Benchrest needs "mad science" types.

There's all sorts of 'mad science' stuff goes on at club matches.

metalmayhemlightenedlhrearfull.jpg

Remember Shelley Davidson and Gene Beggs sporters with lightweight metal stocks. I have a photo of a rifle that shot at Tomball that was made of Alum channel and a little wood.

That one is not lightweight. With the 5oz tuner on the end of the bbl it's 13.5 exactly. There are lots of places to mill away material but the tuner makes me need all the butt weight I can get. It shot very well.

The NBRSA made a change to the Sporter class a few years ago doing away with the forend width and barrel contour restrictions as well as the slope to the butt of the stock. You can build pretty well what you want for the class as long as the rifle weighs 10.5 pounds or less and doesn't have a concave forend. I'm not sure how long its been that way, but have seen very little in the way of anything different actually being shot in the class. With the length of time it takes to get actions as well as have stocks made or make stocks, it does take a little bit of planning and time to try something different. Bob Scarborough is making a stock thats called the hammer head that has a 5" wide forend. Scott Hunter has shot his some, but don't know whether he's competed with it.

Mike, Scott had that Rifle at Denton last year. It shot pretty bad, he said the barrel was really suspect.

We all had a good laugh, (all in fun), and told Scott that "Hammer Head " was way to sinister of a name for that ill shooting smoke pole. Other suggestions were "flatworm" and "platypus".:D

"Mad Science"

There is some mad science in every Benchrest Shooter. Its a gadget sport. That is one of the things that attracted me to the sport. I used to laugh at some of the gadgets I saw at matches when I first started shooting Benchrest. Some of those gadgets made it into the Sinclair catalogue.

Shelley Davidson, called himself a tinkerer. I call him a "mad Tinkerer". He gave me a prototype(Copy) of his first barrel tuner. I never tried it.

Some people have the skills to turn their imaginations into realities. Some are just along for the fun.

Glenn

Back