cycle and cost for your real needs.Will

Good information on the two rounds. What I'm looking for isn't a gun for hunting proghorns etc, biggest thing I'd be taking with it would be a coyote so .223 is probably best. Thanks again, Matt.

Good information on the two rounds. What I'm looking for isn't a gun for hunting proghorns etc, biggest thing I'd be taking with it would be a coyote so .223 is probably best. Thanks again, Matt.

Yes, you won't go wrong... It'll take yotes cleanly to 400...
cale

my experience

like drover stated. stevens 200. why spend more to start, all the basics are there. when you want to spend more money, true action, custom trigger, custom barrel, and mcmillian stock should make one happier than a turtle in mud. Fred

PS 4 years ago i purchased a REM700VLS in 243. that was the most expensive tomato stake in my entire life. before that lemon i was a devoted Remington fan. i still own a bunch of them but that one really soured my mouth! Fred

Great advice, think thats the way to go. Better to buy a 200 new or is there a particular year/variation that would be better?

A Howa varmint rifle would be my clear choice. I know that Savages have the reputation for shooting well but they are as ugly as Chelsea Clinton. The Howas shoot just as well, usually, and are nice looking. I prefer the Howa over the Vanguard even though they appear to be the same action but the Vanguard is heavier for some reason I've never tried to find.

This is not fair of me I know. I absolutely hate that short neck piece of crap, the .243 from a reloaders stand point it has nothing to offer compared to the 6mm/.244 Remington. You want a great ctg? Go with the Howa Micky recommends and find it used and barrel to whatever you want that does not need any action mods. You will be a happy man if you get a top makers barrel and have someone like Micky do the work, it's called bug holes my friend. You will have a rifle you don't have to hide from your friends and just take a few bucks from a few others out there. :D

Back