Bat SV and SB Ignition questions??

There is a lot more to this than just firing pin fall and weight. One of my most recent actions had quite a bit of drag in it & its not a BAT. Many actions out there have bent firing pins. Rub/Drag is the biggest enemy present....it trumps fall and spring first. New actions are kinda of like pissing up wind, it's a chance at best unless you spend the money and have them checked out. It's sad that it needs to be done but I will be willing to beta the if you take the top twenty shooters of the year in points, 15-17 of them have modified actions is some way. Should be that way but that doesn't mean it isn't.

Hovis

Hovis, I am starting to believe in what you say. How much do we REALLY know what guys/gals actually have done to there actions?????

Some shooters talk others do not. Then there is who can we believe and trust with what they say. When it comes down to winning, shooters will do WHATEVER it takes to win. I have not won yet so TIME will tell for me.

Calvin

Heck
Maybe we need to sell all our actions, and go with Jim Borden's actions. He assured me that he inspects every single action that come out of his shop for the reasons above. It seems pretty clear that not all action makers go to this extreme!! I will own a borden action. hopefully sooner than later. Lee

I am assuming the same amount of pinfall applies to a B as well as an SB? I use to have an action that bent the pin in it. I dodn't realize until I took it apart. The rifle shot well with the pin bent! I replaced the pin and it did not bend again.

I have a Borden Long Benchrest action and like it a bunch. It's in one of his stocks and I can't imagine anything better. I think I might like a shorter bolt but the one I have suits me just fine.

Some time back, I pulled the striker assembly out of my Viper and used to big marker to color the entire spring and firing pin, in front of the shroud. Then, I reassembled and shot it, a couple of trips to the range. All the blue (except where the tip of the firing pin supports the pin) was still where I put it. I have also done the test where you assemble the striker assembly into the bolt, without the firing pin spring, and then alternate pointing the bolt up and down, while pushing sideways on the back of the shroud, from all sides, listening to hear if the pin falls freely. It passed the test.

Here is a pic

of an unmodified bolt and the modified one.

I want to thank Mr. Gunsmith for the quick turn around time. Exactly 2 weeks from door to door. On a side note took longer to come back than go.

DSCN0147.jpg

Calvin

How much spring force do you have now? Also, did you just have the front part done or was there any work done in the shroud....that's usually the worst offender.

Hovis

Have not checked it yet. That is tommorrow. Went for a 3hr (one way) road trip to the home BR range to check on the newly installed PA system, deliver targets, and just BS over coffee and lunch. Then to my gunsmith to pick up a few chambered barrels up. Ahh heck just hang on. The scale is set up....................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................... Definately a lot more than there used to be. I leave my bolts out of the rifle in their holsters in the fired position. I used to be able to cock it quite easily with my thumbs. Well I have to use a towel on the cocking ramp now. Scale says around 24lbs just as I was told it would be.

I discussed this with the gunsmith that does my barrels. He questioned adding the weight to the firing pin. He mentioned he would have no issue installing a heavier spring and checking for binding with the firing pin/bolt and making sure it falls within the standard specs but making the pin heavier???????????????????? His thoughts was lock time. I wish I were in the position to answer all the questions he had but I am learning all this stuff as we speak.

Later
Calvin

Kevin is correct from the research i have done. I know that a few of the top BR smiths mill a little relief in the shroud so that the cocking pieces has no drag. In other words, It is quite possible that the cocking piece rubs the shroud while sliding up and down. At least this is how i understand it. Kevin, is this correct? Lee

I neglected to mention one thing I noticed. When I tried the firing pin spring tension before I sent it to be worked on, you could almost feel a little pop when the firing pen started to move. Now I do not feel that little pop. The pin appears to move slowly and steady. I was waiting for that little pop but it never happened. This would make me assume that there has been some slight relieving done.

I have the question in for confirmation.

Calvin

Yes, a milled relief. Tony explains it awfully well in his book. The only thing I don't think is covered is drilling the hole for the cocking indicator a little larger. That small little area can be a little problem.

Calvin, the little pop/click you were getting is one of the signs that something is amiss in the shroud. 24 lbs is right on. Do you know how much weight he added? The weight looks more like steel than the carbide that is most often used (so that the spacer is smaller). Looks like a really nice job and the smith knows what questions to ask. Bet he builds position rifles. Now, let that lead fly and let us know how it's doing. Wish the best, I know you have put a lot of time, effort, thought and expense in this build.

Hovis

I just got the answer back and yes there was some relief milled. I never asked where or was told where. That is fine by me. Where ever it was done I do feel the difference. The hole in the shroud was drilled out, that is obvious. I figure the relief milling was done on the cocking ramp (if that is the proper term) of the firing pin. The shoud is not opened up like in Tony's book. The machining of the weight is bang on in diameter in comparison with the front of the firing pin.

How much weight added I have no idea.

Hovis, like I have been telling a lot of people I have learned SO MUCH since the Nationals in Kansas and in the last month or so about what is required in a rifle for it to have the potential to be a winner. All I will do from now is to check for any unusual wear marks on the firing pin.

The gunsmith who does my barrels is very thorough. He builds rifles but not very many. He wants to be low key as it is a hobby. The knowledge he has from what I can tell is abundant. He has had a great deal of dealings with many of the top people in the sport over the years. I am fortunate that he said yes when I asked if he would do my work for me. The only people that I MAY pass is name on to (with his permission) are those who are SERIOUS about BR.

The conversation I had with him yesterday gave me a whole new appreciation of who he is, what he knows and what he can do. He goes that extra step from what I can see. He told me he is fortunate that he chose being a machinist as a hobby.

I told him I was pretty sure he could have or one of our other BR gunsmith's could have done the work. He said he would have gone to a certain point and that is it.

I find it tough at times to share the wealth with all these good guys.

Till next time,
Calvin

Calvin
Sounds like your in good hands friend!! Now that your rifle is tip tops its time to learn all the other challenges this sport has to offer. if your anything like me, some days i just feel like throwing my hands up in the air with frustration. Then again there are those days when all the hard work comes together and you start to develop a smile that just doesnt want to go away. I personally have always chooses tough shooting disciplines to be a part of. I shot skeet for a lot of years, and while the game of skeet is pretty straight forward, and fairly easy in theory, and fundamentals, braking 100 straight when it counts is rather difficult, and very very nerve racking! Not to mention doing it with a 410 a 28gr a 20ga and a 12ga then 12ga doubles all in the same weekend. You miss one target and you might as well go home. I have actually shaken so violently while on the pad waiting to call pull, that the target puller had to take my gun from me. I have since gotten away from that type of competition, as i didnt find it all that enjoyable anymore. I take this rifle business with a slow stride. I am almost certain i will never be a top competitor, but there again i dont need to be to enjoy what i am doing. I still like challenging myself, and i get the most gratification from doing so. My daughter will be of shooting age before to long, and who knows maybe she will have that drive to be the best, that i once had? Time will tell!! Lee

Back