An interesting lathe clutch

Pete Wass

I watch a fellow on Youtube who is called Mr Pragmatic Lee, who is a hobbyist at machine work. He has a 9" Precision Matthews lathe, which he speaks highly of. In a recent video he rebuilt the slip clutch on the drive mechanism, which comes on that lathe model. It is nothing more that two collars on a divided drive shaft, one side has two slots, 90 degrees apart for balls to fit in and a mating collar with tapped holes for balls and springs to fit in, backed up by grub screws for adjustability. If I get to it this summer, I intend to make one for my lathe, which has a similar drive system.

Pete

As Artie Johnson use to say

That type of “clutch” can be seen on many belt driven equipment, including some lawn mowers.

Verrrrry Interestink. I don't recall ever seeing one before. It's way better than crashing a tool and not being able to stop it quickly, I was a a-thinkin.
I'm easily flustered and tend to lock up when "something Happens". Never having been trained or not working with the lathe enough to become one with it does cause some consternation.

Pete

I watch a fellow on Youtube who is called Mr Pragmatic Lee, who is a hobbyist at machine work. He has a 9" Precision Matthews lathe, which he speaks highly of. In a recent video he rebuilt the slip clutch on the drive mechanism, which comes on that lathe model. It is nothing more that two collars on a divided drive shaft, one side has two slots, 90 degrees apart for balls to fit in and a mating collar with tapped holes for balls and springs to fit in, backed up by grub screws for adjustability. If I get to it this summer, I intend to make one for my lathe, which has a similar drive system.

Pete

Google "ball detent torque limiter" you can buy them in all ratings from your local bearing/power transmission distributor.

Back