A Downward Sprial

Jerry I hope you don't need my whole name. But I have been Shooting 1000 yard competition for 42 years. The way I see it is the older guys are all dead, I've lost a lot of knowledgeable friends and I myself had a scare last month. We hold a shooting school at our club each year and get a few shooters each year. But it seems we are all getting old and tired. My reloading has got to the point where its even burns me out. and I'm what you would call hard core! And when I shoot a match and get beat by two of my students, I say Joe you got them hooked!

Isn't Joe Salt easier?

Joe Saltalamachia

Joe, at least you don't have a name like Mastrogovonni!!!

I haven't seen a downward spiral at all on the message boards...then I've only returned to Benchrest shoot about a month ago after about thirteen years out of the sport. These boards seem excellent to me and are a great help in getting back up to speed.

If there were better times here then maybe I have been seeing some of them. The search function works great. It may be getting me back to those olden days but the information is fresh to me.

I don't remember if I was ever any good at reading Mirage or Wind back when I was shooting. I know I am struggling with it now on the range.

I think I was able to read some mirage and the way the wind was blowing while I was away in other aspects of life.

sdean mentioned in his post he thought it, "just reflects society in general".

What I may have discovered may help some understand these changes we've been seeing, not just in message boards, but other troubling flyers we just can't explain.

I can try a explain what I was seeing if you want me to. It would kind of drop a bomb of a post here and it would sort of be off this topic, though it might help explain the changes.

Folks,

Just a thought...but I believe one of the things that has added to the decline of the board is we simply have to many specialized forums. How did we get all of these forums??? From Wilbur trying to satisfy everyone's bitching. Until this month, it had been years since I clicked on and visited the general discussion board. I didn't even know there was a Match information and Results forum, besides, that is what I use the Competition forum for!

I don't know about everyone else, but I have two favorites for br central on my computer: Centerfire and Competition. I just click on those two buttons, and those two buttons alone. Its as if the other forums don't exist to me. As I go to the forums page I see 15 visiting here, 21 there, 6 over here! Granted somethings are better not mixed, but whatever happened to if you're not interested in a subject just don't click on it. The more viewers on a forum the more likely it is that someone will make a comment/ contribution to a post.

This might be a controversial idea, but I would recommend combining some of the forums. If I were the Chief Cook and Bottle Washer (CCBW) for a day I would combined...Centerfire, The Competition Forum, and Match information and Results as one Forum. These often over lap each other in subject and content any way.

I would also combined 600/1000 Yard Benchrest forum and F Class together.

My other CCBW suggestion is a drop down menu on the forum button. Example: when I move my mouse to the Forum button at the Top of this page a drop down menu with the forums would appear and I could just click on the forum I want to switch to, without having to load the forum page and then select from there.

Maybe bunching people up a little and looking at how we navigate around Benchrest Central and the forums may help.

Bart

I think Bart is on the right track. If the forum was less segregated, particular interest groups would be more likely to see different groups discussions and may expand on or learn from them as well. Sort of the right hand knowing what is going on with the left.

Suggestion

I noticed on accurateshooter that the Forum Boss has a pinned post laying out the rules and he states exactly what he will not put up with.

I can imagine that it is a thankless and frustrating job trying to keep this Forum in line and everybody happy.

I am guessing you need some help.

Sometimes you just have to get tough.

Well, since a thread has been started..........
......and since the "cook and bottle washer" here wants to know.......I'll try to give my 2¢ .....respectfully of course. I hope it will be taken as constructive criticism. Here goes;

I have observed this phenomena or "downward spiral" of dwindling membership and forum participation taking hold here at this websight, particularly during the last couple of years, with it becoming noticeably more acute in the last year or so to present. It is a viscous cycle that feeds on itself, so that with the number of new posts and new threads decreasing each month, existing members and new prospects alike will not feel any incentive to participate. Just like a group of "regulars" at the neighborhood bar, it seems that there is a small "clique"of loyalists here that can be relied on to do the bulk of the participation on these forums, but even their numbers have dwindled. A few die-hards aren't enough to keep things as fresh and as interesting as it could be. It's not a surprise that many of the members here can be found spending much of the time frequenting accurateshooter.com.

While some of the various posts on this thread try to explain away the problems as being due to the content or disparaging behavior by some of the participants, I think some of you fine folks are too busy putting blame on what IS going on here instead of focusing on WHAT IS NOT GOING ON HERE! And in one word, I'll sum it up what is sorely lacking and is NOT going on here at this websight; ..........CLASSIFIEDS!! That is important means for attracting new blood and maintaining a constant membership pulse. People will constantly be checking into a websight to view a fine selection of classifieds. Many guests will become members just to be ably to reply to an ad. The more easy to read, easy to browse, and easy to place ads (by good standing members of course), and easy to get in and out of classifieds there are on a websight...... the more activity a websight like this would have.

