A modest propoal . . .

Charles E

curmudgeon
At the IBS 1,000 yard championships, or the Pennsylvania World Open, the usual format is an aggregate of two (sometimes three) targets.

From time to time, you can get stuck on a awful relay. I remember Steve Shelp winning his relay at the last Iowa Nationals, but it was the relay from Hell No. 624. He was the best in his relay, but he was now out of it for the tournament. I had one of those (two, actually), at the World Open. In one relay, a 25-inch group won the relay (& that wasn't me). Doesn't mater, the winner was toast.

Now the nice thing about the usual match is it is head to head; you are only shooting against the people on your own relay. If it's bad, it is usually bad for everybody.

If we ran these big matches like Track & Field, we could have a different format. Say, 100 rifles (per class), for 10 relays day one. Top six in each relay advance (60 shooters), and start day 2. That's 6 relays. Of those, the top five in each relay advance (30 shooters), and fire another target (3 more relays). The top three shooters in each relay advance for the final, which would then have 9 shooters. Top target in this "final" relay wins.

Such a format would keep the head-to-head aspect of our usual matches, and you'd have to shoot fairly bad not to get at least two targets.

what we do here in montana at our championship shoot is this. we draw and shoot light gun and heavy gun saturday. if you win your relay both group and score you get a 1 and a 1 for a sum of 2. if you get second for both it's a 2 and 2 for a sum of 4 and so on. we then redraw for sunday and do it all over again. lowest point total for the sum of light and heavy wins the 2 gun. lowest point total for heavy wins heavy and so on. once a shooter has won the 2 gun he or she is out, cant win another class. then rank heavies, then lights.

our method is not fool proof by any means, the draw still matters. for example there are ties, and they go to the aggregate group for tie breaker. you can shoot a 4 incher and have the second place shooter shoot a 7 and it's still only worth a "1".

the only change i might like to push for is to re-pair the day one leaders together on sunday, rather than draw. but this opens another can of worms. what if they wipe each other out? where we are at, we really want to keep it a 2 day, 2 target each gun, event.

tom m.

The system used by the NW Club works pretty well. Three days would be nicer but it is a Club Championship, not a National Association event.
We drive 1100 miles to Colorado or 900 miles to Sacramento for the NBRSA Nationals. We get to shoot 2 targets per day for three days, 6 target total per class or 12 targets total for both classes.
Each shooter gets to be on relay 1, relay 2 and relay 3, on different days, so everybody gets equal exposure to each, from early to late relays.
We go to shoot and have fun. It would not be much fun to shoot one day and "put 'em on the trailer" and head for home. I think that attendance would drop under this format.
The top 20% of shooters usually win the top prizes so I think it works pretty well. 40 to 50 shooters seems to be the usual attendance, lately.

Jay, Idaho

It took me about 5 seconds to think of how the Montana scoring system would be problematic at our club. Due to a few things actually. Now, instead of how bad the weather is, you are scored on how good the shooters in your relay are. If you get the top top guys, and you loose by a few thousanths but happen to be in 3rd place, your effort was for nothing. Now instead of blaming mother nature for your woes, now you can blame the relay assignments. "Damn, I had a relay full of agg winning guns and the other guy there he shot with a bunch of people who couldn't hit thier __ with both hands..." or something to that effect. Or, "The winning groups in my relay were the same as that guys, yet he gets prizes for having nobody else shoot good and I get hosed." There's a litany of problems.

Because it was proposed here, I ran our scoring through just such a system. As the number of shooters gets too big, it becomes GROSSLY unfair and I don't mean sorta. Our WO winner would not have gotten a prize, despite having shot a 6" 4 target agg, with a mid 90 score agg. Sorry, but shooting good should be rewarded. I'd wanna take my chances on mother nature being to blame rather than being the match director who is now blamed. If they're mad at the sky, let'em go bark at the moon!

