BAT - getting bolt to slide easier

R

RAG2

What's the standard measure for getting a tight-tolerance benchrest action to slide a little easier? My BAT seems to slide with a tad more resistance than my other actions (I think sometimes a little lug grease finds its way down the rail, which doesn't help). Not sure if dry is best, some kind of dry lube, or a specific-made "bold-lube" would be the best approachs?

Thanks!

I have a very tight tolerance PGT bolt in my Rem 700 action. .001 .704 O.D. on the bolt & .705 I.D. on the action bore.

I use a light oil (the A/C oil in the plastic squeeze bottle with the long extendable spout) and a lot of bolt movement back & forth. Just takes a bit of time.
One thing I've found is when you pull the bolt open or push it closed is if you push or pull at the root of the bolt handle it will be much easier. There is no
torqueing movement to grab, just the in/out. Just a matter of lapping it in.

Roy

Last edited by a moderator:
What's the standard measure for getting a tight-tolerance benchrest action to slide a little easier? My BAT seems to slide with a tad more resistance than my other actions (I think sometimes a little lug grease finds its way down the rail, which doesn't help). Not sure if dry is best, some kind of dry lube, or a specific-made "bold-lube" would be the best approachs?

Thanks!

You've got three choices. You can either fire a few thousand rounds, lap it in with a mild paste, or use something like this stuff:http://www.sinclairintl.com/.aspx/pid=45506/Product/Benchrite-Super-Bolt-Lube

Last edited:
Thanks!

The bolt Lube from Sinclair is what got me thinking about it.

The gun actually has about 2500 rounds, but it still doesn't slide as easy as I'd like...I want it to glide. I'll try a very light dose of the Butches oil too...I have some.

Not sure what the A/C oil is, but I could look it up.

I don't believe in any of these "fixes."

IMO they're sticky, just not slick. The slickest actions I've found have been Melonited.

and that's a whole nuther can-a-worms.

If you get something to work (other than "carefully work closer to the root of the bolt") please let us know

:)

al

Dry lube

I had a remington 700 action like that. Until it loosened up by itself - about 3000 rounds - I used Remington dry lube in the spray can. No mess no fuss.
Andy.

Another product that my help is Eezox. While it goes on wet it is a dry lube which does not leave a dust collecting film.
For a little more information on it, look at the technical artical section on www.accurateshooter.com

My early model anodized Viper has always worked like sliding a melting piece of ice over a mirror. Got a Grizzley on the other end of the spectrum, keep looking at the bolt to see where I accidentally sprayed it with contact cement.

Last edited:
I would probably sell the dam thing if it doesn't feel good to you and buy a Borden or a kelbly action. Im done with Bat actions myself. they cost to much for what they are. Just my opinion. lee

German
I am in the same boat with several of my BAT actions. When there good there good. However one wouldn't think that you would have to do anything else to a 1400$ action once you buy it. Not the case for me, and many other folks, as you well know. It probably wasn't fair of me to say what i said, but it is frustrating to say the least. I do have two BAt actions that i would never sell. They have a low serial number.
I have a Borden rimrock that simply sets the bar very high for me. Perfect timing, perfect extraction, perfect threads, square bolt face, good firing pin spring, The Borden is actually looked over before it leaves the shop. You get all that for 300$ less money. Its a no brainer for me!! I love mine!! Lee

Last edited:
Mix your own bolt lube. Five parts ATF or Kroil and one part STP. Works great but if you are shooting in a gritty environment, lube the bolt then wipe it off. Enough lube will stay to do the job.

Thanks!

The bolt Lube from Sinclair is what got me thinking about it.

The gun actually has about 2500 rounds, but it still doesn't slide as easy as I'd like...I want it to glide. I'll try a very light dose of the Butches oil too...I have some.

Not sure what the A/C oil is, but I could look it up.

Just curious about this...I had an action with a tight fitting bolt (same problem)...but one day while I had the action out of the stock I noticed the bolt moved easier less sticking/binding feel...needles to say I skim bedded the action again (zero stress/tension) and never had the problem again...

Just curious about this...I had an action with a tight fitting bolt (same problem)...but one day while I had the action out of the stock I noticed the bolt moved easier less sticking/binding feel...needles to say I skim bedded the action again (zero stress/tension) and never had the problem again...

GREAT observation Eddie :)

What I'm referring to is the binding that occurs at the extreme rear of the bolt's travel but I've seen actions bedded in such a way that screw tension changes bolt feel. In fact the way I learned in gunsmithing school (pillars and then bed while sucking the action down with surgical tubing) can cause this.

al

FWIW

Lightly spay the bolt with a good quality silicone,let dry, then aply the lug grease------also, try some on your stock where it rides the bags---very smooth. Got this from Terry Leonard.

Keith Hansley in NC

I use monoject 412 which I think I bought from Sinclair. It's a red colored grease that comes in a syringe type tube. Can't seem to find it online at Sinclair, Brownell, or MidWAY USA. I've seen this stuff in use at a lot of benchrest (short range) matches so maybe Bruno or Ron Hoehn carry it.

Back