Barrels

Well little Joe...is having a Army Lieut. Col for a therapist a bad idea????
Does the color yellow make you sad?????? WHY DONT WE just Jug on over to Manbey pamby land and get some self-confidence you jack wagon!!!!!!

You don't go to a lot of matches. You have a range in your back yard and you're bitching about your performance. However you came in the top 20 at the SS this year??????

BENCHREST shooter PLEEEEEESAAASZZZESSS! Get a grip!

Bart

Crybaby!!! Tissue???

Harsh but funny! Sorry! Love yA man! Reality check here! Deal with it!

top 20 at the SS.
I need some lessons. Krupa is close. but, always flying some where.
Bart would be real close. If I could find my cousin's phone number. They live near Park City. Other side of the mountain from Bart. But, he is never home cause he is shooting.
I know, we will do like Lowell says. "Can't learn nothing, if ya don't go to matches".

Joe. Jan. 18, 2015 1000 hrs at WWCCA. VFS match 200y. Then you can get a burger at the club house. 2 hr drive home......

Last edited:
I am from the camp that when it comes to short range Benchrest, it's pretty much ALL about the Rifle.

Benchrest is unique among the shooting disciplines in that you are only as good as the Rifle sitting on the Bench.

Years ago, I made the statement on this very Forum that this game was all about barrels, bullets, and tuning.

I have seen nothing in the years that have past that would lead me to believe that is not true.

Great Rifles, (or a great combination, so to speak), make good shooters. That is why the good shooters spend so much time making sure that the combination is capable of winning.........jackie

Last edited:
I am from the camp that when it comes to short range Benchrest, it's pretty much ALL about the Rifle.

Benchrest is unique among the shooting disciplines in that you are only as good as the Rifle sitting on the Bench.

Years ago, I made the statement on this very Forum that this game was all about barrels, bullets, and tuning.

I have seen nothing in the years that have past that would lead me to believe that is not true.

Great Rifles, (or a great combination, so to speak), make good shooters. That is why the good shooters spend so much time making sure that the combination is capable of winning.........jackie

It may be barrels, bullets and tuning, but you are leaving out reading conditions. You can have a gun tuned to the n'th, but if you miss the condition, that's bullets going out of the group.

Hi Joe,
Hope all is well.

Success in this sport is tough, no doubt about it. One thing my mentor asked me early on, "... do you want my guidance or everyone else's?" In other words, stick to one method and technique, and quit looking at what everyone else is doing. You "are" a good shooter, just keep learning from your mistakes.

I remember telling my mentor, will I ever win a two gun. With a level of confidence he said, I have no doubt you will and soon. Within 3 months of that discussion, I won the East-West Show Me at St. Louis match.

Hang in there!

My advice, don't try to shoot small, ...just try not to shoot big! ?

Lee

Hi Joe,...

My advice, don't try to shoot small, ...just try not to shoot big! ?

Lee

I've looked through lots of targets after matches and that having one big target or more is the difference between doing well or not. I'm sure we've all done the "What if" game where you take out that one big group and you'd have won the match.

I'm sure we've all done the "What if" game where you take out that one big group and you'd have won the match.

Mike
I took 8th in HV at the Supershoot one year in HV, beat over 300 shooters, I figured all I had to do was shoot half as well the next day and might have a top 20 finish. I could not find my ass with both hands at 200. That is kind of the story of my life.

I've looked through lots of targets after matches and that having one big target or more is the difference between doing well or not. I'm sure we've all done the "What if" game where you take out that one big group and you'd have won the match.

May a score match has been lost by one errant shot. We often hear that group shooting is different from score, because you can "agg them to death." But Lee's and Mike's perspective makes them sound more similar than different.

Happy holidays,
Keith

Mike
I took 8th in HV at the Supershoot one year in HV, beat over 300 shooters, I figured all I had to do was shoot half as well the next day and might have a top 20 finish. I could not find my ass with both hands at 200. That is kind of the story of my life.

Trouble is some of us get worse as we get older. I stumbled across my first Super Shoot targets cleaning out to make room in case I get something BIG for Christmas. My very first target in LV 100 was a 0.143". Did I get better from there? NO!!!

Jerry,
The very first group match that I shot in 1990, I had a screamer 0.090 in LV 100. I didn't finish in the top 3 in the agg. Last year at the Hog Roast I shoot an 0.068 in the first target in HV100, and I didn't finish in the top five in the agg. Like I said, "...it's a tough sport"!

I enjoy the competition, but more so I enjoy the time with all the other shooter I've met through the years. ...and maybe the occasional cigar! ?

Lee

Jerry,
The very first group match that I shot in 1990, I had a screamer 0.090 in LV 100. I didn't finish in the top 3 in the agg. Last year at the Hog Roast I shoot an 0.068 in the first target in HV100, and I didn't finish in the top five in the agg. Like I said, "...it's a tough sport"!

I enjoy the competition, but more so I enjoy the time with all the other shooter I've met through the years. ...and maybe the occasional cigar! ��

Lee

I know, I know. This year at the IBS Nats I shot a 0.182 at 200 and didn't even win the match, Steve Lee shot a 0.167. At the NBRSA Nats this year I shot a 0.228 at 200 and even didn't get top 5 in the match.

Is this game a friggerment or what??

Jerry,

I enjoy the competition, but more so I enjoy the time with all the other shooter I've met through the years. ...and maybe the occasional cigar! ��

Lee

Lee, looks like you are going to be able to smoke Cuban cigars now since one of the last executive decrees. Although I don't smoke, I wonder if they are like whatever the current unobtanium benchrest powder is as when you can't get it, it's the best there ever was. Maybe, not so much when it's readily available.

Mike

Hi Mike,
I don't know. As you know it's illegal to have anything from Cuba, and I wouldn't do anything that's against the law. :cool:

As to the "special" powder..., I would rather have those "special" bullets. You know, the ones that always fly into the same hole! :rolleyes:

James and Joe, among others, enjoyed your posts.. Good to see you guys contributing and participating !

I'll keep this going with a new question on barrels
Is there something any of you do with a blank to determine if it has potential other than chambering it and shooting
If you slug or something else are you convinced thru testing you can determine a shooter from one that will not or at least has a greater potential

Last edited:
Back