? about a 25-06

H

hogtiming

Do they make a caliber that is better then the 25-06 meaning a 25 br or the 25 dasher. can you tell me about them if their is

Question needs better definition

Before anyone even tries to answere this you have to define the question better. Who are "they" and better cal than 25-06 for doing what ? and for what ever you intend to do are you fixed on .25 cal ?

I really liked

my 25-06 for whitetail deer in KS where the range could be 75 yards to as far as you were comfortable shoting. But when I decided to thin out my safe I sold my 25-06 and kept my 6.55X55. I put both on the table with the intention of keeping the one that didn't sell first. The velocity of my 2 guns with 120 br. bullets was within 25 fps of each other. The 6.5 will handle bigger bullets if one wants to shoot bigger and or heavier game. Max

25-06

I am shooting a 25-06AI and do very well killing groundhogs 600 yard shots usually take 2 shots or less. I am not going to say its better than a 25-06 factory because I have never owned that caliber. However I am very happy with what I have.

I have a Cal for ya!!!
How about a 250 Savage?? Its fun to shoot, like no recoil, barrel last a looong time.:)
I just bought a Sav American Classic in a 250 Sav and love it, I always wanted one of these.

What every happened to Jack Rush from P.S magazine??

Last edited by a moderator:
.250 Savage

I have a Cal for ya!!!
How about a 250 Savage?? Its fun to shoot, like no recoil, barrel last a looong time.:)
I just bought a Sav American Classic in a 250 Sav and love it, I always wanted one of these.

What every happened to Jack Rush from P.S magazine??

Even better is a .250 Savage A.I.. I was going to get a barrel chambered in
.257 Roberts A.I. until a friend told me to compare the ballistics of the two in the new Sierra manual. Wow, the .250 Savage A.I. keeps up with the .257 Roberts A.I. with less powder up to about 100 grain bullets. I had a Pac Nor Super Match stainless barrel chambered in .250 Sav. A.I. with a 1 in 9" twist. This is a really fun caliber.

Lou Baccino

Lou
I want one of those TOO! :cool:
Jack Rush wrote some really cool articles on the 250 sav and the 250 A.I back in the 90s.

I rebarreled a 30-06 700 Rem to 25-06
Most accurate hunting rifle I've had in 45 yrs.
Last hunt:

294 yrds (with range finder) - Antelope looking directly at me face on

One shot through the neck...took out the spine completely. Dropped in his tracks:cool:

.250 Savage A.I.

Lou
I want one of those TOO! :cool:
Jack Rush wrote some really cool articles on the 250 sav and the 250 A.I back in the 90s.

I'm going to the range tomorrow to re-verify a previous load I had shot with 87 grn. Speer TNTs and RL 15. This caliber looks very promising for a punishing varmint caliber. Do yourself a favor and look at the ballistics for this cal. in a new Sierra manual. It looks like a very efficient caliber.

Lou Baccino

Some of This Is True

But some of this is a tad miss leading.

What if someone said, "a 300 Win WSM will keep up with a 300 RUM.

We all know it won't if both are loaded to their potential. Simply put, one holds more powder.

Where the 25-06 really overpowers the smaller cases is when you start shooting 100+ grn bullets. About 12 years ago, I had a 40x Rangmaster in 25-06, and it shot three 115 grn Bergers into 1/2 inch, at a little over 3100 fps. That's not going to happen with a 250 Ackly.

One day we took some of the Match 85 grn Fowler Bullets that I shot in my 25BR and loaded them to max velocity. 3700 fps. Accuracy was terrible, but when tamed down to 3500 or so, they shot pretty darned good. I know that the efficiency is not very good, but the 25-06, along with the 257 Weatherby, are the kings of 1/4 bore when you want to really get nasty.......jackie

.25 cal

In my opinion the .25 cal is underrated as varmint and big game cal. For that combined purpose its hard to find anything better.

I have shot .25 BR improved (essentially .25 Dasher) .25-08 Improved .25-06 and 25-06 AI.

Other things equal the more volume the case has the more velocity potential is has also. As a sideffect it will also have more recoil and burn barrel faster. On the other hand each additional grain of powder will give you less and less increase in velocity the larger the case gets.

For an example the .25 BR improved will give you about 3100 fps with 100 gr bullet and some 32+ gr powder making it about as potent as .243. for deer hunting. 25-06AI will give the same bullet 3600 fps with almost double that amount of powder. 25-08 Improved is there in between with 3300-3400 fps for that 100 gr bullet with almost 50 gr powder.

None of this cartridge is better than the other they are just different animals so which to choose depends on what you intend to use it for and your preferences. All are accurate with right components and rifles.

As .25shooter said, first you need to decide what would make one "better" than another.

About this:

Even better is a .250 Savage A.I.. I was going to get a barrel chambered in
.257 Roberts A.I. until a friend told me to compare the ballistics of the two in the new Sierra manual. Wow, the .250 Savage A.I. keeps up with the .257 Roberts A.I. with less powder up to about 100 grain bullets. I had a Pac Nor Super Match stainless barrel chambered in .250 Sav. A.I. with a 1 in 9" twist. This is a really fun caliber.

Lou Baccino

Don't be going by what the Sierra manual says, it won't be so in real life.
The .250AI is a good one but it's not the same as a .257AI.

25x284

i did a 25x284 . my reamer is for lapua brass with a very light neck turn, and this thing is a lazer. it actually betters the 2506 by about 100 fps and is very accurate. i was a 2506 person till i did one of these.

I don't own a 25-06 but have a .257AI 1-10" and .250AI 1-10 " and 1-12". I really like 25's but if limited to 1 Rifle my 250 Sav., M700 Classic would be my choice overall, it does all I ever could ask for in a rifle. :)

I've killed lots of critters with my great grandmothers 257 roberts and 120gr handloads.

25-06 is a great round and the 257wby is a lazer w/ the 110 accubond and the solid x x x bullet.

pf
<><

Do they make a caliber that is better then the 25-06 meaning a 25 br or the 25 dasher. can you tell me about them if their is

What is your deffinition of Better?

More velocity?
More accuracy?
Less recoil?
Less powder?
The term better is very vague and I have no Idea what you are asking!
Please be more specific.

Back