Charles,
I like your idea all but one thing. In PA, I'm the poor bastard who would have to re-write the system that does the scoring and that's no small task. The elimination method would be awesome, but do you weight on group or score? We do pay for both now and so do you. I suppose you could take the top 3 scores after first taking the top three groups. Call them the 6 winners and move on. Boy, you could go through a pile of ammo! Oh, and on the second target, do you shoot for group or score, or both again, and at what point do you draw the line?

Then too, with 150 shooters up here, that equates to 13 relays or so, and you need to get two classes in. Without more benches we'd run outa time. We do as it is on Sunday. Add in a weather issue, and we're in trouble.

The reprogramming is not something I'd be interested in doing. Not to mention the fact that all previous years would need to keep the display programs on the website, and an entire new set would need to be written with all new stats / links / database tables... No thanks! The system up here as it is, works about as good as is possible. Without a total re-write you could not change the scoring, both for the program we use at the club and for the programs on the website.

While many ideas are great, don't forget when making them that there are clerical people behind all these decisions who have to bulid what you draw. Sorta like the old construction workers saying about architects, "Eyyyupp, Paper'll stand still for anything! Damn good thing ya don't scale drawings"

I've thought about this to. It seems that what ever you can think of, there will be logistical issues. I had an idea of a correction factor. Maybe give a value to an average group size or score for a relay. Kinda be like giving the wind a value. I guess you measure a wind meter at record string. Just thinking???

I'd sort of like to leave NBRSA championships out if it -- at least, for a while. A six-target agg per gun would be OK with me -- a disaster would be just that, but it would be on par with the short-range game, except for bench rotation.

Problem is, we always have more than 40-50 shooters at the IBS Nationals or the Pennsylania World Open. Usually significantly over 100. Knock on Wood.

Phil brought up an interesting point -- no, not the one on how overworked he is. Point is, if the format is "place and advance," do you advance in both group & score, or just the one you placed in? What if you placed in both?

Pass everybody who placed in either? You could have more than 60 shooters advancing, which would raise the number of relays, which wouldn't fit into a day of shooting. Pass the top three in each, which could result in less than 60 shooters?

As far as people leaving, (with a 2- 3- or even 4-target format), what do you think happens to people who drive a long way, spend a lot of money, and who, day 1, catch a bad relay? Some of us don't drink.

My excuse for this is I've been watching the IAAF World (Track) Championships, and the idea of heats & head to head competition seems to fit nicely with our sport.

if the format is "place and advance," do you advance in both group & score, or just the one you placed in? What if you placed in both?

Pass everybody who placed in either? You could have more than 60 shooters advancing, which would raise the number of relays, which wouldn't fit into a day of shooting. Pass the top three in each, which could result in less than 60 shooters?
Any of these systems would take a lot of work to implement. Then too, shift changes will take time and paperwork needs to be produced before every one. Something dynamic like this would mean that you can't pre-prepare the paperwork like I've done at the World Open for the last few years. Be sure to add that paperwork time in between every shift of relays. (Actually Matt did the paperwork this year). Having that paperwork done ahead of time takes a lot of stress off the people running the matches and saves tons of time. When you're already on edge it doesn't take much to really frustrate the folks running the match, be it in the pits, in the rangemasters stand, or folks on the benches. That has to be considered.

I wasn't even at the WO this year and was still asked by several people how late they'd be getting out of there. How long would it take to score. The results have to be ready quickly to get people on their way home at a reasonable hour.

Next thing to consider, you HAVE to have a system where the average person can just look at results and replicate the standings on their own. They need to be able to see that this person shot x y and z, and they shot a b and c, and that x y and z really did beat a b and c. If they can't do that, (Like the system out west where the relay placement counts vs what you shot) then I guarantee you some people going to suspect they have been shorted. Furthermore, if the system is so complicated they very well may have. It's a recipe for disaster. That at least is not a problem with the win and continue system but there are others. Even with the win and continue system, you can still get a stacked relay, shoot well but be eliminated.

