Are Machinists Skills Necessary?

At my Shop, we buy a lot of steel.

None of it is made in the USA. Most comes from Eastern European Mills that used to be part of the Soviet Block.

8 and 9 inch bars of 1022.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    39.2 KB · Views: 256
Last edited:

None of it is made in the USA. Most comes from Eastern European Mills that used to be part of the Soviet Block.

That's disheartening. Have you noticed any problems with that foreign steel that you didn't used to see with our domestic stuff?

I used to have a steel mill right in my backyard. It basically was this town. It was the largest employer in my whole county. Everybody worked there. Everybody got paid well, had retirement, and fed money back into the local economy. Several years ago, it shut down due to the "economy". China bought it. Every scrap right down to the blocks that lined the ovens. They paid to have it all shipped over there. Now we buy steel from them made on our equipment with half the quality.

Yep, we're in trouble.......

This is what I am talking about guys and gals. The next war, and there will be one because there always have been wars, will we build our ships and airplanes out of.....what?? Telephone call centers?? We were told in the Nixon era we would be used as a service society. That was a slight misstatement. We will be the servants of this ruling class. Read he Babylonian Talmud!!

Nixon opened up Communist China, Clinton gave them Most Favored Nation Status. GW Bush opened up Communist Vietnam just before he left office. Now tell me the GOP and the Dems are who we need to support come 2016!

.(sorry CCBW, guess we need a political section in this forum)

Hey i just got off a 19,000 ton coal train this morning- 112 aluminum cars and 5 engines- 4 up front. Smooth wyoming coal headed to rodemache, la (sp). I love driving severely overpowered coal trains in the hills.

Hey i just got off a 19,000 ton coal train this morning- 112 aluminum cars and 5 engines- 4 up front. Smooth wyoming coal headed to rodemache, la (sp). I love driving severely overpowered coal trains in the hills.

And its destination was Pittsburg to fire steel furnaces I'll bet.

Jerry your right on that where?
Heaven forbid another big war that we are involved in''
What companies would be able to retool to make the goods needed to supply us.

OK, back to the machinist skills question. If a BR shooter wants to chamber benchrest quality barrels, true actions and such they need to know more about machining and safe machine tool operation than the average Trailways bus driver.

Could the average BR shooter learn the necessary skills. yes.

Do they need to and will they, a few will and a few will not.

For example, Faye Boyer, who has more HOF points than all the posters on this forum combine fries a mean Southern Fried Chicken but running a lathe hasn't helped her yet and probably never will!!!

Back to the original question, which was way before the political statement.
Are machinist skills necessary?
No

Francis, you don't have to have machinist skills to shoot benchrest, but it certainly doesn't hurt. If you don't chamber your own barrels, don't make your own bullets, turn your own brass, then you'd better be a good planner. Plan ahead and you don't have to do any of that. I like the sign that states, "Lack of planning on your part, doesn't constitute an emeregency on my part." Planning ahead solves lots of problems.

Back