Bad threading job

I think it would be ok to post a pic of the threads/barrel with the name in view. The person was perfectly happy to charge and put his name on it. Others who have had work done by this smith might check theirs. Could possibly save a eye or life. The other consideration is, did someone try and set back or rechamber a barrel done by the smith and what were looking at isn't even the smith's/companies work that is on the barrel.

Hovis

I think it would be ok to post a pic of the threads/barrel with the name in view. The person was perfectly happy to charge and put his name on it. Others who have had work done by this smith might check theirs. Could possibly save a eye or life. The other consideration is, did someone try and set back or rechamber a barrel done by the smith and what were looking at isn't even the smith's/companies work that is on the barrel.

Hovis

Good points. You can imagine the smith's story wood change to whatever suited his needs. The rifle was picked up directly from the smith and never altered by anyone else. The owner doesn't have machining capabilities but did have the ability to completely disassemble the rifle on his own. When he delivered it to me I thought I was receiving an assembled barrel/action. Instead the barrel was already loose (he has an action wrench to my surprise). Lacking machining experience he did think the threads looked bad and questionable but really no current indepth understanding on machining. He is now well educated on the subject...at least on inspection.

Mr. Ponto,

Personally, knowing what you do about the history of the gun, I think you should post the picture to include the "gunsmith's" name. If he's proud enough to put his name on his "work", he would be positively flattered to have it featured on such an august website as Benchrest Central.

And you may save somebody from harm...

Justin

Certainly a messy issue, I appreciate the thoughts and will certainly give it more thought. Justin, Joe is fine!

Would rather see someone mad about their lack of quality work posted than see someone lose their health. God forbid it be a child shooting this disaster in work.

Looks like a BIGGGG thread relief groove!!! Wouldn't have taken much more to part it off at mid chamber! Not that it matters, but what caliber is the barrel?
How'd it shoot?

The chambering was 6.5x284.

Just a quick note, the work was done in Canada. If anyone is thinking of having work done in Western Canada and is concerned with the potential risk, I will gladly discuss the subject with them.

Joe,
I still think that it was set back. Why is the thread relief where it is located? It has every indication of a barrel that was set back. I think they moved the shoulder forward and cut off the back of the barrel.
Maybe not, but it looks like it to me.
Butch

HMMM.....Laser engraved name, threading of a butcher, 6,5x284... are there pipe wrench marks?

The plausible explanation is a setback by a second person.

I hesitate to say gunsmith in present company.

Back