A few thoughts on The Rockingham Winter League

Charles E

curmudgeon
Most important is to thank Roy, Maurice, and Steve for all the work they put into running the matches. I know it is pro forma to thank people, but it is serious work, and the matches just wouldn't happen without it.

Other stuff:

(1) Targets. I believe the IBS 600 yard target is actually smaller than the IBS 300 yard (score) target. Do smaller targets make a difference?

Maybe not at 100 yards, where you're shooting for Xs. But maybe so, because on those rare occasions where you don't get an X, how far you miss the X-dot can be a factor. Something like the IR 50/50 target at 100 yards would be an interesting test.

At 200 yards, the smaller target is truly a factor. We shot essentially a 100 yard target at 200 yards -- the weight of the scoring rings was enlarged a bit to make them easier to see. And just how far you were off the center was much more of a factor in the final score -- your score more *precisely* measured how well you did.

A final target note -- the 200 yard matches were ones where people noticed a lot of "mirage"; that is, the scoring rings were hard to see. But the 200 yards targets were printed on a very white card stock; the 100 yard targets on a light yellow stock. I do believe the paper stock has a lot to do with our ability to see the scoring rings clearly. Of course, it has nothing to do with them moving around, what "mirage" really is.

(2) Factory class. There was a lot of internet talk about the need for a Factory Class just before the first match. So, since I'd decided to put off eye surgery for a bit, I decided I'd shoot Factory Class this year. Bought bullets, powder, re-crowned the factory barrel, bedded the rifle, etc. The first match, we had a few Factory Class shooters. The second match, we had only 3 shooters, and the other two were shooting 6-PPCs. Apparently the Ruger had a tight enough chamber where the cases had to be neck-turned to fit. By the third match, it was only me. That's not much fun.

Now if the thinking is that Factory Class should be limited to new shooters, it really should be re-characterized as a *rookie* class, which already exists. But in the Southeastern region anyway, it doesn't seem to have much purpose; we can't even seem to get enough people to shoot it to have an interesting competition. I did find that is is just as much fun to shoot a Factory rifle as a bench gun; you learn what it is capable of & judge your performance based on that. But if there are no other shooters, it is just practice, not a match. As to the need for a Factory Class, there is internet talk & then there is the real world.

Charles Ellertson

Charles, I agree that the small target was a very interesting part of the match, if you made a mistake you paid the price in points, what would have been a hanger 10 was an 8 or 9 so you really had to be on your game . The target was tough but fair and made a good challenge, the best scores still won at the end of the day. As to the white targets I agree they made the mirage a lot harder to deal with and Roy said he was trying to find some different color to make them out of and hoped to have something for next year. As to the factory class I think it is good to have available so that if someone wants to shoot and thats what they have there is a place for them, the custom class is where the new benchrest shooters are going to come from as they already have the accuracy bug and given the chance to compete are more likely to progress to a benchgun. The ones most deserving of thanks for their efforts in making these matches happen is Maurice and Roy's wife, she made a ton of chilli beans and nanner pudding to feed us all winter and Maurice ran the line and targets and neither one shot, Roy and I did it so we could shoot, that was our payoff. Thanks again to all who came and competed it took everyone to make it work. Steve

Most important is to thank Roy, Maurice, and Steve for all the work they put into running the matches. I know it is pro forma to thank people, but it is serious work, and the matches just wouldn't happen without it.

Other stuff:

(1) Targets. I believe the IBS 600 yard target is actually smaller than the IBS 300 yard (score) target. Do smaller targets make a difference?

Maybe not at 100 yards, where you're shooting for Xs. But maybe so, because on those rare occasions where you don't get an X, how far you miss the X-dot can be a factor. Something like the IR 50/50 target at 100 yards would be an interesting test.

At 200 yards, the smaller target is truly a factor. We shot essentially a 100 yard target at 200 yards -- the weight of the scoring rings was enlarged a bit to make them easier to see. And just how far you were off the center was much more of a factor in the final score -- your score more *precisely* measured how well you did.

A final target note -- the 200 yard matches were ones where people noticed a lot of "mirage"; that is, the scoring rings were hard to see. But the 200 yards targets were printed on a very white card stock; the 100 yard targets on a light yellow stock. I do believe the paper stock has a lot to do with our ability to see the scoring rings clearly. Of course, it has nothing to do with them moving around, what "mirage" really is.

(2) Factory class. There was a lot of internet talk about the need for a Factory Class just before the first match. So, since I'd decided to put off eye surgery for a bit, I decided I'd shoot Factory Class this year. Bought bullets, powder, re-crowned the factory barrel, bedded the rifle, etc. The first match, we had a few Factory Class shooters. The second match, we had only 3 shooters, and the other two were shooting 6-PPCs. Apparently the Ruger had a tight enough chamber where the cases had to be neck-turned to fit. By the third match, it was only me. That's not much fun.

Now if the thinking is that Factory Class should be limited to new shooters, it really should be re-characterized as a *rookie* class, which already exists. But in the Southeastern region anyway, it doesn't seem to have much purpose; we can't even seem to get enough people to shoot it to have an interesting competition. I did find that is is just as much fun to shoot a Factory rifle as a bench gun; you learn what it is capable of & judge your performance based on that. But if there are no other shooters, it is just practice, not a match. As to the need for a Factory Class, there is internet talk & then there is the real world.