As far as people leaving, (with a 2- 3- or even 4-target format), what do you think happens to people who drive a long way, spend a lot of money, and who, day 1, catch a bad relay? Some of us don't drink.
That's ok Charles, I drank enough for both of us! :D

In all seriousness though, when I think of my own experiences at various venues, I've had more than my share of ugly relays, but it didn't disuade my desire to go back and try again and I still enjoyed myself shooting the next targets and seeing how well things might have been. I've always sorta figured that the whole thing is what relays you get, cause there's good guns in every one of em. Guns certainly capable of winning if they get any sort of luck with the weather. It's tough to beat someone who manages to get two good relays and it really doesn't bother me most of the time. Fact is, it's sorta nice seeing that happen to folks who might have a gun that's not always up to the task but can crank one now and again. It can put a pretty big smile on someones face that they shot well at the right time. It's still a very legit win, and more power to em I say. I've been there and done that myself and can tell ya it's a lot of fun.

I figure that here at PA, there's usually about 3 good relays in a day, all the rest you have to really work for. Well, if you figure that this year they shot 26 relays in a day, that's not very good odds for bein in those 3. I've won relays in the wo with 11 and 13 inch groups and 70s scores, some by a pretty good margin. I can tell ya first hand that 11, 13, 25, 30, pretty much it's all the same thing. Folks won't even help carry yer crap to the car. G-bye, thanks for the check! Cya next year! It's all part of the game and we've all been there. If you know anybody who hain't had a bad relay yet, send em to pa for the wo! Middle of July with relays beginning at 1:00pm. Ehupp, we'll see.

All in all, I think the couple3 nationals and wo's I've been to have all been about as much fun as a guy oughta have, win loose or draw. The scoring is fair even if mother nature isn't. Me? I'd prefer em to be mad at mother nature. Most of all, not one time have I ever gone home, looked at the results and said to myself, "I shoulda beat that guy there" when I finished behind em. It's real simple, that guy shot smaller'n I did and that's that.

I am still allowed to complain about my relays, and regularly do!

ps. Thinking about how to advance, you could ask before hand (at registration) if the person wanted to advance in group or score then. That, if they won both, which way would they like to proceed. You could not give a choice at a later time cause there is no time to go around asking. You need paperwork. It might be fun, but I don't think this is a match format for the Nats or WO. These events are just too large for that sort of risk taking. Perhaps a match like that at another venue would be fun, but it would be a LOT of work for somebody.

On that note, If you know any good programmers who are looking for a career change or second job that doesn't pay squat, tell em to call the personell office at the PA club cause they're likely to have an opening right directly. ;) Like about the time somebody proposes this up there!

Charles

You could not find enough body armor in the world to protect you from the "powers to be and crumedgens who do not want any change" when you put that in an agenda item. :D

BH

@ Bountyhunter: You're probably right. Although, if you've been shooting 1,000 yard Nationals for a while, you've probably been caught by a bad relay, where your win was for naught. That should generate some sympathy, even from curmudgeons. The basis of the IBS/Pennsylvania 1,000 yard shooting is win and advance; it seems a shame to change it to a two or three target agg. for the big matches.

@Phil: Right. Too much work for the programmer (who this year, didn't even shoot!). I do hear you, but that is the problem with a sophisticated program designed to do one thing. You make a change, you have a lot of work. Doing the "reporgraming" by hand would be simple. Day one, nothing changes. Copy the Day 1 list, and delete the 1/3 who don't make it to Day 2. Bet I could do this by hand in less than an hour. So the only gotta-do-it quick adjustment is for the the extra, intermediate "shootoff" relays.

Now I know the program you wrote not only draws relays/benches for both days, but posts the relay assignments to the website, and maybe the final results as well. While I'm not unsympathetic of getting the results posted quickly so people can leave, having a quick exit doesn't seem to be the major point of a match.

It strikes me that the last time I went to a Nationals, there were a couple of people working who didn't have time to shoot in their own match. That's not what I call recreation, and that is what this is supposed to be to all of us. Lets not forget the people who run these matches are also shooters so they'd sorta like to participate. Somebodys got to investigate how much work is involved, and from the way I'm thinking, there's more than is meeting the eye. Not wanting to be your naysayer, I won't go into my thoughts there. Somebody should play devils advocate tho.

