A question for score shooters

Richard

Was thinking about holding a VFS match maybe in the fall of this year. Already have made the boards for 100-200 and also 300. Targets are on hand.

The question I had on scoring was the 300 yd target. Can you shoot a wipe-out at 300 with a 6mm? I have only shot one VFS match and really don't know much about score shooting. Is a scoring reticle a must have tool or are there other ways. Just looking ahead at potential world record stuff and want to make sure I do everything correctly. I looked in the rule book but must have missed something somewhere.
Thanks,

Richard Brensing

I doubt it has ever been an issue. But I do see your point.

I say just have the Match, and if anybody happens to shoot a potential record, just send the targets in and let the Records Committee sort it out.

I suggest getting a scoring reticle. This is a game of thousandths of a inch. I have seen matches won, and lost, by the smallest of margins.

Last edited:
Hi Richard. Hope you are having a good winter.
If you are planning on holding a registered score match - you will need to have a scoring reticle. Not just for world records - but for all scoring needs (X, 10, 9, etc) In terms of your 300 question; I believe the X ring is 3/16" = .1875 so yes a 6 mm bullet could score a wipe out - which would be pretty sweet - but does not mean anything because wipeouts only count once a person reaches 25X. I would be happy to help you in any way.

Stanley

Last edited:
wipeouts in rule book

Richard- you do need a scoring device for any yardage but you are extremely unlikely to need to count wipeouts at 300 yards because wipeouts only come into play when a 250 with 25X's is involved.

Per the rule book: 11.5.12. In the event of a tie of 250 and 25 X’s, then the scorer will break the tie by determining
the number of “wipeout” X’s. A wipeout X is defined as the complete X dot being fully
circumscribed by the caliber specific ring of the NBRSA scoring reticle.

Wayne Corley

I might add, who ever does the scoring, make sure they know how to use the reticle correctly.

Several years back, a Range in Texas had VFS Matches, and the person doing the scoring was, to put it mildly, inept. It caused quite a few problems as just about every relay had multiple shooters protesting their scores. I was a Referee at one match, and was called far too many times into the stat house. The guy simply did not understand the concept.

Regarding your Q

about a .243 shooting a wipeout at 300 yds, yes it can. the dot is .1875" however the only time a wipeout is going to be a consideration is if someone shoots a 250-25X, or has shot a 250-25X at 300!

Here is a picture of the NBRSA scoring ring bought it from NBRSA business manger years ago.
Dean Thomas

Attachments

• 13142B4B-245C-4EC4-9588-870F087DDE38.jpeg
    13142B4B-245C-4EC4-9588-870F087DDE38.jpeg
    32.8 KB · Views: 226
  • 80F5CFB8-16E4-4E7A-BA12-5D12607EFEC6.jpeg
    80F5CFB8-16E4-4E7A-BA12-5D12607EFEC6.jpeg
    28.2 KB · Views: 291
  • 23D39172-FDE3-44E9-B1C9-CDE5342BFB92.jpeg
    23D39172-FDE3-44E9-B1C9-CDE5342BFB92.jpeg
    28.9 KB · Views: 216
Got things all sorted out

Got ahold of Frank Danisienka and he is going to make some scoring reticles. Had to order several so will sell some when I get them if anybody is interested.
Found some badash crystal on e-bay to go along with that. Progress!!

Richard Brensing

Hey Jason!! Thanks for the offer, Chet said you helped out!!

Got ahold of Frank Danisienka and he is going to make some scoring reticles. Had to order several so will sell some when I get them if anybody is interested.
Found some badash crystal on e-bay to go along with that. Progress!!

Richard Brensing

Hey Jason!! Thanks for the offer, Chet said you helped out!!

What calibers are on the reticle? Im assuming 224, 6mm, and 30cal. Would it have 22 rimfire as well?

It has

from .224 to .408 and everything in between. There are 12 different caliber's on the reticle but didn't see rimfire.
I just figured rimfire was the same as centerfire. Is that not right?
Richard

from .224 to .408 and everything in between. There are 12 different caliber's on the reticle but didn't see rimfire.
Richard

I'm pretty sure if you do all the work, feed them good, clean up after, plus give out pricey awards, no one will complain.

Richard

I believe rimfire is smaller.

I'm pretty sure if you do all the work, feed them good, clean up after, plus give out pricey awards, no one will complain.

Hi Charlie. You sure about that.....Only 3 shooters on Sunday. And they still had to complain....
It was mostly current events.....

Back