A Chet Amick Rifle

Looks to me

Not even pretending to know anything and only rendering an opinion, look to me like the lead in the chamber is as long as the marks on the bullet if not longer longer. Would that make the leade angle 1/2 a degree or less? Pretty much answers the question about Jumping, eh?

Thanks,

Pete

Not for nothing but its not very easy to identify much with those photos. Engraving......that I know. I have zero idea what a "witness mark " is.

Again, without better images, hard to tell. If that's a Hart 3 groove it's no engraving....their lands are wider than that.
Are those marks equal around the slug? It's only possible to see a single one.

Yes the marks are equal . The pics ar bad because I had to zoom in so far to be able to see the marks. May try again later. The marks or dark lines ar really hard to see with the eye, you have to have it at just the right angle and light. They are actually shiny. The zoom makes them look like shadows.

Last edited:
Well understand one important thing here as well. Chester took a lot of guns, particularly from up around here and "tweeked" them. Some guns were initially done by someone else and sent to him. Occaisionally he would re chamber them, more often he would relap them if possible to get a more progressive taper. He fit very few Hart barrels, for instance, because they were, at that time being made on the large side of what he could use and ran, often, to .2180" across the lands.
He got to a point where he wanted something that ran .2170" but would go up to .2175". He only measured with pins not by slugging, as he believed that yielded better sealing in the bore.
If I knew a bit more about the provenance of some I could venture an educated guess.
The "Lugnuts" example, for instance, was likely first fitted by Tommy Fargnoli and relaped by Chet on a Hart barrel in particular.
Loughnot and I got to where we sourced some barrels from Tim North with Chesters ideal dimensions in the Broughton 5C configuration. They were to be for a couple projects Chet was going to do but that's when he passed and those never got completed. A lot of the 5C barrels Broughton made did very well as fit by Gordon and many of them were right in that .2168" .2170" sweet spot.

Last edited:
Well I took a chance on buying the gun. In hopes that it would just be somewhat competitive without spending the cost of a complete custom. I think it is going to serve me well enough to shoot a few bigger matches a year. And with a little history behind it. I shoot a lot of usbr and use three guns. That would be a large investment to have three high end guns. Thanks to you guys willing to share your knowledge

Back