I'd be all for an elimination style of match, I just would not want to see the Nats or WO turned into that sort of thing without some test runs first. It would not be that hard to set up a test match and run it up here some time between reg matches. See what you get for attendance, opinions, etc. If most think it worked out ok, THEN change the format of the big matches. But don't set up a match for 200 people to travel and find out Sunday you can't get the match in in the prescribed time.

I for one would probably still prefer the other way just cause I know when I leave home I will get to shoot x number of targets. If I'm traveling to a match, I'd like to know I'm gonna pull the trigger on all that ammo I prepared. I'd also sorta like to know I'll be staying in the room I paid for for both nights, or three, whatever I secured. However, I'd probably TRY it if somebody had one.

Every year up here there's discussion about how to change the WO and Reg season to make it "better". Each year it seems as if the drawbacks outweigh the benefits. I've seen a couple scoring systems proposed so far but not even one time has the proposer generated a mockup of results for the propose'ees to see. Oh, but I've been asked to do it and show how it would work... "You could do that..." Yea, I could. I could pull an ox cart to CA too but I'm not gonna!

I suppose you could say that the upside to this sort of thing would be there's no "Standings" to compile. If you make it to the last relay of 12, you're in the top 12. Etc. Ultimately for something like this to work, a person has to go do all the up front work and make sure there can be a smooth match. Matches that don't run smooth are not very fun. Don't forget alibis now cause I bet a few will be called when yer weekend is over if this target isn't a good one, etc etc.

There's a few things about our system up here that make it indespensible to these folks. One, it doesn't really depend on anyone. It's been used here and elsewhere with no support and no prior training. It speeds the scoring up to where its the fastest scoring in the sport. It's not uncommon to have your target scored and get your results posted / target in hand before the next relay begins its record string. Sometimes even before they fire a sighter. Oh, and they're accurate. While manual scoring in a spreadsheet might be more flexible for when the format changes like the wind, It is never going to expedite the results the way our system does. The downside is ours can't be completely re-written in an afternoon during the match like a spreadsheet can.

It would be a shame to throw away this entire system over a format change. But it's of complete indifference to me at this point. I'd welcome seeing the new way when it's implemented.

Can You Shoot At All...

I'm hoping that Charles is a literate man, and knows full well that historically, the best known "Modest Proposal" is an essay by Jonathan Swift (1729) suggesting that poor Irish eat their own children.

For the life of me I can see absolutely no parallel between medium and long range benchrest and "Track & Field".

And isn't reading and accommodating wind--I mean really--the crux of medium and long range benchrest?

What are we to make of guys like Jerry Tierney, who claims he can only win in the wind?

[Personally, I'm skeptical. I think this is just part of Jerry's schtick. I expect Jerry can shoot just fine in any conditions.]

Granted, my experience is limited.

But when I went to my first sanctioned match, the NBRSA 600 Yard Nationals in April, I expected to shoot.

And isn't this what it's all about?

Shooting under match conditions? And aren't wind conditions part of match conditions?

I don't think shooting head to head is at all important.

My issue isn't with the other competitors, it's with my ability to get a clean release, to identify and build a consistent load that shoots well, and to, well... read the wind.

And learn to adjust appropriately.

Are we to consider ourselves less talented than Fullbore and Palma shooters?

Nope, Charles, this idea is DOA.

I'm hoping others will pound the nails in the coffin.

RBD

N.B. In short, if you can't shoot in the wind, can you shoot at all?

Another thing to think about. If you split the winners and have relays that are shooting only for group or score, those people will be more than willing to wait out the entire 10/15 minute relay time and ALL the relays will be using the max time. Max relay time of 3 or 4 minutes would be mandatory for anything not taking an entire week. Or, just a "Commence fire" means start shooting rule where delaying more than 15 seconds is not allowed. Thus, all shooters shooting together.

