7.62 x 39 in a bolt gun accuracy ??

Hbr

alinwa,
Come to Lewiston, ID this weekend with your HBR rig and join in the fun. 100 & 200yds. LC Wildlife Club Range just out of town. And its only a few miles out of WA.

Thank You sir, I do wish that I could make that invitation and I will in future.

There's a goofy little "Applebees" Chinese buffet just down the road that me'n the wife would eat at on our way in :)

I'm glad to see you guys still hanging on.

al

hope this helps

Hi There i have a 7.62X39imp 40 degree shoulder pushed forward.

I have too meet strict regulations for deer control in the uk.

The calibre was my choice for the following reasons

Fire form from standard brass,

Neck size with standard lee collet dies

economic with powder

quiet when used with a moderator

compact ( usefull barrel length no more than 20" )

shoots 125 grain Nosler ballisic tip at 2650fps into .5 " @120yards (sheilen match grade barrel 1" in 15" twist)

will shoot 110 grain hornady vmax at 2850fps into .3" @120yards this bullet due to it being constructed to hold together in far bigger fastertwist 30 cals is a great deer round for upto fallow sized game. I went for the slower heavyer bullet to get an exit in woodland. The 110grain drops them on the spot because all the energy is dumped in the animal but i need a blood trail just incase in the woods.

I have used the rifle out to 280yards on game and its great. 125 varmint 30cals opperated perfectly at these reduced velocities.

N.B.......Make sure if you are fire forming from factory amo that it is USA produced as some of the Europien stuff has got .310"bullets............not healthy for your lovely new .308"bore.

my initial barrel length was 24"....don't bother the above velocities are from my 18.5" barrel... had it shortened for the moderator losing 15-20fps on the lighter bullets almost nothing on the heavyer 125s.

if you are thinking of this its less hassel than the 30br. and only slightly less powerfull. All i can say is i wouldn't change it for the world, save only to build on a costom action as i currently use the CZ527......great with tricked up single trigger but could be more classy now cailbre is proven.

hope this helps

Kind regards

E

gonna do it.....

Hi There i have a 7.62X39imp 40 degree shoulder pushed forward.

I have too meet strict regulations for deer control in the uk.

The calibre was my choice for the following reasons

Fire form from standard brass,

Neck size with standard lee collet dies

economic with powder

quiet when used with a moderator

compact ( usefull barrel length no more than 20" )

shoots 125 grain Nosler ballisic tip at 2650fps into .5 " @120yards (sheilen match grade barrel 1" in 15" twist)

will shoot 110 grain hornady vmax at 2850fps into .3" @120yards this bullet due to it being constructed to hold together in far bigger fastertwist 30 cals is a great deer round for upto fallow sized game. I went for the slower heavyer bullet to get an exit in woodland. The 110grain drops them on the spot because all the energy is dumped in the animal but i need a blood trail just incase in the woods.

I have used the rifle out to 280yards on game and its great. 125 varmint 30cals opperated perfectly at these reduced velocities.

N.B.......Make sure if you are fire forming from factory amo that it is USA produced as some of the Europien stuff has got .310"bullets............not healthy for your lovely new .308"bore.

my initial barrel length was 24"....don't bother the above velocities are from my 18.5" barrel... had it shortened for the moderator losing 15-20fps on the lighter bullets almost nothing on the heavyer 125s.

if you are thinking of this its less hassel than the 30br. and only slightly less powerfull. All i can say is i wouldn't change it for the world, save only to build on a costom action as i currently use the CZ527......great with tricked up single trigger but could be more classy now cailbre is proven.

hope this helps

Kind regards

E

Gonna do the same thing but will use my extremely accurate factory barrel. Also, I had a new unused HIGHLY FIGURED CZ stock that I pulled off a .221 Fireball CZ 527. Those first run rifles had super nice factory stocks on them,,but I did it also for the higher comb for much better scope alignment compared to the factory CZ "Carbine" stock which was for ok alignment with the open sights that comes on them. I also pulled my factory carbine barrel and turned off the rear sight dog knot. Now it's smooth and for all practical purposes I have a CZ American [sporter] in 76.2x39. I enjoy making Ackley Improved rifles,,and the 7.62x39 just begs for a few more grains of powder. I made my longest whitetail deer kill with an SKS years ago. I was walking and glassing, and saw a doe standing at 125 yards. The SKS had a 4X scope and grouped easily under 2" at 100 yards. I could not kneel as the sawgrass was too high. An offhand standing shot was all that was possible. One shot, one quick kill. I was using steel cased military ammo that I had pulled the bullets,,reseated a quality jacketed soft point and recrimped with a Lee Factory Crimp die. No worrys about where the empty cases fly to!
Thanks for your post,,,,I'm gonna DO IT.

I have a tight necked 7.62x39 built on a nesika fatboy 1.700 action, krieger barrel, tooley mbr, and jewel trigger, all built by top man nesikachad, I wanted to put a moderator on it and replicate what the .300 whisper does, in the 4 years that I have owned it I STILL havent got round to shooting it!! it currently wears a .17br short barrel. I will get round to the .30 cal one day.:)
KB

.762x39

John, I have a lot of experience with a 30PPC, realisically, I can push a 112 grn bullet at 3000 fps, although the best accuracy seems to be in the 2950 range out of a 1-17 twist barrel

That 3000 FPS is HOT. Since the AK round has a little less capacity, logic would dictate that you should be looking at something below that for the upper end load.

