bat actions

so jackie,
are you saying that if i buy a new kelbly's br action, i should get the bolt "fixed" before i shoot it ??

so jackie,
are you saying that if i buy a new kelbly's br action, i should get the bolt "fixed" before i shoot it ??

Read my last sentence in post #15.

Some of my good friends shoot Pandas, right out of the box, and have scored multiple agg, grand agg, and two gun wins.

I would agree with kevin. Borden actions are perfect as they come. They truly are!! From what ive seen anyway. Lee

. With the cost of actions one should not need a fix straight out of the box. The manufactures need to step up to the plate. Just my 20 cents worth

Dan Honert

I agree completely. Many of them don't even function test their actions before they box them up and ship them out. I know because I've seen them. In a world where you can be sued because you put too hot of coffee into a customer's cup, there are action makers out there that send out actions that have never had a round fired through them, or have even had a trigger hooked up to them. Mind boggling.........:(

Read my last sentence in post #15.

Some of my good friends shoot Pandas, right out of the box, and have scored multiple agg, grand agg, and two gun wins.

All is fine and dandy until it's not. If you're one of the few that got a not, then your viewpoint can and will change! The lucky ones never know how lucky they are.
That's all I'm saying....;)

I agree completely. Many of them don't even function test their actions before they box them up and ship them out. I know because I've seen them. In a world where you can be sued because you put too hot of coffee into a customer's cup, there are action makers out there that send out actions that have never had a round fired through them, or have even had a trigger hooked up to them. Mind boggling.........:(

Actions do not have to be tested under fire. Nothing proved that a good gunsmith can't determine by other methods. As to Pandas I have 6 ranging in age from 1992 to 2012 and they have been flawless. I do have Kelblys change the firing pin springs about every 2-3 years.

Last year at the IBS Nats our best known, the one with more HOF points that the next 3, said the actions he use are just kits" that must be rebuilt" before they are worth building on. He even shows in his book some things to do. In the past there have been some utho's by this action builder. For example, they had scope bases contracted out and the bolt holes on the bases did not match those drilled in the action. Things like that happen sometimes and they did correct the error.

As to premier function testing, I'm sure they would do that for a fee.

One of the best guarantees in benchrest was Ed Watsons bullets. He would sell you the box he was shooting out of!

Actions do not have to be tested under fire. Nothing proved that a good gunsmith can't determine by other methods. .

Why not? Why send your problem down the road for someone else to diagnose? Why not make sure it's right in house before you send it out. Factory guns are proof tested. Why don't some custom builders? Borden actions were mentioned earlier. I believe I read once that Jim tests every action/gun before he sends it out. If he can do it, so can every one else. I think he's doing a great job!

As to premier function testing, I'm sure they would do that for a fee..

Why should that cost extra? Seems a bad reputation would cost a lot more than a ten minute function test in the end...

As to Pandas I have 6 ranging in age from 1992 to 2012 and they have been flawless. .

Jerry, see post #28.;)

Why not? Why send your problem down the road for someone else to diagnose? Why not make sure it's right in house before you send it out. Factory guns are proof tested. Why don't some custom builders? Borden actions were mentioned earlier. I believe I read once that Jim tests every action/gun before he sends it out. If he can do it, so can every one else. I think he's doing a great job!

Why should that cost extra? Seems a bad reputation would cost a lot more than a ten minute function test in the end...

Jerry, see post #28.;)

Jim, they can and they will but it would cost extra since their time is not free.

Why not let your builder determine if it is right or wrong? You will be closer to the issues.

Most times gunsmiths dont have the weird cartridges we chamber for. Thats the biggest reason. I know if you send me some loaded ammo and i trust your loading ability ill go pop one off into the bullet trap. But if you expect a gunsmith to load ammo and test your guns grouping ability they just dont have any business. Of course we will all do it and have done it for a fee but nobody likes to pay to put the next customers gun on hold- it gets very expensive

Back