42 yards, Calfee

Steve M (JETMUG)

I am trying to sit back and let everybody else hash this out, but something you wrote caught my eye.

"When someone here develops a good working centerfire tuner that is easy to use and set up........."

That is what I have been doing for the past three years. I designed a tuner that does not weigh so much so that it is prohibitive in the 10.5 lb weight classes, is very easy to adjust at the line, and, above all else, works.
I also have, it seems, the unique addition of proving it in Competition. By winning aggs. That tuner has helped me to repeat as the Gulf Coast Region Shooter of the Year for the past three years.
This does not stop me from searching for new ideas, and trying other concepts in my never ending quest for better aggs.
In all of the "hussel and bussel" of internet talk, charts, theorys, and predictions about trying to find the Holy Grail, it seems that everyone has forgotten that what I use at this time works pretty darned good, and I will continue with it untill something better comes along.
I just thought I would mention this.......jackie

May I ask a question.........Has anyone broke the records of "back in the day" with these tuners? Thanks

Lynn,

Mr. Calfee mentioned over and over and over again 42 Yards This may make all the sense in the world if this is the maximum distance optimum accuracy can be acheived with a rimfire however this is centerfire we are discussing. You tell us what significance 42 Yards has to the centerfire discussion. You talked to him for 2 hours. Hopefully you got something useful from the conversation.The letter I received from Mr. Calfee does not answer the question for me or maybe I'm just not smart enough. I don't have an engineering degree but several folks here do and none of them have figured it out either. Continuing to alienate people that were trying to stick with his ideas is not productive. I'm afraid there are fewer and fewer people standing with Mr. Calfee on the centerfire side of the aisle. This is not the best way to promote his barrel device concept in the centerfire arena.

Earnie

I don't think so. But the Aggs, or at least mine, have steadilly gotten better through the years. When I first started this back in 1995, a .300 Two Gun agg seemed to be about right for winning at the Region Level. Now, .250 and below Two Gun Aggs are usually what it takes to win at even the standard non championship region Matches.
Here is a good example. Last year, at Seymour Texas during the HV 100, I did something I had never accomplished. I shot five straight "ones", for a .181 agg. I adjusted the tuner twice during those five matches, keeping the Rifle going in some tough conditions. I have shot better aggs, but never five "ones" at one sitting
Now, I know this isn't much to those who just look at "records", but there is a lot of this sort of thing going on all of the time at matches every week end. Shooters, whether using a tuner or not, are having to "up the anti" every year to stay competitive. This doesn't involve getting lucky for one agg and getting your name posted at the back of the book. This involves shooting winning aggs on a continuos bases, at every match, through out the entire shooting season. That is what Benchrest is really all about.......jackie

Last edited:
Joel Pendergraft

What Bill said was in rimfire shooting he can use two shots with a certain amount of velocity variation and set his tuners weight so at 50 yards and/or 50 meters he gets his best groups.
He said we need to do the same thing at 600/1000 yards.Maybe Bryce,Varmint Al or Pacecil can tell us what is happening.
I only used the 3 grain difference on a 6BR lightgun to prove I had enough weights and the tuners body was long enough to get my shots too converge at 100 yards.
As you already know I sent my tuner set-up out of state for the necessary machine work and got word it will be back by the end of the week.Thanks Jay,Idaho from this forum.At 600 yards in my testing the little 6BR has too wide of an accuracy window to use my best load.The window is 0.5 grains wide on a 6BR with heavy bullets.
I changed my load to get it out of the window by 1 full grain.I then used 0.3 grains worth of variance and shot 2 shot groups at 600 yards.I swapped out the weights in 0.5 ounce increments until every combination was tried.
I then traded places with my father and he shot my gun doing the same test.We never did any talking except on the radios to swap out targets.
We pulled up all of the targets to see if we had any correlation between he two shooters and the weights.
We then removed the tuners weights only and each shot 3 five shot groups at the guns favorite load.We put the weights back on and did it again.
In my limited testing the tuner is a big plus.We didn't have the time or enough ammo to just shoot 5 shot groups while varying the weights.We plan on doing that this weekend.
Lynn

Does your tuner do that? You've been posting about it for long enough now why don't you share your results? Isn't it time YOU put up or shut up? You've been one of the top Calfee criticisers what are your results not just the trash you post here ALL OF THE TIME?

Lynn

Lynn, oooohhh, I guess you told me.

