Ammo Costs, etc.. is it time?????

Reg,
I love it! My V-Star gets 40+mpg, but I'd have to add a sidecar for the dog and my fiancee would have to ride on the back. Add the trailer, and I'd be burning as much gas as a small car...but we'd definitely have more fun getting to the match!

Ah, Pete, now you've done it! Please remember to forward the PM's you're about to get to me when you share them with the rest of the NE shooting community.
Todd

Keith - I've encountered the exact same problem with Wolf which is why I use Eley for matches. I recently set up a chronograph during a practice session with Wolf and whenever a shot dropped at the 6 o'clock position the chrono showed a major drop in velocity.

Same thing here

"What I find is the strange fliers I get from the occasional round of Wolf. Not one round out just a little but one round out a lot. Not the difference from the 10 ring, to the 9 ring. it's from the 10 ring to the 7 ring. Normally falling out the bottom. That one shot can and will cost you the match! "

Same thing for the guys at our club. You can be shooting just fine and then drop a nice on in the black on a RBA target. At that point, you're done.

Sk and Wolf is good ammo, but just too many "droppers" in each box.

I have some great guns most of which are new builds. I find this thread about ammo prices agrees with my thinking totally. They are absolutely outrageous. I thought about this year and shooting so I decided to spend the money. Ever see what 4 cases of Eley will buy? Just take a look at my new Rifle to shoot it in also. Maybe I'll fire a round or two next year.....and maybe not.

Attachments

• vtx1300c5-1a.jpg
    vtx1300c5-1a.jpg
    22.7 KB · Views: 367
Last edited by a moderator:
Way to go tim probably one less club to shoot at this summer,
at least for you!!
Pete

Pete I'm lost, you want to translate this for me?
My earlier response was to the first post, no other, as in high cost? wife shoots? new wife? Duh.

Last edited:
Ammo prices in Australia

I’ve been reading these posts with interest and wondered how U.S. ammo prices compared to what we are paying here in Australia. Here are some average prices in U.S, dollars we are paying in Australia.

Eley EPS Black box $14.54 per box
Eley 10X Red Box $25.40 per box
Lapua Midas (L and M) $15.30 per box

It's almost enough to make you go to the Dark side and shoot Centre fire. Oh and Petrol is already around the U.S $5.00 per gallon.

Allen,

Black box here is going for 9.75
Red box is now close to 13.50
Lapua Master M 7.25

Rick.

Aussie Ammo

Thanks Ric, it looks that we are paying nearly twice the amount you are. The excuse often given here is that the price rises are caused by the increase in lead prices. Hard to believe this when I can buy 500 12 Guage Remington trap for less than a brick of Rimfire. There's more lead in a shotshell than in a Rimfire bullet.

John...

I thought about that when we decided on a format for our upcomng matches in Harrison...

I know this will give ARA true believers gas but we decided to go with the outlaw format used very successfully by Joe Haller up in the U.P. (The last Haller match I went to had about 40 shooters.) We are going to shoot one 25 bull target at 25 yds. and one at 50 yds. If you want to buy and shoot additional targets, up to two more targets at each distance, we will sell you same for $2.00 each... you and everyone else so it's fair.

You can come away from our matches having used only two boxes of ammo. That's half the amount you use in a four card ARA match.

My experience is that, with sighters, I use about one box of ammo per target. In our matches I can compete and only use two boxes if I want. I can shoot a total of six targets and use six boxes if I want... my choice. At aprox $15.00 a box for the good stuff, shooting six boxes per match can get expensive.

I hope you and Linda can make our first match June 7th. We are using IBS 50 yd. rimfire targets. The will be probably be several 500 scores shot, at least in the BR class, and you will win with X's. The X dot is 1/16" in dia. I chose the IBS target because it's a bit larger and might not intimidate factory gun shooters as much as the ARA or other more difficult targets.

One question I have is how to break a tie if two people shoot 500 - 50X. Any suggestions?

The club has approved our dates and the board is cooperating... this has not always been so. We have excellent new benches at both 25 and 50 yds. and can shoot both ranges simultaneously.

One question I have is how to break a tie if two people shoot 500 - 50X. Any suggestions?.

I discovered a new word on another site: wipeouts. If the dot is completely obliterated its a wipeout. If there is any of the dot showing it's not a wipeout. Most wipeouts wins.

Last edited:
If you want to save money, practice with Wolf and shot matches with Eley.

Exchange Rate

When I visited downunder in 2000, the exchange rate was around 1 to 1.7. In other words, at th bank, a $1000 Travelers check would return $1700 AUS. So It appears that the value would be close to the same.

Dick Wright and the frozen Mavericks . . .

Most of the rules we use here in Michigan's Upper Peninsula come from the USBR rule book. Most of the ones we don't use are related to the weight classes.

But: Talking about "TIE SCORES":

Tie scores are rare on the USBR target, because of the difficulty of getting an X. You must "wipe out" the .100" ten ring to get an X. That is a little tougher than wiping out a .031" dot.

On tie breakers, from the USBR rules:
--------------------------------------------------
1. Tied Score
If two, or more, competitors shoot the same score, the X-count will be used to break the tie. If, after including the X-count, the scores are still tied, the scores will be reported as a tie. (Example: if the third and fourth place finishers both shoot a 240-6x, both their positions will be recorded as 3T, and the next place will be 5.)

The Host Club may use any other method to break ties on a local level, such as holding a shoot-off or comparing individual bulls in a specific order. USBR recommends that this only be done when physical awards are at stake. When such procedures are used, the results should be included in the match report so they can be posted in the newsletter.
--------------------------------------------------
We have had a rare tie on occasion UP here on the Canadian Boarder. When we do, we give duplicate awards. Our awards are pretty cheap: Cost less than a buck, but they are unique. And: Yes, we sometimes have matches in the middle of the winter UP here.

Jan2007.jpg

Joe Haller (Mr. Frosty)

Joe...

We score an X if the hole touches the dot using the standard plugs. The post above suggesting "Wipeouts" sounds good for a tiebreaker.

We will probably have some ties among the better shooters due to the easier target we have chosen. We have some real rookies in the club that are planning to shoot. I don't want to scare them too badly with a tough target till they get a chance to try the game.

Using the IBS targets at 25 yards, I'm guessing the better shooters will get a lot of 250 scores with quite a few of 25 "X's". We'll probably have quite a few 250's at 50 yds. also, especially from those shooting BR rifles.

Rules regarding ties from IR50/50.

D. Ties
The Referees will check the targets starting with the #1 target block. First target block with higher points shot wins. If tie still exists after checking target blocks 1 through 25, go to #1 target block and check X's. The first one who gets an X and the other one does not match it wins. If tie still exists, go to #1 target block and the first X completely plugged out wins if not matched by other competitor.

Ken

On ammo prices...

The major reason for our increased costs for ammo is the value of the dollar vs the Euro. As the dollar loses value vs the euro it simply takes more of them to buy a case of ammo.

It ain't no pinko-commie plot... blame our politicians.

It ain't no pinko-commie plot... blame our politicians.

No - your bankers. They were the ones who loaned squillions of dollars to customers who couldn't afford to pay them back to buy overpriced homes that have since dropped in value because your bankers loaned squillions of dollars to customers who couldn't afford to pay them back to buy overpriced homes that have since dropped in value because.....................

Back