The selection of FREE classifieds that are placed at just about ANY of the other active websights is an important feature and attraction that is sorely missing here. One only needs to see the active large number of views going on in the classifieds all the time at Accurateshooter.com, AR15, Glocktalk, The High Road, Saubier, Sniper's Hide, and other places, to know that it is an important lifeblood of a Websight. Perhaps each of the owners of these websights knows just how important a feature classifieds are so as to let it run free of charge instead of killing it via excessive micro-managed formatting and charging for it. While branching out a little and adding other forums to span the interests of a larger and more diverse group of shooters might not be an bad idea too, I think that until the problem here with the classifieds is addressed, stagnation in the viewer ship will persist, and the "downward spiral" will continue.

Well I think its time you spoke up Wilbur. Just because a few guys left is the site in decline.Is membership up or down?
I like the fact you can check seller feedback at 6mmbr.

CLASSIFIEDS!! That is important means for attracting new blood and maintaining a constant membership pulse.
Coming from Australia, the classifieds are pretty much no use to me.

I came to this site looking for insights to how to squeeze more accuracy out of my gear. For a belly shooter mainly, that hasn't been all that easy because 100/200 yard bench rest is the antithesis of what I'm interested in, that is, tuning a rifle to shoot distances from 300 to 1000 yards, & occasionally out to 1200. I guess that the most significant thing that has been emphasized here for those who'll listen is that if you can't stay perfectly in tune (who can?) then out of tune with a tad of vertical is safer than an element of windage in your tune. Didn't understand how Tony said that in his book, but learned here.

But all that aside, I've found some interesting acquaintances & a couple of great friends, and that's enough to keep me interested, if not active. Perhaps being a moderator on another board inclines me to keep my mouth shut unless I have something particular I'd like to say, but likely that's just the way I am. Anyway, I'll vote the way Butch wants me to, even if I'm a closet Seminoles supporter and otherwise enjoy what's on offer each day.

CCBW=Chief Cook and Bottle Washer. Our exhaled leader and tireless and thankless worker who keeps this forum going.

CCBW= Wilbur Harris, a very long time benchrest shooter from the 1970's or therbouts.

CCBW=One who onetime stored his benchrest rifle bolt in the center depository of a PortaJon.....sorry buddy.

CCBW=A man, in addition to being a computer wizard in keeping this site up and running, along with help from his son Elmer, is also a nuclear fission process operations and safety writer.

Appears Jerry does not have CRS or Alzheimer's yet. Thanks for the history lesson....:)
Tim B.

Well, since a thread has been started..........
......and since the "cook and bottle washer" here wants to know.......I'll try to give my 2¢ .....respectfully of course. I hope it will be taken as constructive criticism. Here goes;

I have observed this phenomena or "downward spiral" of dwindling membership and forum participation taking hold here at this websight, particularly during the last couple of years, with it becoming noticeably more acute in the last year or so to present. It is a viscous cycle that feeds on itself, so that with the number of new posts and new threads decreasing each month, existing members and new prospects alike will not feel any incentive to participate. Just like a group of "regulars" at the neighborhood bar, it seems that there is a small "clique"of loyalists here that can be relied on to do the bulk of the participation on these forums, but even their numbers have dwindled. A few die-hards aren't enough to keep things as fresh and as interesting as it could be. It's not a surprise that many of the members here can be found spending much of the time frequenting accurateshooter.com.

While some of the various posts on this thread try to explain away the problems as being due to the content or disparaging behavior by some of the participants, I think some of you fine folks are too busy putting blame on what IS going on here instead of focusing on WHAT IS NOT GOING ON HERE! And in one word, I'll sum it up what is sorely lacking and is NOT going on here at this websight; ..........CLASSIFIEDS!! That is important means for attracting new blood and maintaining a constant membership pulse. People will constantly be checking into a websight to view a fine selection of classifieds. Many guests will become members just to be ably to reply to an ad. The more easy to read, easy to browse, and easy to place ads (by good standing members of course), and easy to get in and out of classifieds there are on a websight...... the more activity a websight like this would have.

The selection of FREE classifieds that are placed at just about ANY of the other active websights is an important feature and attraction that is sorely missing here. One only needs to see the active large number of views going on in the classifieds all the time at Accurateshooter.com, AR15, Glocktalk, The High Road, Saubier, Sniper's Hide, and other places, to know that it is an important lifeblood of a Websight. Perhaps each of the owners of these websights knows just how important a feature classifieds are so as to let it run free of charge instead of killing it via excessive micro-managed formatting and charging for it. While branching out a little and adding other forums to span the interests of a larger and more diverse group of shooters might not be an bad idea too, I think that until the problem here with the classifieds is addressed, stagnation in the viewer ship will persist, and the "downward spiral" will continue.

