6mm ppc bore diameter

pablo

Was interested to know what bore diameter Short Range BR shooters prefer for their barrels. My experience is limited enough that I don't have an opinion. I also have two really good shooting barrels right now, one is a .2362 bore and the other is .2372, they both like the same bullets which measure .2431. There doesn't seem to be much rhyme or reason to this. Am I right??

Many matches have been won or lost with either size. But these days the vast majority of shooters are going with .237" bore barrels.

You're right!

While there doesn't seem to be much rhyme or reason think about this for a moment. Most, if not all folks land on a bullet that shoots well in their rifle. Some shoot better than others while they are all good bullets. I'm just saying that your current barrel might shoot bullets well that have a skosh larger or smaller diameter. The thing I'm really saying is that when you change barrels you might try some different diameter bullets rather than decide the barrel simply will not shoot well. Further, I'm not talking about much difference at all but you might have gathered that given that there's not much difference in the current bullets available.

I've got one big lesson in that and maybe some smaller lessons that didn't register.

Was interested to know what bore diameter Short Range BR shooters prefer for their barrels. My experience is limited enough that I don't have an opinion. I also have two really good shooting barrels right now, one is a .2362 bore and the other is .2372, they both like the same bullets which measure .2431. There doesn't seem to be much rhyme or reason to this. Am I right??

The important number, more so than the bore diameter, is the groove diameter.

Both Krieger and Bartlien strive to keep the groove diameters on their barrels at exactly .243. That is why shooters can shoot the exact same load in barrel after barrel.

At this time, I have 4 30 caliber Kriegers that are chambered in 30 BR. They all shoot the exact same load.

I have a .237 4 Groove Bartlien on my Rail Gun, and I have 2 Kriegers and 1 Bartlien for my LV. All 4 shoot the exact same load competitively.

Last edited:
The important number, more so than the bore diameter, is the groove diameter.

Both Krieger and Bartlien strive to keep the groove diameters on their barrels at exactly .243. That is why shooters can shoot the exact same load in barrel after barrel.

At this time, I have 4 30 caliber Kriegers that are chambered in 30 BR. They all shoot the exact same load.

I have a .237 4 Groove Bartlien on my Rail Gun, and I have 2 Kriegers and 1 Bartlien for my LV. All 4 shoot the exact same load competitively.

Jackie, thank you for your post - very interesting information

Thanks for the comments Gentlemen, the information is pretty well what I thought. Been struggling with a barrel that's a little larger on the bore diameter than what I've been using, tried different bullets, some flat bases that are about a half thou larger than the boattails I normally use and some different powders and various loads. Nothing has worked with any consistency. So, that barrel is going on the scrap pile and a new one is going on. Like Jackie said about his 30's, I have a pet PPC load that shoots and has shot in many barrels all within a thou or two of the same seating depth and this one didn't like it, that was the first clue it was a POS and the bore diameter probably didn't have much to do with it.

Back