Charles Ellertson

Charles,we tried the factory class years ago and it was a flop back then.
We hear people that own hunting and varmint rifles wanting to shoot but can't compete against Benchrest rifles,we have a class and they don't show.
It seems a modified class is where the interest is.
We shot some matches way back in the mid 90's and we would handicap the benchrest rifles and some varmint rifles did win.
so,it's a never ending job of trying to get new people to compete,and nobody has got a good answer.
The winter league that Roy has going has had pretty good attendence,maybe we should talk Roy into running score matches all year.

We recently found

A Benchrest club in our area that does not have competitions and nobody who was a member before a few of us joined has rests and bags. They shoot off sand bags and other devices made of wood and carpeting. Some of them have AR's and consider them to be the pinicle I think.

We are tenatively going to hold three shoots there this season and it will be interesting to see if any of the members buy in to IBS benchrest. The range is super; flat and they have 14 concrete benches under a new cover. How they happened to build all of this is beyond my comprehention when none of them had ever seen benchrest events.

I too think the Factory class is not a viable way to find new people. My "Home" club has "Factory Rifle" shoots and while there is a small following, new shooters don't seem to come. Competition isn't for everyone and for those who are interested will find a "Proper" rifle to use and end up with a half dozen before too long. We do not have long term Factory class shooters at our IBS events. People either buy a BR rifle after an event or two or don't come to shoot against themselves because there is rarely more than one.

Pete, a custom class where varmint hunters and others accurracy guys can shoot anything short of a real benchgun tends to draw better down this way and these guys usually already have the bug and are more apt to take the plunge to BR, you might want to give it a try, this would let the guys with tricked out AR's get there feet wet and see what a real benchgun will do. If they have the bug when they see what a benchgun will do they are hard to resist. Have fun, Steve

One thing I noticed with the *modifieds* during the winter league -- some of them were built as well as BR rifles, and had other advantages -- more weight, flat butts like 1,000 yard guns, etc. I believe several were actually better shooting platforms than a short-range legal bench gun -- EXCEPT, they usually weren't chambered in a benchrest winning chambering. There were some modifieds chambered in 30-BR, but they didn't happen to be the heavy, serious long-range rifles.

Maybe for one match next winter, I'll try a 1-K rifle with a short-range chambering. Would shoot it in whichever class Roy feels most appropriate.

The winter league that Roy has going has had pretty good attendence,maybe we should talk Roy into running score matches all year.

Roger - NOW you're talking! That would be an excellent idea...Then maybe I wouldn't feel so bad about missing one or two when things came up to prevent me from getting there...

Tom

The problem is, at least half the shooters in the Winter League are benchrest competitors. When spring comes, we'll be shooting registered matches -- some of us group, some long range, some score. A club match won't draw people away from any registered match we can go to fairly easily.

The problem is, at least half the shooters in the Winter League are benchrest competitors. When spring comes, we'll be shooting registered matches -- some of us group, some long range, some score. A club match won't draw people away from any registered match we can go to fairly easily.

I agree, but it shouldn't be too hard to get registered score matches during the season...might not be able to use those "fancy" targets of Roy's, but...I can tell you it is a fun place to shoot and I'd try and be there...

Note: I know there are several of us who might prefer a different term other than "fancy" for Roy's targets - just trying to keep it G rated...

Tom

One thing I noticed with the *modifieds* during the winter league -- some of them were built as well as BR rifles, and had other advantages -- more weight, flat butts like 1,000 yard guns, etc. I believe several were actually better shooting platforms than a short-range legal bench gun -- EXCEPT, they usually weren't chambered in a benchrest winning chambering. There were some modifieds chambered in 30-BR, but they didn't happen to be the heavy, serious long-range rifles.

Maybe for one match next winter, I'll try a 1-K rifle with a short-range chambering. Would shoot it in whichever class Roy feels most appropriate.

The thing is,we only have a few ranges shooting group this year in our area,there is plenty of open dates for score and we could have a 2-gun State Championship score match since we already have moving backers.
It;s up to Roy Darnell as to what he wants to run,i'm just making ideas,but support what ever he wants to shoot. shoot.

I want to take this opportunity to thank Roy and the guys at the "Rock'. This was my first time at score shooting and I had a ball. These matches made an otherwise long Winter a lot shorter. I hope you will put them on next year.

The food was always good and the weather was good for the most part. Our 600 yard benchrest matches start this Saturday at Piedmont, so this is an open invitation to any of you score shooters to give this a try. I think it might surprise you to see what some of these guns will do at 600 yards.

Anyway Roy, thanks again for some fun times.

Larry Isenhour

Last year I shot all the winter league matches. This year I only got to shoot the first one. Work has really gotten in the way this winter. But, I guess it's better than not having any work. I want to say thanks for the matches, they are much fun. I wish I could have made it to more of them.

Adrian

The Rock

Thanks to the Rochingham crew for putting alot of effort into having matches during the winter. I really enjoyed the match and hope to return again soon......but PLEASE turn down the wind :eek:

Thanks for the comments guys. I'm glad everyone had fun and I appreciate you supporting the matches. If anyone has any other suggestions for next year, speak up now.

Now off the draw up some harder targets for next winter :D

Roy

Back