Now watch the comments from all the wind readers who are disadvantaged by such a rule... :rolleyes:

@Phil -- I'm not saying you're are wrong. And the notion to try an elimination-type match before using it as a format for the IBS Nationals or the Pennsylvania World Open is very good. It probably will never happen, but it would be a nice format for, say, a State Championship. Maybe group/score shouldn't be split until the final shootoff.

@RBD: Shooting in the wind? One of the best groups I ever shot was in the wind. It was 12 or 13 inches, but it was on paper. Everyone else in the relay missed the pickup and DQ'd. I saw the mirage shift, and increase, held for it, and had a nice win.

Guess what real nice, relay winning, you beat everybody by at least a foot, 12 or 13 inch group gets you at the Nationals or the WO? When you have a 2 or 3 target aggregate and 150 of the best 1,000 yard shooters in the world competing, some top shooter is going to catch 2 or 3 good relays, with little or very manageable wind. They're going to shoot two 10-shot targets each in the 5-6 inch region. I don't know any way to shoot a minus group, so at 13 inches, you're wonderful performance is worthless.

What my proposal would put back in the game is credit for shooting in the wind. The way it is now is luck of the draw. Show me where I'm wrong about that.

But you are right about one thing. I do know -- long ago, even read -- the Johnathan Swift story. I picked that title more for the odds of it ever getting serious attention than because I thought the proposal sardonic.

Last edited:
Oh wow... RBD, not a great way to start out mak'n friends here. Trust me, Ole Charles can read just fine and he's shot before.
For the life of me I can see absolutely no parallel between medium and long range benchrest and "Track & Field".
I can.

And isn't reading and accommodating wind--I mean really--the crux of medium and long range benchrest?
Has nothing to do with it. It's marketing bs. What makes long range BR is good guns, good ammo, good equipment, good preparation and not making stupid mistakes on the line, coupled with good luck with conditions. As Charles said though, when you get in one of these relays from hell like was here in the WO in PA this year, your done. End of story. And please don't insult our intelligence here, there is noone who can read that. There's people who might claim they can after they make a good guess but please, drop the "wind-reading your way out of bad conditions" bs.

What are we to make of guys like Jerry Tierney, who claims he can only win in the wind?
Don't have to make anything of it. I've heard all sorts of stuff in BR, doesn't mean anything. If I'd made the same statement (and I've done that in the past) it would mean that I have a good gun for conditions but it won't shoot worth a damn in dead calm so I pray for wind. btdt.

Granted, my experience is limited.
Which is painfully obvious

But when I went to my first sanctioned match, the NBRSA 600 Yard Nationals in April, I expected to shoot.

And isn't this what it's all about?
Yes it is and you are right. However, this is America and there's room for more than one opinion. It's not that you would NOT shoot, only that you might not shoot as much if you didn't shoot well. Like any of our other matches here. If you don't win the relay you're done for the day. Same thing more or less, just on a larger scale.

Shooting under match conditions? And aren't wind conditions part of match conditions?
Yes they are but agging your group under horrible conditions against others who shot in dead calm in a championship match is simply not fair. A fact that most of us are well aware of before we even start the car to drive to the match.

I don't think shooting head to head is at all important.
Wow. You have got to be joking? Right? We're back to the "Experience limited" statement again.

My issue isn't with the other competitors, it's with my ability to get a clean release, to identify and build a consistent load that shoots well, and to, well... read the wind.

And learn to adjust appropriately.
Stop in at the World Open next year and please, demonstrate this wind reading. Everyone is curious to see it work.

Are we to consider ourselves less talented than Fullbore and Palma shooters?
Good Lord, where do you dream this stuff up? Please remember, when I first began to shoot 1KBr, I made the statement that there is NO SKILL in 1000 yard benchrest. It is a GUN CONTEST. I stand by those statements to this day, and in fact, I believe them more today than I did then.

I think it's time to ask YOU the question, Have you ever shot?

Nope, Charles, this idea is DOA.

I'm hoping others will pound the nails in the coffin.

