Andy Cross

Andy Cross

I am slowly making the transition back into benchrest shooting after a 20 year absence. Much has changed. I recently saw an image of a new rail gun with what looked like an old style unertyl scope on it with external adjustments on it. Surely it wasn't one of those old scopes but perhaps someone has begun making them again. Can anyone tell me what brand of scope it was. Are these types of optics and click adjustments making a come back.

Andy.

Andy

Welcome Back. You are correct, a lot has changed.

As for the optics on a Rail Gun, I would not use such an antiquated set-up as the old Unertl. There are so many Benchrest Scopes being manufactured at this time, you can pick and choose.

A Rail Gun does not normally put much stress on a scope, so any good 36 to 60 power Benchrest scope will do just fine. I have a 45x Leupold on mine, it has been on there for over seven years, and it gives me great service. The optics on the 45x Leupold are about as good as it gets.

A scope suitable to sit atop a Rail Gun can vary in price from a $350 36x Weaver to a $2500 March. As I said before, Railguns do not tend to "eat scopes", so let your pocketbook dictate your choice.

That scope

I had forgotten about the Mitchel scopes. But I think the objective housing is too large to be either a unertyl or a mitches or a redfield 3200 for that matter.

I am not sure if I have done things correctly but I have tried to attach a small jpeg image of the scope to this post.

Regards,
Andy.

Attachments

• railgun1.jpg
    railgun1.jpg
    10.3 KB · Views: 245
I believe that is a Mitchel. Both Tom Dickson and Butch Fisher had those on their rails here in the N.W. John Parrish has Butches rail and scope now.

Rick Graham

Attachments

• Butches rail s.jpg
    Butches rail s.jpg
    32 KB · Views: 186
So I wonder why someone would spend all that money on building a new rail - well looks pretty new to me - and then put an antique scope which at best has mediocre performance.

I was beginning to think it may have been a custom scope. Is there anyone in the world doing custom scopes ? Does anyone know if Deon optical in Japan who make the March scopes do any custom work ?

Andy.

Back