First, get you facts straight and check my previous posts. I ordered a tuner from Butch Lambert on March 4th. I was told the tuner would be ready in about 3 weeks. (BTW, the one I have, an early rimfire converted to centerfire variety, has been criticized for being unsuitable for centerfire BR, so rather than post bogus results or waste time, I've decided to give a new, properly engineered, design a try.) Irrespective of the foregoing, I already reported that the barrel I had the old tuner on was a piece of crap. I ordered a new barrel from Lester on Saturday and it arrived yesterday. (If the new tuner were here, the barrel would be chambered and threaded this weekend and the games would begin. But no joy here.) Once its threaded, I'll drag it off to the indoor range and see what happens. You will get your report and it will have actual scientifically derived data and no hocus pocus. I'll even report the range, in actual yards, that I obtained the data at -- ok, it will be 100 yds.

I've posted this before, but the only question I really care about is: "Does a tuner truly broaden the tuning range of a particular barrel?" If so, by how much? I'm not out to answer how a tuner works, because I think that's a dead horse. In fact, its starting to stink pretty bad. This is not a new invention. Variants of the muzzle mounted weights, bloop tubes, etc., have been around for decades.

"It has been recognized that, in some cases, it is possible to "match" a particular rifle with a particular cartridge to minimize barrel vibration, thereby to increase accuracy. To "match" a cartridge with a particular rifle, it may be necessary to vary slug weight, the type and amount of powder used, or other factors, such as the center of gravity of the rifle. A best match of ammunition will result in the exiting of a slug from the barrel muzzle at or as near as possible to the peak of the vibration curve for the barrel vibrations induced by the firing of the rifle. When the exit of the bullet is at a peak of the vibration curve, minimal bullet path deflection occurs.

Weights have been heretofore attached to the muzzle ends of rifle barrels as a means of dampening barrel vibrations set in motion by discharge of the firearm. U.S. Pat. No. 4,726,280, for example, discloses mounting a muzzle member, which serves as a counterweight on the muzzle end of a gun barrel. The muzzle member is threaded onto the barrel, and is locked in place. Anschutz and Co. G.M.B., through the 1989 catalog of its distributor, Precision sales International, Inc of Westfield, Mass., discloses, at pages 11 and 16, barrel extensions for rifles that include removable weights. Interchanging these weights enables a marksman to vary selectively the amount of weight used for dampening purposes." An excerpt from the "Prior Art" section of the original BOSS patent, no. 5,279,200.

Do the set ups in the BOSS patent sound familiar to you Lynn? Groundbreaking? 1989 catalog?

Do you really think the inventors of the Browning Boss system did no research as to what was required to make a tuner work? What taper was required? What weight was required? For heaven's sake, they even provide suggested tuner setting for given types of ammo with the particular gun. Aggh -- I'll never understand your blind following, so lets just leave it at that. I give up. Summers, you are right again.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry Jackie

I am trying to sit back and let everybody else hash this out, but something you wrote caught my eye.

"When someone here develops a good working centerfire tuner that is easy to use and set up........."

That is what I have been doing for the past three years. I designed a tuner that does not weigh so much so that it is prohibitive in the 10.5 lb weight classes, is very easy to adjust at the line, and, above all else, works.
I also have, it seems, the unique addition of proving it in Competition. By winning aggs. That tuner has helped me to repeat as the Gulf Coast Region Shooter of the Year for the past three years.
This does not stop me from searching for new ideas, and trying other concepts in my never ending quest for better aggs.
In all of the "hussel and bussel" of internet talk, charts, theorys, and predictions about trying to find the Holy Grail, it seems that everyone has forgotten that what I use at this time works pretty darned good, and I will continue with it untill something better comes along.
I just thought I would mention this.......jackie

Jackie:

Sorry, I did not intend to diminish your accomplishments in any way. That was not the intent of my post. My intent was to highlight the less than forthright nature of some of the other posters.

My apologies,

SteveM.

According to Douglass Adams it IS all about 42.........in "Restaurant At The End of The Universe" he mentions it and later in "So Long And Thanks For All The Fish" he confirms that 42 is the Answer to The Meaning of Life!

serendipitous coincidence???

Aii don' t'SINK t'so Vato!

al

...and it only took Deep Thought 7.5 million years to come up with that answer!

Now, that is funny!!!! :D

Hank

Back