6 MM 115gr Bullets Accuracy

Jeffreytooker

My gun is teal blue
I have been looking into the 6 X 47 Lapua cartridge. It seems to be a good match for the 115 gr 6 MM bullets. My big question now is about the inherent accuracy of the 115 gr bullets. Most of what I have found says the 115 gr bullets at 1000 yards do not have the inherent accuracy of the 105-108 gr bullets. I have started this thread to hopefully get more anecdotal information on 115 gr 6MM bullet performance and accuracy at 1000 yards.

Thank you.

Jeffrey Tooker

If you lived in my area, I could give you some boxes of 115s to try. I wont be needing them.
I use a 6x47 as well and have tried the 115 DTACs and 115 Bergers, But only in 2 different 8" twist barrels. Maybe my barrels were not suited to those particular bullets, but they didnt work well in mine. Others such as David Tubb have done well with them. If I was to get a faster twist, such as 7.5", I would try again.

As it is, I am getting enough pressure getting to the 3070 fps node with regular 103-105gn bullets, so I would have to go down to the next node (2950) to get by with the 115s.

Rooshooter:

I am not quite in your area. I am in Northern California. Thanks all the same

RBD:

It seems that there was some published info some time back that said 115 gr 6mm bullets would work in an 8 twist barrel. This seems not to be so. I am looking into 6X47 Lapua.

Thanks to both.

Jeffrey

I have been shooting the 115 DTACs for quite a few years now. Shot them in a 6mm MMX (the first version of the XC) and now in a 243 SLR.

All my bbls for this bullet have been 7.5 twist and .236 bore. One Pac-Nor (button rifled), and two Bartline's (Cut bbls).

The MMX really didn't have enought boiler room to get the 115's up to 3000 fps without high pressures. Brass didn't last long at 3000 fps but accuray was very good.

The SLR is the answer as it easily produces 3000 fps without the high pressures. Accuracy is excellent at 1K as well as 600yds.

I consistently shoot the 6MM 115s at 1000 yds as the recoil is very low and results are comparible to a 6.5x284.

Bob

Bob:

Please explain 243 SLR I do not find it in Quick Load. What is parent case. 6X47, 6X49, 6X51 or in American cases 300 Savage, 22/250, 243 Win. Does it have an Ackley shoulder and a more or less one caliber neck? Knowing these things I can run up in Quickload and see what it works like more or less.

Thank you.

Jeffrey

Throating is a issue for the 115's to many shooter's chambers. Longer throats typically work better then the standard throat lengths that go with the 105/107 types.
In 8-twist 6Dasher barrels I have both long throats and short throats. The 105's types normally shoot better in the shorter throats like .104 to .120". And the 115's shoot best in longer throats like .150"+.

Happy Shooting
Donovan Moran

Last edited:
I have shot the 115 bergers for a few years now in a broughton 7 twist. Caliber is a standard 243. I've shot 5 shot groups in the 2" range at 1k and 10 shot groups are under 8" consistantly with most of the 10 smaller than 7". I believe my rifle needs a better driver to show it's true potential! 1.5" and better at 500yds. I had a reamer made to fit my round. At a little over 1300 rnds last fall I shot 3 groups 1-5shot group at.065and another 5-shot at .078 and the last 8 shots fired last fall went into .072 this was at 100yds. They will shoot you just need to build the rifle around them.

115 DTAC's

I did well with them in 1000 & 600 yd BR. I shot a 243 wildcat at 3100+ fps with 7.8 twist barrels. I tried some 8 twist barrels too but the 7.8 barrels always turned out to be the best shooters, makes me wonder if an 8 twist is fast enough.
I still think the 117 DTAC was a helluva bullet and still have enough of em to make a couple matches.
It usually takes a damn good shootin 30 caliber to beat me in 1000 yd heavy gun when I'm shooting the DTAC's.

Last edited:
I have had excellent results out to 1,000 yards with the 115 DTAC's. I have used them in both a .243 & 6 xc. I have been using them in the 6xc for at least three years. I have shot more smaller with the 115's than with any other bullet. Both barrels on the 6 xc's are 1:7.5 twist. 1:7.8 true twist will work with the 115's. 1:7.5 seems to work all the time.

A 7.8 has always worked for me, I chose Bartlein to get exactly what I wanted. Tim North made a barrel for me that was supposed to be a 7.8 twist by using a 7.5 button and the 8 tw gearing or something like that. I still have that barrel, it shot well up to 1200 rds and started to fall off a bit so its been in the used barrel pile for about 5 years now. I still think it worked out to be a gain twist and the twist was right too. The 115 Berger VLD's would blow up when the velocity got close to 3200fps but the DTAC's never failed, always seemed to me like I could get a little group out of a Berger when everything went right but day in & day out the Sierra bullet would shoot the same & that always wins out over a full season of shooting. (You cant win if your blowing up a bullet now & then.)

Yes, I said 3200 fps.
There is a very accurate node beyond 3100fps and with that Broughton barrel it was easy to pass the 3150 mark.

Jeffrey
On the DTAC bullets in my limited experience using them the lot of bullets you received made the most difference in how they shot.
On the Bergers we only used 8 twist barrels and they shot good but wouldn't handle the higher velocities of the 6mm-06's we were using.Haven't tried them since they came out with the thick jacket bulets but we didn't have any stability issues in 8 twist 6BR's.
Lynn

I have a 6x47 I shoot in our shoot-offs when I'm luck enough (rarely) to win a relay. The gun shoots 1 ragged hole at 300 all day and the few times I shot it at 1k it shot well. 115 Dtacs traveling at 3050 out of a 7.5 twist.

I have a 6x47 I shoot in our shoot-offs when I'm luck enough (rarely) to win a relay. The gun shoots 1 ragged hole at 300 all day and the few times I shot it at 1k it shot well. 115 Dtacs traveling at 3050 out of a 7.5 twist.
Why dont you try shooting this rifle in the relay so you can get in the shoot-off more often?:confused:

Bob:

Please explain 243 SLR I do not find it in Quick Load. What is parent case. 6X47, 6X49, 6X51 or in American cases 300 Savage, 22/250, 243 Win. Does it have an Ackley shoulder and a more or less one caliber neck? Knowing these things I can run up in Quickload and see what it works like more or less.

Thank you.

Jeffrey

Jeff,

The 243 SLR is a 243 Win that has the shoulder angle changed to 30 degrees and the shoulder pushed back ala the 6XC.

It gives you the increased capacity of a 243 with the longer neck and shoulder angle of a 6mm BR.

Brass is very easy to form, you just run a 243 case into the 243 SLR FL sizing die and viola', go shoot.

Bob

Gentlemen:

Thank you for all of the information. It will help me make a decision on what rifle to build next.

Jeffrey Tooker

243Mendoza

Jeff,

The 243 SLR is a 243 Win that has the shoulder angle changed to 30 degrees and the shoulder pushed back ala the 6XC.

It gives you the increased capacity of a 243 with the longer neck and shoulder angle of a 6mm BR.

Brass is very easy to form, you just run a 243 case into the 243 SLR FL sizing die and viola', go shoot.

Bob
The .243 Mendoza seems to be the same cartridge. I have one in a F-Class gun that does well at 3100fps with the 115DTAC.

Jeffrey
Build yourself a 6Dasher and don't look back.I have a reamer handy and you are welcome to it.They only thing you would need to do is load your ammo like ours and the recipe is also included with the reamer.
Lynn

Back