Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why Not A .23 Caliber

Why Not A .23 Caliber

Way back when Sporter was concieved, the rule regarding cailber said, ".23 caliber and larger".
    Is the reason that everybody settled on 6mm because that there simply was not any such thing as a 23 caliber??
    And, why through all of these years has not some enterprising soul come up with a viable .23 caliber for 100-200 yard Benchrest.
    Just thinking out loud. A 60 grn 23 caliber out of a 1-13 twist at 3500 fps would seem like a good combo. Might not even have to shorten the PPC case, as with the 22. Maybe .020.
    No, I am not about to do it. Just asking why nobody ever has, (or, maybe someone has)........jackie
    Last edited by jackie schmidt; 06-04-2008 at 08:32 PM.

Pushing the envelope for fun & profit

I recall back in the late 60s when Aussie Sporter class had a restrictive weight limit but no calibre restrictions (so they could limit the class to real field rifles), I stuck a couple of wood blocks on a paddle shaped board 3" wide up front, grafted a butt & bag runner on it, bedded up and my L461 factory varmint barrelled rifle made the weight.

It had its limits in the field though......

.23 cal.

If I remember correctly and I often don't there was a .228(.23 cal) Ackley cartridge. I know years ago there were a few bullets made for such a rifle, but no more.

Of course! The Savage .22 Hipower cartridge was .228". Don't know that the 99 action was up to bench accuracy though.

I would think the limiting factor

would be the (un) availability of .23 caliber bullets. Would Hornady's .227 70 grain qualify? I don't think so.

Why not instead look at the ORIGINAL purpose of "Sporter" class.

It was to get people to shoot something other than a .22.

Well, doh, now 6mm rules the roost, but nobody wants to grow into the new century... Even 8 years into it...

IMHO, they should change "Sporter" to be yet another weight limit - say 17.5 or somesuch, but still be a bag gun. No caliber restrictions.

ouch, 17 pound sporter?

Here we go again

Make it a sporter that you carry in the woods, etc.
    Make it nine (9) pounds or less.

Come On, Guys

I am trying to figure out why through all of these years some enterprising soul did not develop a 23 caliber, get J4 to make jackets, and see what it would do.
    As determined as we are to eek every little bit of accuracy that we can out of a given combination, it would have seemed logical.
    Just a thought........jackie

Lynn Standish got a wild hair about a .230 back in the mid to late 1990s. I think he got up with Walt Berger & Randy Robinett about bullets. I think Douglas was willing to make a barrel . . .

But Lynn wanted speed with his accuracy, I don't know how far he got. Unless he's moved, if you have an old PS, you can get his address.

Makes sense

I think it makes a lot of sense. I would go with a true .230 caliber bullet since a .228 is under 23 caliber. You sould be able to shoot 55 to 60gr. bullets at the same velocity as a 52gr. 22 caliber. The idea is great, but it might take a while before a fair selection of bullets became available.

Michael

It'll drive scorers crazy.

IMHO, any change/addition to equipment regs should be around the size/weight of the rifle, not the bore...

Heck, I'd like to see magazine-fed semi-auto rifles with remote-trigger-actuators allowed for unlimited... Just so long as the brass doesn't go past the bounds of the table, fine...
    Last edited by Chuck Bogardus; 06-04-2008 at 09:24 PM.

Way back when - there were several 23 caliber wildcats. I've got 5 different ones. Bullets went from a true .230 to .236. They were born when some States required a minimum of 23 caliber for big game. Both Sisk and Barnes made bullets plus there were swaging dies available. They never caught on and the 6mm cartridges eventually killed them all. The cases, bullets, and barrels are all collectors items now.

As I understand, the Sporter Class was invented to force guys into shooting something bigger than 224. Kind of an outdated idea now, don't you think?

Ray
    Last edited by Cheechako; 06-04-2008 at 10:58 PM.

Jackie,
    I am not familiar with the cartridges they are being shot in but I know of one source for .234 bullets, and had heard of at least one other, and at least one barrel maker (pac-nor) is offering barrels for them. When I first heard of the .234's I assumed that was their purpose (sporter benchrest).

http://www.thegunhaus.com/bullets1.html

jackie and et al. there are numerous

producers of .23x bullets out there, I know of at least three in the .234 class from whom i buy bullets for rockhucks and p-dogs. all are a bit strange to deal with. not up to BR standards, but great for pop-ups.

regards, tbob