H4227 Powder should be ideal for it as well with a bullet under 120 grns.

As for HBR, you can probably count every active HBR shooter in The Gulf Coast Region on both hands, and maybe one foot.

At our last club match, a veteran shooter said he thought our "benchrest for score" class was a joke. Score should be shot with a 6x scope.

We had fun, anyway.......jackie

Last edited:
factory barrel.....

I will use the factory {0.3105"??} barrel to start. I've considered a .308" bore barrel but that probably would push pressures if I wanted to fireform factory 7.62 x 39 ammo with it's .310-.311" bullets. So,,,,the accurate factory tube will be an inexpensive part of this journey, especially when all the machinery is already here.

The real reason for this project is,,,,well,,,,I have a few hundred Sierra 110 [.308"] jacketed HPs I got in a 'deal' years ago. Now I have to build something to get rid of them in, right?
[Reality- I do have a box of Hornady .310" Vmax bullets,,,,not sure they were more than a short run for some distributor,,,anyone see them offered lately??].

Last edited by a moderator:
Pictures of the small 30s

For those that haven't seen a few the rounds being discussed in this thread, I have some pictures that may be of interest.

In this picture, the 30PPC is on the left and the 30BR is on the right. The 30PPC is loaded with a 110 grain Berger and the 30BR is loaded with a 115 grain 10X bullet.
30s.jpg

What I personally use as parent cases.
LapuaBases.jpg

Here is a pictures of a 30BR next to a 223. Most non-BR shooters find the shortness of the BR case quite interesting and think I'm "on" something when I say it's going 3100fps.
30BRvs223.jpg

Adrian

What powder are you using with the 30PPC now.

We have found that the Aussy 4227 is the hot ticket when it is under 85-90 degrees, over that, N120 seems to be the better choice.

It's not that the 4227 doesn't shoot extremely accurate up there, it's just that it gets VERY touchy up there......jackie

I still shoot my little cartridge I call a 30 Major. A few others are shooting the same thing or very near it and call it something else. It's a 6.5 Grendel necked up to 30 cal. What this yields is about a .075" long PPC necked up to 30. It is very close to a 7.62x39 Improved. Part of the beauty is that good brass is available from Lapua but I have made brass from 7.62x39 brass. I am very happy with how it shoots and will continue shooting it in VFS competition. It's easy to load and shoot and with a PPC boltface gun, it makes it very easy for someone with a PPC rifle to shoot group with, just rebarrel to this and go find a score match somewhere. I'm ready for season to start back up. Winter has been too cold and too long. ---Mike Ezell

What powder are you using with the 30PPC...

Jackie,

I'm using N120. I have pushed a 110 grain up to 3200 fps but it didn't give me anything so I dropped it down to 3000 fps. It shoots great from 2950 thru about 3030.

I messed up my gun right before the IBS Score Nationals last Fall so I borrowed a rifle from the guy that made mine. It landed me 3rd at 100 yards 250-23X. Not bad for the lousy weather we had and shooting a borrowed gun with a length of pull about two inches too long for me. I'm not sure of his exact formula, other than N120, as he loaded the rounds and just handed them to me. What did President Clinton call it; Don't ask, don't tell?

I still have my little 30. It is a tad different than your 30PPC, we call it a 30 Junior. Had to recrown it.... twice. (Don't ever loan me a gun) Our weather here is different than you have in Texas. We don't have such a wide swing during the day. I use the same load regardless of the temperature but I have mostly shot it in hotter temps. If I can find all the parts to it, I just might have to pull it out this Sunday.

Adrian

I worry about the overbore cases some use....

so I've been working on the 30/222.

I figured that most make the mistake of using light projectiles which in the end don't have the knockdown power of a good heavy accurate projectile. On that basis, I've settled on the 220 SMK, but I'm molying them to help them starting off down the bore. Magnum primers have been necessary to give sure ignition to the slow burning powder I've been using.

At this stage, I'm getting the best velocity with coal dust, but it seems that hardwood sawdust is producing the best accuracy.

attachment.php

Dang! Where did the insert picture icon go? Bloody thing doesn't work manually either.

Can't you post pictures in this forum????

Attachments

• fissst.jpg
    fissst.jpg
    83.5 KB · Views: 639
Last edited:
change of name,,,,,

wow,,,that picture [30/222] looks more like you would have to say you are seating a 222 case onto a BULLET~! Kind of like my first expensive {Nightforce} scope,,,,I then said I owned a SCOPE with a rifle attached to it~!.

question: steel cased ammo??

Wonder what an enameled [most are] steel cased round would do in an Improved chamber when fired? Split, expand, or what?? Could be dangerous if the steel tended to split instead of expanding/stretching as properley annealed brass does in Improved chambers!
I have Lapua brass but still I'm curious what would happen if the steel cased ammo was fired.

Back