RBD
The idea is no where near doa, just has not been shown to be an obvious improvement yet. Everyone here who's shot in the matches in question knows the possible benefits of this type system. Implementing effectively is the hard part.

N.B. In short, if you can't shoot in the wind, can you shoot at all?
Sure you can, you just can't beat the people who shoot without wind when you have to shoot with it.

@Phil -- I'm not saying you're are wrong. And the notion to try an elimination-type match before using it as a format for the IBS Nationals or the Pennsylvania World Open is very good. It probably will never happen, but it would be a nice format for, say, a State Championship. Maybe group/score shouldn't be split until the final shootoff.
State match, fun match, whatever. It would be a fun thing to try with minimal sponsorship (enough to get some folks to travel and give it a go). Setup would be a lot of work, and thinking up a good format would take a lot of time and thought. I have not thought of a good way to continue after target 1, much less how to meld 2 classes in to one overall winner. People would have to know what amount of ammo was the max possible to shoot in the match. Etc.

I'd love to discuss this more but unfortunately, I have to get ready to catch a flight to Raleigh tomorrow so I have to go.

You'd have to stick this all on paper to hash out, and :D it doesn't sound like here's the best place to do that!

To be a little kinder to RDB, all he has any experience with is the NBRSA Nationals, where -- I am told -- they shoot a 6-target agg with each gun. That would be fine with me. It doesn't address the relay from hell problem, but it does help level the playing field.

I don't know how many people shoot the NBRSA nationals. I believe at the World Open this year, we had 150 LGs and 150 HGs. That's 300 targets per class. A six target agg would take -- you guessed it -- about six days. Attendance at the IBS Nationals is a little less; we could probably get three targets a day shot. Even so, the 12 targets for a 6-target-per-gun agg would take 4 long days, maybe 5 days.

I came to 1,000 yard BR shooting over 12 years ago, from point-blank BR. At first, I missed the aggregate format (with bench rotation). Over time, I have come to appreciate the head to head competition -- still not completely level, there is always the matter of the bench you draw. But it does harken back to the days of the 19th century -- shoot head to head, and shoot till you miss.

Charles and 4mesh

I think this is a great idea! Obviously there are a lot of details that would need to be worked out. I think both of you have very good points. and I beleive most of the problems mentioned could be worked out, thus making the Championships more competitive.

I for one would much rather go head to head with competitors in the same conditions, than let the conditions help pick the winners.

Are either of you going to make it to the IBS Nationals in Iowa, if so we should talk more about this concept.

Lee Fischer

Lee,

I'm not going to be at Pella this year. (I think Phil is not shooting at all this year -- restoring a house?) But I'm available by phone or email to try and work out ideas.

I think you have my email address, or can get it from the numerous IBS match forms we've all filled out. Or from Steve Shelp or Dave Tooley, who I know will be there. If we're to pursue the notion, at some point pretty soon we need to take the discussion off the internet for a while to hammer out what-ifs.

Charles

Guys

The basic concept is laid out in the IBS rules right now. A club has the option to shoot a 1,2 or 3 target relay aggregate to determine who goes to the shoot off. I'm not driving 17 hours to shoot two targets. If I can shoot at least two per class, three would be better, then this idea may fly. After the relay agg's were shot it would take one more day to finish things up, with I hope, a multi target shoot off.

Question-how do you get a two gun overall champion? Another shoot off between the score and group champion? One or two targets?

Dave

I'm not driving 17 hours to shoot two targets. Dave
Come on, Dave, you're one of the most even tempered guys I know. But what do you say, if, like Steve Shelp at Pella last time, you shoot a 20+ inch group on your first target (which also wins the relay). Say "Oh well, at least I get to make some more noise"? Cause thats all you have left. Aside from Steve, it's happened to me, happened to you, to Ed Caldwell -- to just about everybody who shoots a while.

I'd rather run the risk of shooting only one target per gun because I made a mistake -- and with what we're discussing, it would have to be big enough so that six other people on my relay beat me. Sure, I'd still be PO'd, but I could find the problem by looking in the mirror.

Back