Benchrest friendly ranges in Houston, TX?

andre3k

This year I've decided to step my game up and join NBRSA and plan on shooting a few registered score and group matches this year as time allows. I started out last year shooting my factory gun (Savage LRPV) at the Tomball club matches and eventually picked up a Viper action 6 PPC. Now I'm focusing on putting in time at the range, but I've come to discover that most public ranges suck when it comes to practicing and getting set up for a match.

Anyone here have any good suggestions for ranges in / around Houston that are BR friendly when it comes to setting up flags, using your own targets and loading at the bench?

Bayou Rifles seems to have a really nice 100 / 200 yard setup with nice covered concrete benches. Any idea why they are not an IBS / NBRSA affiliated club?

Range

El Campo Rifle and Pistol Club, Inc. Located appx halfway between Houston and Victoria. 100, 200, 300, 50, 25 + pistol range. Concrete tables, covered concrete firing line.

If interested, you may email me(listed in my profile).

Dennis

Andre

You would think that with as many ranges and clubs that are in the Houston Area, finding a place to practice would be no trouble.

The fact is, most are not very BR friendly. The reason that Clubs are not NBRSA or IBS affiliated is simple. They do not want to have Matches. As you probably know, there is more to running Matches than just having shooters show up.

The biggest waste is the American Shooting Center Complex out on the far West side of town. Fantastic firing line, great benches, but it is simply way to "public". We used to have Matches there, but the hassle finally ended those.

Tomball will be holding it's Club Match program again in 2010, plus two Registered Group Matches, and a week end long Registered Varmint for Score and HBR Match...........jackie

Back