ARA target dimensions

Q

qallen

Can anyone tell me the exact dimensions of the ARA target? I would need circle sizes, lines thickness, dot size, box size. I would like to use AutoCad to print some practice targets on card stock.

Thanks Shorty

I appreciate your reply. I have tried printing the ARA target PDF file. It comes out fuzzy. Also unless you print it to fit you don't get the whole target. Then it’s out of proportion. Even if you print with no scaling, I am not sure the proportioning is totally correct. If I had the dimensions of the box and everything in it, I could print as many as would fit and they would be clear and the right dimensions.

$100

500 targets for $100 at ARA. I'm sure they will sell them to someone interested in starting a club in your area.

Well, it is an 11x17 page, IIRC. And I know, it's fuzzy, that's just their fault. I emailed them before asking if they would put up a good copy, but no reply. And I would say that printed without scaling should give you the correct size. What worries me about ordering targets from them is, if the copy they put up there is fuzzy, are the ones they sell made from the same document?
I appreciate your reply. I have tried printing the ARA target PDF file. It comes out fuzzy. Also unless you print it to fit you don't get the whole target. Then it’s out of proportion. Even if you print with no scaling, I am not sure the proportioning is totally correct. If I had the dimensions of the box and everything in it, I could print as many as would fit and they would be clear and the right dimensions.

Copywrite

If you will look at the top of an ARA target, you will see that it is copywrited. No reason for them to put a non-fuzzy pdf for everyone to copy & print at will.

Well, it is an 11x17 page, IIRC. And I know, it's fuzzy, that's just their fault. I emailed them before asking if they would put up a good copy, but no reply. And I would say that printed without scaling should give you the correct size. What worries me about ordering targets from them is, if the copy they put up there is fuzzy, are the ones they sell made from the same document?

I sincerely doubt they use the black and white sample target for there regulation blue targets. Plus if you order from them you will get the same targets that are used at all ARA matches. Also if you ask your match director I bet he will be more then happy to give you a couple targets to practice on.

I could be wrong, but I think the copy right at the top of the target is for the name "American Rimfire Association, Inc.", not the target, but I could be wrong and will freely admit it if I am.
Bill

Last edited by a moderator:
And we all know it's impossible to copy one of the targets they sell, too, so that must be it. ;)
If you will look at the top of an ARA target, you will see that it is copywrited. No reason for them to put a non-fuzzy pdf for everyone to copy & print at will.

Ask

Ask your local printer if the will make you an exact copy of a Copywrited item without permission. Most will not without written authorization. Ask ARA if they will give you that or maybe just sell you a sample pack of 25.

ARA targets

I've always found it interesting why someone would go to the trouble and expense, which will probably exceed the price of an original, to make a COPY of a copyrighted item. ARA sells a package of 25 targets for $10, shipped to you in a large, bubble padded envelope. That's 40 cents per target by my math. What will a fuzzy copy or a copy of a copy cost you and what will you have when it's all done? If you want lots of targets or a lower per-target cost, buy 500 targets for $100. That's 20 cents per target. Why not go with the original and eliminate all this fuss? These are the same targets that are used in ARA competition.

Order through the ARA website or by phone. Order and they'll be sent. Send payment when you get them. End of problem.

Macky Locklin

How do you copyright a target? I'm pretty sure I can beat 20 cents a target just by going to the office store and having card stock copies made, and 100% sure I could beat 40 cents. I think it cost me something like 15 or 16 cents a piece to get a bunch of them done before from that fuzzy PDF. But I'd rather have a crisper image, so I figured out the dimensions and made my own in Pellant Airgun software anyway, and it was no fuss. Why should ARA be the one and only source for a target? And why would it bother you if there were other ways to get the same targets? If I can make them or get them made more cheaply than their price, guess what I'll choose? If they're willing to put up a copy for download at all, why should it be fuzzy? What does it really do for them? You would think the reason for putting one up there is so people can print off their own to practice with. Perhaps originals from them are required in sanctioned competition, which is fine, but sanctioned competition isn't the only time or place one can shoot that particular target. If I want to shoot a million targets I shouldn't have to buy each and every one from them just to get decent copies of them.

Me thinks you may have a misunderstanding of the copywrite laws. You certainly can copywrite a target and ARA has done so. If you make copies, you are breaking the law. A fuzzy copy on the web lets people know what it looks like without making it easy for them to rip off ARA by copying the target. Buy your targets and support the game, whichever game you choose.

Macky,
Seems simple enough, and the price seems very fair at 20 cent each, that's about what a round of match ammo costs?

Or you could have a misunderstanding. If you would be so kind, point out where on ARA's website does it say what you can and cannot do with the copy of target that they have put up to be freely downloaded by anyone and everyone. All I see is a download link to the target, that anyone can download without barrier, and it seems we can do as we please with it.
Me thinks you may have a misunderstanding of the copywrite laws. You certainly can copywrite a target and ARA has done so. If you make copies, you are breaking the law. A fuzzy copy on the web lets people know what it looks like without making it easy for them to rip off ARA by copying the target. Buy your targets and support the game, whichever game you choose.

Airgun target

I believe the new Airgun Target is also copyrighted. Maybe you can do USBR's or IR50/50 targets while you're at it. Don't just cheat ARA, do all the organizations.

Theft of intelectual property is no less a theft than stealing out of a store.

Back