Begginer looking for information

J

jbradley4031

So i am intrested in getting into the world of benchrest shooting. I am looking for information related benchrest shooting and also looking for advice on what kind of rifle will be ok to start off with. I am considering a rem 700p for a starting rifle. I have about $2000 to spend on rifle and scope so any input would be a great help thanks every one.

I assume you mean RF? If so, contact Dan Killough at Killough Shooting Sports. He's an dvertizer on this site. You can also find him on te ARA & PSL sites.

There's several different avenues to look down for a person just getting started. A lot of it depends on how serious you want to get into the sport. First though, I'm not familiar with a Rem. 700p for rimfire. However, for $2000, you could start by looking at an Anschutz 54 action rifle and a Weaver T36 scope. Or, you could look for a used rimfire benchrest rifle. Look at the ads on this website or visit Killough Shooting Sports. Please keep in mind that $2000 will get you a somewhat decent rifle, but then you need to consider the front rest, cleaning supplies, rifle case, and so on. All that being said, don't let the dollar factor hold you back. Everyone has to start somewhere. It's a wonderful sport with lots of support from fellow shooters.

Hope this helps, somewhat.

Ken

Jbradley;
I don't know where you are located, but if you are anywhere near Charlotte,NC, on the first weekend of December, lookup the Rocky River Barn ( ARA Indoor Nationals ) and check out what's involved. Lots of nice folks will help you out by showing what they use to compete with.

depends on what level of benchrest shooting you aspire to. i never planned on shooting high level competition when i started benchrest shooting (ir50-50). i bought an anschutz 64mpr as my first rifle. i could consistantly shoot from 242 to 247 with it. then i bought an anschutz br50. my scores went up to averaging around 246 with a high of 249. just couldn't get that 250. lol. to compete with the big boys you will need a custom rifle. used or new that arn't cheap but if you look around you should be able to find one. don't buy a pig in a poke if you can help it. see the gun and shoot it before you buy if you can. good scope is a must. i used a weaver t-36 and loved it. you would have to go a long way to beat it and spend more$$$.

good luck and have fun.

I posted on the wrong forum i had intended on posting on CF. The information has still been helpful. I have a Marlin .17 HMR with bull barrel cant remember the modle number at this sec but would that action barrel be workable to start off in RF?

jbradley not really, my one piece of advice for anyone buying a used rifle is: unless you are planning to replace the barrel shoot the rifle using multiple speeds of ammo minus the tuner. and this is fairly simple if the rifle shoots in a figure 8 buy it, if it shoots cloverleaf or worse horizontal pass.

This topic comes up quite often.

So i am intrested in getting into the world of benchrest shooting. I am looking for information related benchrest shooting and also looking for advice on what kind of rifle will be ok to start off with. I am considering a rem 700p for a starting rifle. I have about $2000 to spend on rifle and scope so any input would be a great help thanks every one.

If you are going to compete in Benchrest buy a used Benchrest rifle for which disciplin you choose to shoot in. There are often some good prices on rifles on here. I have sold three great BR rifles this past year that were reasonably priced.

Try as you may, you will never be able to make a Factory Made rifle shoot well enough to compete in Benchrest. You will get more money into it trying to than if you got a Benchrest Rifle in the pirst place.

You can get a factory gun for less than halve the price. It won't be as good as a custom gun but you can still compete in benchrest. If you learn to read the wind you can be competive with the better guns.The shooter in this game still playes a big part. Its not always who has the most exspensive or best equipment. Don't get me wrong, I'd rather have the best thats out there if you can afford it.

Thanks for all the great info everyone. I think that i finly know what i want but now the hard part is the discipline's i am intrested in (f-class and BR) are not in my state (maine).

Last year was my first year,i just spent 3400.00 for my new gun i have my gun from last year, not sure might sell mine,it would be in your price range ,brand new barrel 2702611078

It isn't about "He who has the expensive equipment". Competing in a sport requires a certain level of committment to being able to compete. For instance, if you wanted to race in a NASCAR race you couldn't be competative with a Ford Focus could you? How much value is there to be had in trying to compete with a tool that isn't capable of winning?

There are pleanty of used custom rifles that will give a competitor a good entry level. If they don't like Benchrest they probably would be able get the majority of your money back. Benchrest Sports are pricey but not as costly as some other sports. This topic is discussed often on here and the best advice always is don't waste money trying to get A factory rifle shoot competatively.

Back