6PPC/6mmBR

The 6ppc rules the roost short range no doubt about it--whether by hook or by crook-- it's a fact. Ask about this same Q in the long range area of this site and you will get an entirely different consensus.

goofy take dude.......... the original poster IS REFERRING SPECIFICALLY TO SHORT RANGE CENTERFIRE BR!!!

That's how the question was asked. Why drag 'renaming' into it?

Just because the 6PPC rules the roost doesn't mean it's the only accurate choice, it might just mean that it's the EASY choice, or the cheapest, or the one most BR Gunsmiths have mastered, or just that most shooters are lemmings....

al

goofy take dude.......... the original poster IS REFERRING SPECIFICALLY TO SHORT RANGE CENTERFIRE BR!!!

That's how the question was asked. Why drag 'renaming' into it?

Just because the 6PPC rules the roost doesn't mean it's the only accurate choice, it might just mean that it's the EASY choice, or the cheapest, or the one most BR Gunsmiths have mastered, or just that most shooters are lemmings....

al

I think most shooters are lemmings. That would seem to indicate that the 6ppc must be the best short range cartridge. If someone was winning consistently with something else, most shooters would switch to it in a hurry. :D

The "lemmings" answer is the correct one. Go to any shooting competition, Benchrest, Hi Power, Pistol, Trap, Cowboy - you name it - and the majority of shooters will have the same types of guns, same ammunition, same scopes, same colored tarps to cover their same colored stuff, hell, they probably wear the same underwear. And, like Russ said, they are more fickle than high school kids, with no loyalty to anything or anybody. They will switch to whatever is winning, in a heartbeat.

Except for Al. ;) ;)

Ray

Correction - I didn't mean the "same underwear". I meant the same kind of underwear. Otherwise, that would be weird, although I know a few guys who may actually exchange undies. ;)

I think most shooters are lemmings. That would seem to indicate that the 6ppc must be the best short range cartridge. If someone was winning consistently with something else, most shooters would switch to it in a hurry. :D

Ratigan?

BTW I think the 6PPC IS generally the "best" choice..... just like the 350 Chev is the "best choice" for a small block V8.

There are plenty of other choices that will run with the 6PPC. For more money/hassle and a steeper learning curve in the setup. The 6PPC is just "all done up and ready to race" as a package deal.

al

"There is no question that the 6PPC dominates Benchrest competition. My question is WHY?"

This really is a great question. Both are inherently accurate. Don't want to complicate the issue, but if the 30 BR is added to the list then what makes the three so??? No doubt it's a combination of things. Excellent quality brass. 30 degree shoulder??? I can't say neck length because of the Wolfpup...

If a shooter can't decide between a PPC and BR, then neck a 6.5 Grendel to 6mm, call it some esoteric name, and get a great in-between round!!!!

I was thinking a 23 caliber should be sweet, and discovered that it was tried and shot well

http://benchrest.com/showthread.php?52839-Why-Not-A-23-Caliber

Getting off topic...

Last edited:
This really is a great question. Both are inherently accurate. Don't want to complicate the issue, but if the 30 BR is added to the list then what makes the three so??? No doubt it's a combination of things. Excellent quality brass. 30 degree shoulder??? I can't say neck length because of the Wolfpup...

If a shooter can't decide between a PPC and BR, then neck a 6.5 Grendel to 6mm, call it some esoteric name, and get a great in-between round!!!!

I was thinking a 23 caliber should be sweet, and discovered that it was tried and shot well

http://benchrest.com/showthread.php?52839-Why-Not-A-23-Caliber

Getting off topic...

necking the 6.5 grendel down to 6mm is the 6mm AR. I want to one day get a reamer set up for 68gr's for a 6AR,and put a barrel on in 14 twist to play with..

Al, Mike Ratigan has come around to shooting the 6 PPC more and more. Also, George Kelbly has finally accepted that it (the 6 PPC) is the BEST short range cartridge at this time. The top shooters may be lemmings, but they would quickly change if a better cartridge was available. The group that said the deuce would never be replaced either switched to the PPC or quit shooting. James

Back