advantage of high power scopes

Fred, I think it has to do with the camera's distance from the ocular. the weaver is about 20% larger diameter in the photo.

Eye Relief

Could make a differance. I'll see if I can get a measurement next time. The two targets are from different shooters. Could also mean the light was different for each target. Didn't think about that when I took the photos.The eye piece on the NF42 is black, while that of the adapter on the weaver is silver. I do know, that I see less of the complete target in the NF than I do in the weaver. Go figure.

fov on the night force is 2.34@100 yards and the fov of the weaver is 3.0 that's why you see less of the target.

Fred, when you take the picture make sure you turn off the auto exposure feature on the camera. Any time you increase the power of any scope you're going to lose some light gathering capacity which is not a big deal shooting in daytime but at some of these poorly light matches at night, it can be a problem.

Yes I plan on making another embarrassing showing on Friday and Saturday.

Thanks Fred, I've got reservations already. Do you need a ride or is Dorothy chaufferring you?

The question of whether a 36x is better than a 24x power scope can be answered somewhat by asking the question: Would you do better if your target was moved from 50 yards back to 33 yards?

True, assuming you can deal with the mirage on a 36, and your eyes are good, I suspect lots of shooters using 36X and higher would often do better if they had a 24X to go to. I include myself in that group. I frequently shoot my NF 12-42 at about 25X and almost never at 42X. No such choice with my 36 Weavers. bob

scope choice

Thanks Bob for your experience and insight. A Nightforce 14x-42x is the scope I'm looking very seriously at.

I thought it is interesting

I shot in a 50/50 match a few weeks ago and had, with the exception of two shots WAAAAY out in the black, a better target with the Sporter rifle than I did with the other rifle. Both of them shot excelently but I got more exes with the 6x scope.

I had a 45x Leup comp scope on my CF VFS rifle but found it to be too much magnification for me at 100 YDS. It caused me to over hold and I didn't like being so up close and personal. I traded it for a 40X and like that better.

Perhaps because most of my shooting has been done witha 6 X scope in the past makes me different ?

Back