Vani
There is a button at the top of the page. Right next to the forum button.
On the left side of forum is the home button. On the right side is the "Classifieds" button. All the way at the top. Right above the calender button.
Here's a short cut. http://benchrest.com/class/

Last edited:
First off, I want to say I like this forum. Thank you to Wilbur for his efforts. I know enough about web sites to know that this site is a child that needs constant attention. Over the years that I have been on BR.com, I have made friends, learned things I would not have had contact with anywhere else and had many of my own stupid questions and ideas dealt with. The knowledge base on this forum is immense and focused on competitive BR shooting -- a valuable asset.

Having been born during WWII, I have lived though the best 50 years America ever experienced. Following the war, we built the greatest industrialized nation in the history of the world: people had good jobs, almost all with benefits; companies were successful, made money, and took us into a technological world never before seen; and investors made money. The system worked, as it never had before and probably never will again. Those of us who grew up, got educated, worked and lived in that America, my generation built it, exploited it, and threw it all away. In the Sixties we introduced "free love" and "I'm OK, you're OK" into a society that believed itself to be indomitable. We weren't. For some reason I still am not sure I grasp, American culture took the path of least resistance and through the '70s and '80s developed generations who totally eradicated the value system and proven mores that had built the greatness of America.

People educated in the '70s, 80s, 90s, and present Y2K+ have no idea of the world I grew up in. We don't teach morals. We don't teach wars. We don't teach proper history. We don't teach real thinking and creativity because it's all done with a video game or computer. Just as an aside, when you read a book and it has, "The sky was blue and sun was shining", you brain has to create the image of what those words say and that is a very creative process. If you just look at a scene on an electronic game or TV, your brain never has to think, it just processes the information.

I say all that to say this: Young people today, and I'm not pointing any fingers, do not live in the same world I do. When I wanted to reload, I bought manuals, read them, developed a plan for test loads, went to the range and learned what did and didn't work. That process was an investment into an education that is irreplaceable. Today, young shooters just pop onto the forum and ask "who has the best load for xyz caliber?" The world has changed. Our society has changed in a manner that baffles me. The use of this forum is just a microcosm of our society.

After running and supporting our matches for 10 years and shooting sporadically, this season was the first time I could actually compete. To prepare for that, I started going to the range on the "bad" days. If the wind was whistling, I would load up a go shoot for a couple hours, trying to wrap my mind around what those pesky wind flags were trying to tell. That, and actually competing, taught me more than anything I knew before. It is the only process that works.

Today's young/new shooters are products of our instant society and want to buy whatever it takes to win right now. Lots of people can buy Dale Earnhardt's race car but very few can drive it competitively. Same in our game. Having the same barrel/action/scope or load as the match winner doesn't mean we possess his skills. A good barrel certainly makes a big difference but if you sit beside some of the great shooters and see what they can do when the wind blows, the rain falls, or the mirage swirls you quickly understand it has little to do with the brand names.

The answer to Wilbur's question (What do you think is the cause?) is really just that we as a society have changed. It's the dinosaurs (most of us) against the young knights. They seldom think like I think because they don't have the background or foundation that I have. I don't think like they do because I don't understand their world or value system. The times are changing ...

Reed G.

Reed that is a very good write up. Wow.
Thanks Tim

Vani
There is a button at the top of the page. Right next to the forum button.
On the left side of forum is the home button. On the right side is the "Classifieds" button. All the way at the top. Right above the calender button.
Here's a short cut. http://benchrest.com/class/

I think he was complaining about having to pay for the ad. Personally, I have no problem paying a few bucks for ads here. Wilbur sure needs something for doing this.

While I'm at it, I don't really see a downward spiral. People come and they go, some, like George Ulrich, I'll surely miss. Others, who I won't mention, I won't miss and there are a few more that I would like to miss (how can I miss you if you won't go away?) I love this site and wouldn't change much if anything.

Rick

I think he was complaining about having to pay for the ad. Personally, I have no problem paying a few bucks for ads here. Wilbur sure needs something for doing this.

While I'm at it, I don't really see a downward spiral. People come and they go, some, like George Ulrich, I'll surely miss. Others, who I won't mention, I won't miss and there are a few more that I would like to miss (how can I miss you if you won't go away?) I love this site and wouldn't change much if anything.

Rick

OH. Sorry about that. Thought it was free......
Maybe, I should do like George. And stay off. Except for Match announcements and results........:D

While I'm at it, I don't really see a downward spiral. People come and they go....I [like] this site and wouldn't change much if anything.

