Any special techniques when loading for a black nitrided barrel?

I did the work, tried not to screw up the lines, but I can see a few mistakes. Thanks anyhow. Here it is as I was working it down. You can see soem parts I missed on the frame, but most of those are covered by the grips.

phase2.jpg

Here are the pieces when i got them back:

Blacknitride.jpg

I think H&M does great work, and I'm finishing up a test on the stuff now, which I will run in PS in a few months.

I had a 3--284X1.650 Nitrided a couple of years ago now. I had to add .5g of powder to get back "on the Node" but think a faster powder may now be in order. To that end I am going to try a couple in the next few days. Perhaps this would open the door for a PPC to slide up a notch in powder speed, like N-130 or H-4198 or Re-7 or that nice Norma offering.

Just talked to Joel Kendrick of Mimi Trutec. They are back taking barrels and parts one at a time. No more lots or dealers only. I am at the Super Shoot and am not on the net except a little in the evening.
Butch

Well, I'm at over 900 rounds down this tube and cannot get the accuracy out of it which I expected. All too often the barrel apparently just throws a shot, which absolutely should not have been dropped. Those that do group cluster tightly, and several powders and bullets have been tested in very small powder intervals, seeking the nodes.

The barrel does clean easily, that's about all I got for the money and the waiting time.

It would appear to be the case, though frankly I can't see how that could be. Barrel is super smooth doesn't foul, but it just will not group or be consistent. I tried TAC today and chronographed a ladder test right through the best node I have found, and there was no repeat ability found what so ever. It is going to be stripped down and rebuilt on a different receiver and we shall see if anything turns up in the process. Large volume of ammunition has shown me what a 1 MOA rifle or worse can be like to shoot... stressful!

Appreciate the comments

Back