62gr FB .750

Lee, I have used quite a few .750 jacketed bullets over the years. They have been very good at 100 yards and shot surprisingly well at 200. I have a few in the picture, but none of these look like the one in your picture. Good shooting...James PS- Three of the makers of these bullets are deceased. (Ed Watson, Phil Sauer, and Del Bishop). They are truly missed by the BR community. James

Attachments

• DSCF2003.jpg
    DSCF2003.jpg
    24.9 KB · Views: 507
Last edited:
James, good photos now lets see who can tell what ogive they are, I know what two are without digging through my sample boxes of 100's of makers sooo lets hear it...

George, I will take a stab at it. I believe that the Bishop and the Cheek are 8 ogive (Secant), the Watson and Fowler are a 7 (secant) and the Sauer may be a 6.5 (Tangent). I have no way of checking, but that is what I would guess. James

Last edited:
Here is another picture (taken without a flash to try to cut down glare). Maybe this one is easier to see the ogive. James

Attachments

• DSCF2002.jpg
    DSCF2002.jpg
    20.8 KB · Views: 474
James, you are correct on Phil's, Watsons and Fowlers are the same but different ogive...I would need to dig out bishops and cheeks..

7 ogive..?

yep it looks like a bullet :rolleyes: to get down to .750 jacket a tangent 8 would really be pushing it on bearing surface.

Yes..
I'd say Lee's are 7 ogive Tangent with a little meplat... Little, oh looks sub .060.. Which would cause a really "pointy looking" lower ogive bullet. The 7 ogive would leave enough bearing surface for a .750 jacket.
As Lee mentioned, the heal is very square.... Squished pretty good in the point die, combinded with minimal lube. My guess..
cale

Thanks for all the replies fellas. much appreciated for sure.
I one time heard an opinion while attending a benchrest match. Imagine that I know!! Anyway the fella I was talking to, claimed that he felt like bullets that had the sharp square corners, like the bullets I have, always shot the best. He claimed that a square corner is what he looks for in a bullet. Well one of the things I am sure. Basically he really felt that the sharp square corners made for better shooting bullets? Anyone else feel the same??
Like I said, I really have no idea about the bullets I have other than they shoot extremely well. I also know there isn't much of a bearing surface. George please PM me your address. I have looked everywhere in my records for it. Thanks again. Lee

Anyway the fella I was talking to, claimed that he felt like bullets that had the sharp square corners, like the bullets I have, always shot the best. He claimed that a square corner is what he looks for in a bullet. Well one of the things I am sure. Basically he really felt that the sharp square corners made for better shooting bullets? Anyone else feel the same??
Nope sure don't or I should say not necessarily p.m. sent

James, you are correct on Phil's, Watsons and Fowlers are the same but different ogive...I would need to dig out bishops and cheeks..

George, I believe the Fowlers and Watsons were made on Rorschach dies which I've heard/read are anywhere from a 7-8 1/2 ogive, but I believe mine are very close to an 8 1/2 secant ogive. This gives about a .235-.240 shank on a .750 jacket bullet which works just fine.

JIM, your right 8.5 on Fowlers and Watsons. The only thing he did was change ejection pin dia. to get more or less bearing surface ie, longer or shorter ogive giving the illusion of a blunter or pointier bullet.. Mike in Co. aka stool aka PAUL REVERE spend some time in a ballistics lab and you will find why sharp corners are not that desirable , as well as Lee's shoot it is not the norm..

Crowns

as to sharp square bases....
something to think about....
we are always sure our crowns a cut clean and sharp.
the last thing the bullet sees leaving a bbl is the crown...so we pay attention to the crown.
the last part of the bullet to see the crown is the base...skipping boat tails, the sharper squarer the base is..the better for the shooter..

IMHO

Crowns and BT `s...Len Backus ( LR Hunting.com ) has done exstensive tests on crowns...also Pope..( gun maker/competitor/barrel maker)...with surprising results......read the 3 page tests he did and you`ll wonder...how important is the crown...

Crowns and BT `s...Len Backus ( LR Hunting.com ) has done exstensive tests on crowns...also Pope..( gun maker/competitor/barrel maker)...with surprising results......read the 3 page tests he did and you`ll wonder...how important is the crown...

or read Dr.Mann's book ;)

interesting.
I have done a couple crown test in the past myself. Just a couple weeks ago I chucked up in my 3 jaw chuck, a well know good shooting 6ppc barrel. I then cut an 11 degree crown. after I cut the crown I checked the run out at the end of the bore with a Gordy rod. My barrel was out .006. I took the barrel out and screwed it back onto the rifle and shot it. barrel shot 3 shot groups in the .100's and .200's readily. I haven't changed back. Now with that said, I will continue to indicate my crown as I normally would. Just because! Lee

Lee, Good idea and a good test the 11* that were so popular yrs ago seemed more of a problem than just square or should I say as square as we can make them...at least your trying some different things and learning..

Lee, Good idea and a good test the 11* that were so popular yrs ago seemed more of a problem than just square or should I say as square as we can make them...at least your trying some different things and learning..
George
I do agree that a square crown is much easier and they are my first choice., or preferred.

Rorschach Dies @ 8 1/2 Ogive?

JIM, your right 8.5 on Fowlers and Watsons. The only thing he did was change ejection pin dia. to get more or less bearing surface ie, longer or shorter ogive giving the illusion of a blunter or pointier bullet.. Mike in Co. aka stool aka PAUL REVERE spend some time in a ballistics lab and you will find why sharp corners are not that desirable , as well as Lee's shoot it is not the norm..

George,

It is my understanding from research that all of Don Rorschach's dies were represented to be 7 ogive.

Kindly clarify.

Bill

Well its been around three weeks since the question on what ogive they are and who might have made them and offered to sort it out. I am assuming they must have got lost in the mail. And people wonder why there are so many not wanting to get involved.

Back