BAT Action Bedding???

Anschuter2013

Lazy Man Works Hardest
I have a question concerning the recoil lug milled out on the bottom of the smaller BAT actions and how to inlet to accommodate it.

When inletting, should I cut the entire bedding area of the stock flat and then fill the void with bedding compound, or should I leave the "hump" portion of the inletting intact?

My thoughts were: That amount of "glue" doesn't seem like a great idea, even though it shouldn't shrink and the raised "hump" seems difficult to fit at best:confused:

Please share your thoughts / experiences.

Thanks to all replies,
Best Regards,
Mike

SNAG-0001.jpg

I think you might be trying to make this a difficult issue...just inlet the stock flat and let the extra bedding fill the void (cut out) under the action...the bedding material is supposed to have almost NO shrinkage..you couldn't measure it anyway...I have a 30BR on a Hall action that doesnt have a recoil lug..it is bedded using the rear tang to bedding as an abutment...
I have a friend that has a 6.5x284 BAT action with no recoil lug, and it is a screw-in...bedding fill the gap (the cut out on the action) and works as a recoil lug...

Just Mold It

Farleys have a similiar cut on the bottom, I just mold it to shape. I really do not quite understand what sort of problems you foresee.
One other thing. Is this a glue in? or are you going to mold it with release agent, then use the bolts that Bat furnishes??......jackie

BAT Bedding???

It will not be a glue in, I will use release agent and screws. I had intended to use pillars and bedding compound, but wasn't quite sure how to handle the recoil lug area. I suppose the entire cut out does not need to be completely filled with bedding material, just enough to form a ledge. I did not know if the previously mentioned ledge would be strong enough. I'm not "trying " to make it more difficult than it need be, just asking a straight forward question. Thank you to all responses.

The more, the better

I would install the pillars, mould the entire action body, then bolt it in.
Most epoxies, such as JB Weld and Devcon, advertise "zero" shrinkage........jackie

Inlett the action area flat. Install pillars and bed. Come back and skim-coat the bedding. Skim coating will side-step the shrinkage problem.

You won't have any problems. I have an SV that I did that way - shoots great.

Some bed actions in one pass, I prefer to prebed. In some cases as many as three times. This allows precise position. It also allows for some areas to
be filled if need be. Pillars etc. Beneath the action, its possible to trap an air
pocket in the bedding compound.Rarely in round actions, but often in flat
bottoms. Since epoxys cure by there own heat, some shrinkage must
occur. It shrinks in percentage to its thickness, so a uniform layer
can do no harm

Back