Advertisements, or the lack thereof, don't have much to do with my interest in this forum -- I like reading about benchrest shooting; if I want to look at ads, there are plenty of places to do so. I agree with Greyfox's comments, and I particularly enjoy reading most everything the CCBW has to say. :)

Coming from Australia, the classifieds are pretty much no use to me.......

Please do not take this in any cynical manner, as no offense at all is intended, but your membership here is exactly what I was referring to when I stated;
"Just like a group of "regulars" at the neighborhood bar, it seems that there is a small "clique"of loyalists here that can be relied on to do the bulk of the participation on these forums"
There's probably a couple of the same dozen guys here, yourself included, that keep this sight from dieing. Of course this sight is an invaluable source of information with a lot of fine members here. I didn't get to over 600 posts here over the years by asking about the weather. I've talked guns, and so too have the others.

To address the input from others since my post:

I've been a member here for many years myself. I am not an idiot, as I do know where the classifieds are and how to click into them. I am NOT "complaining"about having to pay for an ad. I simply never use them and very rarely look at them, while I will look at classifieds elsewhere. As a matter of fact, I haven't bought or sold anything in a classified anywhere for many months......but I do periodically breeze over them at accurateshooter.com and other places. I'm just trying to point out to the administrator that when somebody runs into a point of resistance they simply walk around it. I believe the pay-to-use and overly formatted classifieds (both features being equally bad) are not attracting new subscribers as classifieds ordinarilly do elsewhere, and therefore this detractor is a catalyist to the stagnation that has been occurring here. I didn't say that there aren't other concerns to address, I'm just saying it's a bad problem. IMO,he should be using the standard open style listings that are found virtually everywhere else if he wants to open the doors and grow some more. I don't think doing this will cause a pop in the membership overnight, but I think doing it will turn the decline around and help resusitate this place. As I already mentioned, I believe that tweeking the forums and adding a couple of other forum topics would help as well. But, the matter of CLASSIFIEDS is the first thing that should be addressed.

I'm not going to start getting into a pissing contest with anybody here. I wasn't born yesterday, and I know at every websight there are going to be supporters and a*skissers who will always come to the administrators defense and are ready to activate a lynchmob. (been there/done that, don't want to go back there!) I merely posted this as my opinion and to offer a comparison of what I have observed elsewhere, and what I thought may be usefull food for thought for the administrator to ponder over. In the end it doesn't matter what you or I think, as much as what the administrator ultimately decides to do about it, if anything at all.

We came through a depression. We came through WWII. Our problems today are small potatoes. We are doing well enough to have too much time on our hands, so we sit and invent problems to worry about. Live, love, have fun, do the best that you can, and stop worrying about the little ups and downs. We are very lucky, but often not smart enough to realize it. This site is about a sport that is aging out. It is not a disaster, it is the normal way of things. Go to a public range. Look around, think about what it was like 30 years ago. If we want to preserve what we know, we all need to find someone that is bright, and who is at the point where he might be ready to stop buying his ammo, and teach him how to reload, or perhaps someone who has rudimentary reloading down, who seems to have the itch to make his rifles shoot better than they are. Find a range that needs fixing up, and organize some shooters and do it, and while you are at it, have some fun. Benchrest exists as part of a much larger shooting community, and there has been a generational disconnect that it is not too late to fix, but we won't do that playing with our toys, and preaching to the converted. We will now sing "Rock of Ages" while the collection plate is passed. ;-)

Very well said Mr Allen, I'm totally new to the sport and just ordered my first benchrest gun but appreciated your post and insight.We can gain a lot of valuable information from the experienced guys like yourself that post here to help the clueless like myself learn.

Last edited:
Really good responses.

I've noticed a slow downward spiraling of benchrest.com for a few years now. It's not what it used to be. What is this site doing, or not doing, that has good people stepping away from it? What's the root cause? :confused:

Art, as you know, everything in life goes in peaks and valleys; nothing ever stays the same. I think Wilbur does a marvelous job of keeping order here on BR Central. Yes, there are times when things are more interesting than others but overall, year in and year out, where else can one find such a treasure trove of factual, up to date information on the subject of extreme rifle accuracy? Thank you Wilbur and thanks to the regulars who take the time to share their knowledge with us.

I think things are going great! BR Central will be here for a long time to come. :)

Gene Beggs

Vanib sorry about that.

Vanib. I try not to start pissing contests.
But, i would like to end this one. If it is one.
My apologies......
You are one of those old guys they talk about. Stick around.
Tim B.
PS. Where's that Jackie Schmidt guy......????????????

Hey fellas and gals.....Is it snowing somewhere? Besides North West Buffalo and Ontario. Not too sure. I don't watch TV.
This amount of self reflection, usually does not happen, till at least mid January.....
Went for a walk. Detroit is about 30 degrees feels like -10 1900hrs. Wow. it's going to be a long winter.
new thread.

Back