Action recommendation please

7mmWSM

I vote for Kelby or BAT short action in 7mm WSM not bad recoil load it light with light bullets very easy to shoot. If you like add a small muzzle break. I shoot mine without a muzzle break. This cartridge is accurate with Berger hybrids easy to load. Good for 600 yrd. plus from the bench. I have over 800 rounds down range throat and barrel still look good through the Hawkeye.

Last edited by a moderator:
7BR seems like a great choice for your area. Bat doesn't list three lug as an option for the VR, but you might ask them. Their roller cocking cam is a nice feature. While they list the integral rail, an integral recoil lug is not listed. They do a bolt-on lug that goes under the middle of the action for single shots. If there is room, maybe they could bolt the lug in front of the magazine?

I haven't heard of BAT offering the VR in a 3 lug. Mine has an integral picatinny rail and integral recoil lug at the front of the action right where a Remington sandwich style lug would be. BAT does make a 3 lug in a benchrest action, but I have not heard of one with a magazine cut. The Thom brothers (BAT) have made many one off custom actions over the years, so it would not hurt to call them. It is possible to get BR cartridges to feed from a magazine! You just have to find one of the guys that knows how to do it. Mike Bryant used to sell a shortened BDL magazine and follower which would work if the installer knew how to fine tune it.

I also wonder why you need a 3 lug action. You are likely to fall in love with your first BAT whatever model it is.

I haven't heard of BAT offering the VR in a 3 lug. Mine has an integral picatinny rail and integral recoil lug at the front of the action right where a Remington sandwich style lug would be. BAT does make a 3 lug in a benchrest action, but I have not heard of one with a magazine cut. The Thom brothers (BAT) have made many one off custom actions over the years, so it would not hurt to call them. It is possible to get BR cartridges to feed from a magazine! You just have to find one of the guys that knows how to do it. Mike Bryant used to sell a shortened BDL magazine and follower which would work if the installer knew how to fine tune it.

I also wonder why you need a 3 lug action. You are likely to fall in love with your first BAT whatever model it is.

Sounds like the wish list is covered then, so long as BAT will do three lugs! I like the concept of this rifle.

I agree about 2 versus 3 lug. Each has slight advantages and disadvantages. It's just that some, me included, have a personal preference for 3 lugs.

I doubt youll get a repeater from bat in a 3l and if you do the coned bolt probably wont feed. I prefer 2 lugs so i dont have to use twice as much force to lift the bolt. My railgun has 3 lugs but its kinda heavy

Joel Russo of http://russoriflestocks.com/ is working with Chase Curtis on a new action design that sounds like it may be everything you are looking for. I can't tell you much more about it because they are still finishing up with design changes and have not put out any pictures or more detailed information. If you get in touch with Joel, he will have the scoop.

How about a John Pierce?

I believe John Pierce makes actions. A friend use to get his gun work done by John and is very high on his work. Apparently John also builds all manor of race car engines so has a very high reputation. There are a number of actions that I would choose over a Benchrest Type action for a hunting rifle. The Bordens also make some fine hunting rifles on their actions.

Pete

Back