A few startup questions

JJ-IA

I’m thinking about doing a little air rifle BR in my back yard but I have a few questions.
No sticky with the basics, so here goes.

What target do you shoot under what rules and at what range indoor and out, and where do you get the targets? Haven’t found any usable BR target pictures or videos to see how you get clean enough holes to score them? Anyone have some actual scored target pictures they could share?

It sounds like there is a 12 foot pound or less class and a 10.5 pound class?

22 plug for everything I guess, that’s good.

I’m thinking EV2 but reviews are love or hate. On another site someone posted “for just a few dollars more go with the styer” I guess to them another $1600.00 is just a few dollars… So under 3k what would you suggest, or is the EV2 a good choice?

Anyone using the shoebox compressor? I’d go with a large 4500psi tank and have it filled at Scheels 55 miles away. But after mentioning to one of them that it’s the size of a scuba tank and hearing them freak out that they fill any size tank but don’t fill scuba tanks, I have a feeling it would end up being a nightmare depending on who’s working the fill department that day.

Who do you like doing business with when buying a high-end PCP?
Thanks in advance for any replies.

A friend has an Air Arms rifle which I think is their S-400 MPR, a model about half the price of my EV2 and shoots as well as my EV2. I believe it has a good trigger and functions about the same; mebby not quite as easy to load.

What Air Arms should be doing is putting together some Benchrest Rifles; a line in a range of prices to fit a few budgets and offering them to us. They have the rifles capable of winning, why not accomodate us? There is no reason, considering the components they currently use, that could be married together and with some Benchrest Stocks and be right in there with the Custom Stuff coming along.

Last edited:
JJ,
Just to expand on what Bill said, at last years World Championship EV-2's took 9 of the top 10 places in LV class. I think one of them had a true BR stock. Most of us just mount a 3" wide forend adapter made of wood, metal or plastic to the accessory rail. I myself have not seen or shot an EV-2 that was not competitive, but I do know of a couple of $2500 Styers that needed extensive work to even come close to shooting as well as an out of the box EV. Like Pete mentioned, there are a couple of AA 400's up here that shoot darn good too.

The LV class is 12 foot lbs energy, 10.5 lb weight limit. HV class is 20fpe, 15lb.
Yes, .22 plug for everything. There are some recommendations for paper weight and style for the targets on the USARB website. We have a fairly close knit BR community here in the NE and all have our targets printed at the same print shop for about .18 a target(500 count order). Staples will print them but charges .41.

I have no personal experience with the Shoebox, but it might be your best bet, unless you want to spent $2000+ on a real compressor. 55 miles is long way to drive to get turned away because the wrong guy is working that day!
Hope this helps,
Todd

Thanks guys,
EV2, Guppy tank & 4500psi Shoebox on their way….. Ouch, lol
I found those target pdf’s before but didn’t know if they were actually what everyone was using because IIRC there was another org or two on the homepage shooting RF and Airgun. I have a bunch of USBR targets (blank on the back) and a large format printer so I’m good to go there.
I thought about one of the 400s Pete but wanted something with a regulator. From what I could find the aftermarket DIY reg for the 400 dried up quite a while back.
I may end up doing a little Field Target style shooting also, and the EV2 will be a great gun for that.
Maybe Don Stith would inlet something for you? It would be strange looking with the action sticking out of the bottom of the stock but ugly is as ugly does.
I see people are getting around the target tear problem when testing ammo by shooting groups into soft wood. Hi Ho Hi Ho off to the lumber yard I go.
Jim

Back