Ammo!

tonykharper

Ammo has always been a much-discussed topic among rimfire shooters. But I don't think I've ever heard more crying about it than this past two years. Actually, back in 2014 when Eley gave up on making true quality ammo there was a lot of crying, but most moved on to Lapua and weren't too disappointed.

Then the pandemic happened, then the war, and now it is hard to find great Lapua. Hence, all the crying.

There is a solution.

Many clubs around the world solved this problem years ago. These clubs recognized that some lots are just better than others and accepted that as a fact.

To give all the shooters an equal chance they issued the ammo to be shot in their matches. When you signed up, they gave you your targets and two boxes of ammo for each target. The issued ammo at the time was Eley Benchrest Gold (which was very good back in the day) all competitors were issued the same lot number.

The matches that I attended in the UK went pretty well. Yea, there were comments made. "My rifle doesn't shoot this stuff" etc, etc. But that was pretty much laughed off and the match went on.

I doubt this will ever be done here but it is a solution.

The question is: do we really want everyone to have an equal chance? Or do we like the ammo chase so much we want it to continue to be a major part of the overall game?

TKH

Last edited:
Finding good ammo is just part of the game, kinda like reloading in centerfire. I agree it's a huge PITA, but it is just one of the discriminators in winning. The equipment, ammo and shooter are all important parts of this sport. If we got issued ammo, the equipment game would also drop, as part of getting good equipment set up is tying it to good ammo.

NASCAR basically took the path you describe. It seems they determined that the fans and revenue was based mostly on what driver you liked and the competition between them. Now they make every car basically identical so it boils down to the drivers. The manufacturers are much less a piece of that puzzle. I remember back in the 70's winning manufacturers sold cars. Now it seems like drag racing at a street/NPK/outlaw is drawing in the manufacturers and we are seeing a lots of participation. Look at all the Dodge commercials.

I get tired of the ammo deal, but I wouldn't be in favor of changing it. People that are willing to spend the time and effort do better. Lot's of competitors view the prep as the most important, others the trigger pull. A significant number of shooters would lose the part of the sport that draws them in if the game becomes only a game for the trigger pull.

It comes up from time to time, however, first since ammo has become so tough, how many clubs are likely going to jump through those hoops.
Second, since we all know so many rifles shoot well with specific lots, strikes me as a step backwards.
Lastly, while currently it’s a largely a Lapua game, there is a fair amount of ELEY around and I suspect that means lots that will be better than many, if not most shooters ability on any given day.

Last edited:
Here is my idea. Lapua/Eley sponsor the event and show up with ammo from as many different lots as practical. Competitors are required to use ammo from those lots only. You buy ammo to test, choose from what is available to compete with and have the option of buying in quantity at any time. I would set aside an entire day for testing before the competition.

I think this levels the ammo playing field and facilitates quantity purchases of lot tested ammo. I also see the potential for fisticuffs.

I always saw chasing ammo as part of the game, if you wanted to be competitive. Most years I bought between 8 to 12 cases, and sold off what I didn't need. However, chasing ammo was the worst part of the game, and most expensive. I don't compete any longer, but I do watch the results and scores from matches. I will say, from the scores, ammo is a lot better than it was when I was shooting. I noticed in the recent Triple Crown match, the IR5050 portion, winning targets were 250-24X, 250-23x, and 250-23x. Phenomenal scores!

Years ago, when I competed & had some success, I held a FFL & bought & sold ammo. I developed a strong relationship with a sales lady at ?? don't remember the name for sure, maybe Midsouth. They were the Lapau importer. Anyway she called me everytime they received a new shipment. It wasn't a huge amount of ammo coming in. Sometimes I'd buy it all & test it. I kept what I wanted & sold the rest at my cost. I told my customers exactly what I was doing, no profit & still some people tried to talk me down !!!!!!

My club is trying a Mini-Palma Match with club supplied ammo this year. The match sponsors argued that using relatively inexpensive (Eley Contact) common ammo would encourage new participation. So far the only participants are the four guys that thought it up. The serious club shooters aren't particularly interested in shooting below their potential with a self imposed handicap, and no new participants have taken the bait. Most of our newer/younger competitors gravitate to PR22 or silhouette type games.

Equal chance of winning?

Or... the equal chance of losing.

Why not just hand out lottery scratch-off tickets?

Same idea but a lot quicker.

In this country, at least,

The Shooting Sports seem to be about winning and those wanting to win do everything within the rules and their power to do so, from my experience. Participation may be embraced by the younger folks but not anyone with a little age on them, I don't think.

Pete

Maybe have different divisions in $-Price Ranges ? Most rifles will shoot "sorta-OK" with a 'brand' in various price levels. I disagree with having all use the same ammo, even if it was 'high priced' it may not be the 'flavour' your rifle likes.
Why bother to handicap yourself ? Even my Savage-64s have a fave. :rolleyes:

Ammo search = equipment race , sort of exists in any sport, take golf ( which i do not do) but there is the newest flavor of club for any particular purpose, Bowling always a new flavor of ball covering, and the list spans just about every sport, refreshments also:D

Hasn't the ammo chase always been part of this game?
Learn your gun... to shoot better. Tune correctly... to shoot better. Practice... to shoot better. Learn the wind... to shoot better. Lot testing ammo... to shoot better. I'm not sure there are any shortcuts to becoming a better shooter and shooting good targets. Yes, it is more difficult than it was a couple years ago, but it is difficult for everyone. Put in the work and get the reward. So some are suggesting I show up at a shoot and ammo is given to me? Then whatever happens, happens? That is the silliest thing I ever heard. The shooter with the luckiest draw of ammo would win. This wouldn't reward or identify the best shooter(s). This would be more like playing the lottery.

Why I Won't Compete In A Match Requiring Everyone To Use The Same Ammo

The photo shows 3 groups that were shot back to back with the same SA M1922 with Dubiel barrel and Canjar trigger, on the same day, in consistent conditions with 3 different match ammos (Lapua OSP, Federal UM22, & RWS R-50. Eley Match was also used, with results like the OSP, but didn't fit in the photo.). There is just no way to know how the rifle you bring will shoot with common, club supplied ammo, let alone how your competitors' rifles will. Identical ammo does not assure marksmanship prevails. In fact, it makes one key element in the marksman's system performance a total crapshoot.

20230609_132047.jpg

Back