Back surgery therapy

Sam Duke

I had back surgery the end of June, and while recovering I though this action build would be good therapy and activity to pass the time.
I thought you might enjoy the pics.

Sam Duke

Attachments

• IMG_1427_3.jpg
    IMG_1427_3.jpg
    30.3 KB · Views: 513
  • IMG_1426_2.jpg
    IMG_1426_2.jpg
    32.9 KB · Views: 499
  • IMG_1431_1.jpg
    IMG_1431_1.jpg
    32.2 KB · Views: 483
  • IMG_1430_1.jpg
    IMG_1430_1.jpg
    26.5 KB · Views: 468
It'd make my back feel better if you'd send me one just like it.
Nice work.

Sam your action looks fantastic! I am always amazed to see the transformation from one of my blanks to a completed action, and yours is especially nice.

Give us some details on your set ups to do the different steps along the way and the equipment you used.

Did you make the bolt or is it from PTG?

I think the port looks great especially the taper at the top. I guess you rotated it as you cut, how many degrees?

The text and logo are awesome, what did you use to do that?

I am quite interested in the steps you took from start to finish and I am sure others are as well.

Again Very Nice Work!

Thanks Gary

Gary, thanks for the comments. It was a very nice and precise blank to work with, the bore and race ways are perfect in the blank which makes it nice to hold very tight tollerances. I made a mandrell, snug fit, with about 4" out the end to index the action in a spider in my lathe and bored it out for the bolt lug clearence and threading. I then put it in a chuck on my rotary table on the mill and used a 1/4" round end mill and with a series of steps up on the knee of the mill and degrees of rotation on the rotary table, I cut the ramps on the locking lugs. Like a dummy I did not take pics of each step, but all the cuts were made on a manual mill with some jigs to hold it for some of the cuts and then a lot of them were made with it in my vice.
I did order a special order bolt from PTG with the remington bolt face with the extractor on the left side with the bolt closed, which puts it on the bottom with the bolt open for the drop port. You must use a remington extractor because with anything else you are looking right in the port at the extractor.
I did weld the handle on the bolt with my mig. welder.
The text is done by a friend of mine with a lazer engraver, threfore he can set up any size and font that is on his computor. He really does good work.
I am going to put a 30 br. barrel on it and build a 13.5# rifle.
Butch thanks for the compliment, you can thank Dave Kiff and group for the big old ugly Kanob. Ha.

Sam Duke

Sam

Now you have to post photo's -targets again when you shoot this action .

That finished action is quite impressive alone!
Keep updating this please.

How about another photo showing the bolt face set up.

Glenn:D

Beautiful craftsmanship, Sir!

And for what its worth, I like the big kanob!! It doesn't even remotely look like some of those big ugly "tactical" kanobs, its a nice balance to these eyes..

Rod

Bolt face

Stonwall, here a few pics. of the bolt face in both the open and closed position. You can see the extractor on the side when closed and on the bottom in the open position.

Sam

Attachments

• IMG_1445_2.jpg
    IMG_1445_2.jpg
    19.2 KB · Views: 213
  • IMG_1456_4.jpg
    IMG_1456_4.jpg
    23.3 KB · Views: 208
  • IMG_1463_5.jpg
    IMG_1463_5.jpg
    21.1 KB · Views: 230
  • IMG_1455_3.jpg
    IMG_1455_3.jpg
    22 KB · Views: 206
  • IMG_1448_1.jpg
    IMG_1448_1.jpg
    20.3 KB · Views: 207
Sam, a word of advice for what its worth you need to put a serial #and city and state where manufactured this will stop a whole bunch of headaches if you are ever stopped by the police. george

Sam, a word of advice for what its worth you need to put a serial #and city and state where manufactured this will stop a whole bunch of headaches if you are ever stopped by the police. george

George, the first photo in the batch shows that information. The number also needs to be recorded even if just made for your own use as you can't rely on memory to remember the serial number even if it is L 001. You make another one and have it serial numbered S 001. One of them gets stolen and then you can't remember what the prefix was you put on the one that was stolen. I built an action for a benchrest rifle that my father in law shot for awhile. It had a 001 serial number with a prefix, but I couldn't remember what the serial number was after it was stolen from his house. I wound up getting the rifle back, though about 10 years after it was stolen and it had changed hands a number of times. It had a sako style extractor on it that had broken and the new owner wanted it repaired. I'm sure we would have gotten it back a lot sooner if we would have known the serial number. Which brings another point, everyone needs to have all their make, model and serial numbers recorded for their own benefit. You can't ever tell when you might need the serial number in case a rifle or other firearm is stolen and the list needs to be kept up to date.

George, here is a better pic of the city and state, and the number is on both the action and the bolt.
Sam

Attachments

• IMG_1428.jpg
    IMG_1428.jpg
    26.9 KB · Views: 167
Back