Bad threading job

Probably not. The chamber pressure would have been in the 45,000-65,000 range and the yield strength of barrel steel would be in excess of 110,000.

You are right about what will happen, but....
That is NOT how you figure that out.

1) To a first order you use a simple hoop stress calculation:
S = [OD - ID/2] [P] [ID]

2) To a second order for thick walled tubes, you use Lame's formula:
S=P(r2 squared +r1 squared)/(r2 squared - r1 squared)
r1 is ID/2
r2 is OD/2

3) If you want greater accuracy, like trying to figure out how much change on a strain gauge epoxied to the side of the chamber for measuring pressure, you would need Roark's Formulas for stress in a open ended tube.

You are right about what will happen, but....
That is NOT how you figure that out.

1) To a first order you use a simple hoop stress calculation:
S.
OK, so I missed it by a few thousand psi. Care to give us the exact figures?

I'm working on something of more interest right now, a 600 yard 308 Winchester!!!

Its been 50 some years since I took Strength of Materials and such.

Come On Guys

There is no way that a bad threading job would contribute to a chamber being permantly distorted. The kind of actual pressure that it would take to do that would have left the entire Rifle a pile of junk.

As Jerry said, in order for a material to be permantly distorted, you have to go beyond the yeild strength of that material. Most of the other components involved, mainly the brass case, will fail way before that point is even approached.

It's just a sloppy machine job. Sort of shows how bad things can be and a Rifle still actually function under normal conditions..........jackie

S = [[OD - ID]/2] [P] [ID]
1" OD
.5" ID
P = 65,000 psi

S = [[1 - .5]/2 [65k] [.5] = 8.125 ksi

RC20 annealed steel good for 108 ksi

I have overloaded lots of guns to the point of failure. Typically if the chamber wall is .1" thick, they do not fail before the brass fails.

Last edited:
There is no way that a bad threading job would contribute to a chamber being permantly distorted. The kind of actual pressure that it would take to do that would have left the entire Rifle a pile of junk.

As Jerry said, in order for a material to be permantly distorted, you have to go beyond the yeild strength of that material. Most of the other components involved, mainly the brass case, will fail way before that point is even approached.

It's just a sloppy machine job. Sort of shows how bad things can be and a Rifle still actually function under normal conditions..........jackie

I can't say how barrels made from the best modern steels would act, but I have run across several older rifles that gave the appearance at least of the chamber and shank having swollen to the point that the OD of the threads was form fitted to the Receiver Ring, replacement barrel shanks being noticably looser than the shank of the removed barrel.
A couple of those were rifles I suspect were used for launching rifle grenades, and one which I didn't rebarrel , had a built on grenade launcher, that barrel being noticably swollen at the points where the gas port fixture and rear sight base encircled the barrel.
Could be that the cases used for GL blanks are much sturdier than standard cases, and wouldn't blow out at pressures high enough to deform the shank.

Hard to tell about military chambers, since most are a bit on the loose side to begin with, and barrels are often subjected to much higher heat when fired continuously for several hundred rounds during a battle.

Some Bolt Action military rifles develop internal bulging due to bad bores or defective ammo and resulting extreme pressures..
I've seen a few where the chamber became "jugged", swollen more at the front than at the rear, the difference being mainly that the rear was enclosed and supported by the receiver ring so it didn't get the chance to swell as much.

tough lesson I learned

I picked up a Mauser with hv contour SS 6 groove bbl last year at a gunshop in Southern Maine. The owner of the shop did not know who put it together, but said "its a shooter" Nothing marked on the bbl, but he said it was chambered 308.

The stock was ugly as sin, bedded with bondo or some other caulking. The action was in decent shape, and was the reason I bought the rifle.

I put a no go gauge in the chamber, and it closed easily. I put a resized primed brass in the chamber and pulled the trigger and it did not detonate the primer. HMMM, I wonder how well it shot when it wont even set the round off?

So, I removed the bbl and was aghast. The threads looked like they were cut with a hack saw. and there were only about 5 threads total. I threw the barrel in a pile with the stock and put the action up for a rainy day.

Ben

Here is an interesting surprise I received from a customer..maybe it was the same smith Dennis.

100_4729cropped3.jpg

This the one?

The Village Blacksmith

UNDER a spreading chestnut tree
The village smithy stands;
The smith, a mighty man is he,
With large and sinewy hands;
And the muscles of his brawny arms
Are strong as iron bands.

I dont' recall the exact number but the counterbore was GROSSLY over size! Given the clearance it would have been interesting if the concept "3 rings of steel" would still have applied. I suspect brass and gas would have found its way through the joint!

Well, what does it say on the barrel ?

Whatever name it is on the barrel or whatever it says, probably best not to put it on the internet in today's legal climate. It's a good thing it's not on the action anymore. Looks like a good candidate for the junk barrel bin or dumpster.

It looks like it may have been set back. That could mean the name on it if any might not have had anything to do with what you are seeing.
Butch

Amazingly this barrel does have full name on it. The million dollar question is how do you inform people about this type of work? It just goes to show you how much you can bastardize a Rem700 and still safely shoot it.

Back