6.5x284 outdated???

AZ3GNR

Hello all,
I'm a competitive pistol and 3-GUN shooter. I'm inheriting a 6.5x284 rifle from my dad in the very near future. I live in the Phoenix area and plan on giving precision rifle shooting a go. I'm having a hard time finding any current threads on the forums with regard to the 6.5x284 cartridge. Is this cartridge "outdated"? Should I not waste my time with the rifle?

Rifle is a BR Savage in a heavy laminate stock and a fluted stainless barrel with maybe 20 rounds through it.

Thanks in advance for ANY help or guidance on this, and I apologize if I'm not following protocol on BR.com.

I essentially know nothing about shooting 500+ yards..

Hello all,
I'm a competitive pistol and 3-GUN shooter. I'm inheriting a 6.5x284 rifle from my dad in the very near future. I live in the Phoenix area and plan on giving precision rifle shooting a go. I'm having a hard time finding any current threads on the forums with regard to the 6.5x284 cartridge. Is this cartridge "outdated"? Should I not waste my time with the rifle?

Rifle is a BR Savage in a heavy laminate stock and a fluted stainless barrel with maybe 20 rounds through it.

Thanks in advance for ANY help or guidance on this, and I apologize if I'm not following protocol on BR.com.

I essentially know nothing about shooting 500+ yards..

Not "out dated", just surpassed by the resurgence of the 7mm in 600-1000 yard shooting. This is due mainly to the excellent 7mm bullets that came upon the market that didn't seem to exist 10 years ago.

I find it rather ironic that Lapua brought out their excellent brass in 6.5 284, and now many shooters are buying it and necking it back up to the original configuration.

By the way, in certain conditions, a 6BR, or it's cousin the 6Dasher, will shoot just as well, even out at 1000 yards.

Not "out dated", just surpassed by the resurgence of the 7mm in 600-1000 yard shooting. This is due mainly to the excellent 7mm bullets that came upon the market that didn't seem to exist 10 years ago.

I find it rather ironic that Lapua brought out their excellent brass in 6.5 284, and now many shooters are buying it and necking it back up to the original configuration.

By the way, in certain conditions, a 6BR, or it's cousin the 6Dasher, will shoot just as well, even out at 1000 yards.

Thanks for the info! That makes a lot of sense.

The real reason the 6.5 x284 has lost favor is it's a barrel burner, and in 1000 BR heavy gun you mainly see 300 wsm. and light gun the Dasher. In F class the .284 and 300 WSM. for a 1000 and some Dashers at shorter ranges. Depending on your accuracy requirements a 1000 rds. it will be toast if that....... Jim

6.5-284 outdated ?

IDK if it's outdated, it is expensive if you don't reload $50+ box of 20. Barrel life is 1000 ish rounds depending on how hot your load is. It shoots pretty flat. I shoot 140 GR Berger VLD G7 .313, 2975 FPS, 23.6 MOA @ 1000/1737FPS. It Bucks the wind pretty good IMHO, very accurate. The bullets they are making today have high B.C's. It sounds like you're getting a real nice gun, I'd develop a load for it and shoot it. I really like my Savage Custom Shop FCP-SR 110 6.5-284. Enjoy Phipp

TWO YEARS LATER..i think he has moved on
IDK if it's outdated, it is expensive if you don't reload $50+ box of 20. Barrel life is 1000 ish rounds depending on how hot your load is. It shoots pretty flat. I shoot 140 GR Berger VLD G7 .313, 2975 FPS, 23.6 MOA @ 1000/1737FPS. It Bucks the wind pretty good IMHO, very accurate. The bullets they are making today have high B.C's. It sounds like you're getting a real nice gun, I'd develop a load for it and shoot it. I really like my Savage Custom Shop FCP-SR 110 6.5-284. Enjoy Phipp

TWO YEARS LATER..i think he has moved on

"moved on??"

Hmmmph,

ain't no guy ever that "moves on" in only two years.......... we don't even get off the starting blocks in 2 yrs, gener'ly......

I've got a sign in my shop

If A Guy Says He'll Do It
HE WILL GET IT DONE!!
You Don't Have To Pester Him Every 6 Mo!​

in my defense al, the first poster
it was his FIRST post
the second poster was all the way up to FOUR.

"moved on??"

Hmmmph,

ain't no guy ever that "moves on" in only two years.......... we don't even get off the starting blocks in 2 yrs, gener'ly......

I've got a sign in my shop

If A Guy Says He'll Do It
HE WILL GET IT DONE!!
You Don't Have To Pester Him Every 6 Mo!​

in my defense al, the first poster
it was his FIRST post
the second poster was all the way up to FOUR.

In my defense "who NOTICES that stuff???"

:)

I'm just kindofa' 'take all comers' guy....... I get in trouble because folks's figure I read every post and keep up to every guy's pet project from week to week and I just DON'T. Each and every post is an entity unto itself for me.

I can't even understand pouncing a necropost be'since there are always new folks reading, all for their own reasons and in their own time, and conversation is conversation. Information is information and some really good information is to be found in this thread.

Plus, necro's are fun for me in many ways........ "gee, time sure flies"...... and "Ohhh, I remember that fad" ......... and "I said WHAT?? back then???"

Help Deciding on a 6mm BRA

Unfortunately, I'm new to the board and can't seem to find a way to begin a new post. Could I get your opinion on a gun I'm looking at? It has a Bat model B action with rollover, wood laminated benchrest stock (looks very nice), Jewel trigger, Krieger 28" HV barrel, 1:8 twist, .266 NK and I think a .115 FB. It is said to be "glued and screwed".

I'm not an experienced long range shooter, but would like to become one so any thoughts on this particular gun, or alternative guns, would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Jack

as a rule the 6 bra is a excellent choice for 1000/600
the bbl should be good for over 2000 rounds.
not a bunch of lr shooters here.
Unfortunately, I'm new to the board and can't seem to find a way to begin a new post. Could I get your opinion on a gun I'm looking at? It has a Bat model B action with rollover, wood laminated benchrest stock (looks very nice), Jewel trigger, Krieger 28" HV barrel, 1:8 twist, .266 NK and I think a .115 FB. It is said to be "glued and screwed".

I'm not an experienced long range shooter, but would like to become one so any thoughts on this particular gun, or alternative guns, would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Jack

you start a thread by going to a forum and clicking on the thread button in the
upper left part of the page it shows as a blue button
"POST NEW THREAD"

Back