42 yards, Calfee

K

Kathy

My centerfire benchrest friends:

I just checked back on this centerfire forum.......been busy for a few days...

Is this the planet Mars? (Centerfire muzzle device development?)

My dear centerfire friends, I love you....but.....

42 yards.............................42 yards......

I read what you have written about muzzle devices, and your testing, and, I think I'm in outer space or something............

Rimfire, 1050 velocity, plus or minus 20FPS.......42 yards........

Would one of you awesome, centerfire folks, take time to explain what you're doing?

My dear friends, ......42 yards......my "tests" to stop the muzzle in rimfire is 42 yards... .....

What are you awesome centerfire folks doing? Beats me?

Your friend, Bill Calfee

Bill,

With all due respect, why don't you just come out and say what you mean.

Geeze

We test for accuracy at 100 yards. Does that mean anything.??
When we decided to pick up the gauntlet and put forth the time and effort to try this "stopped muzzle" concept, it was assumed that in Centerfire Benchrest, the 100 yard agging capability is the standard.
Nothing was ever said about a yardage other than 100.
Is this some sort of cruel joke. I, (and others), have put a lot of time into this, if you have something to say, come out and say and stop talking in damned riddles.........jackie

Last edited:
batman_riddler_import_2.jpg

I think I'm in outer space or something............

I agree...

Chris:rolleyes:

Bill, you are in outer space, you're most devoted fan was ranting all over this board on how to do it and you stood silent. You haven't said a thing about 42 yards ever on this forum and now you want them to explain what they have been doing other than your implied wasting of time, money and components.
Wow, I can't wait to hear Lynn's explanation! This just gets more interesting by the day.
Well Jackie, at least you know the barrel will work without the device and that the machining the barrel down hasn't hurt it any. The device may still work but I think you will have to narrow the range of load difference to .6 grains which is usually the amount needed to take it fully out of tune. If this can be made to happen than you have a gun that will shoot all day. I don't have a clue why someone would suggest 3 grains difference as this is so far out of reality on a ppc.

Question for Bill Calfee...

What is the reason for testing at 42 yards.?
Does this 42 yard distance apply to the secret of ultimate accuracy at any distance from 42 yards to infinity..?

John

I was following directions. Since this is foriegn to me, I solicited ideas. That is what I was told. That is what I went with. I did not want to deviate much from the originol concept.
This far into the game, we have now been thrown another factor to plug into the equation. Or at least, I guess we have. I hope he doesn't leave it at that.......jackie

According to Douglass Adams it IS all about 42.........in "Restaurant At The End of The Universe" he mentions it and later in "So Long And Thanks For All The Fish" he confirms that 42 is the Answer to The Meaning of Life!

serendipitous coincidence???

Aii don' t'SINK t'so Vato!

al

No I don't think Bill was joking at all guy's. I think he was making a reference to the way he tests at rimfires with two different speeds at 42 yards. (I know this works for rimfires) but I think the real question is.. Can this method be scaled to find the weight for a device on a centerfire at 100 yards? I mean a 22LR chugging along at 1050 fps is going to have a completely different track then a centerfire moving at 3000 fps. I know I'd like to know if it really works on a centerfire!!

Best,

Roger

OK Roger,

Even with a rimfire, why 42 yards instead of 50 ?? There has to be some logical reason and how does that logic relate to centrefire ??

Surely to goodness the distance to tune the rifle is the distance that you are going to shoot it.

Fantastic

better than commedy central.42..........yards????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

There was a post on a rimfire thread about the maximum distance for accuracy in a rimfire is 42 yards. Other than this have no clue. It sucks the time some of you have spent on this.

Bobby

Answer to Life the Universe and Everything

I copied this from Wikepedia after thinking about the number 42

"The Answer to Life, the Universe, and Everything has a numeric solution in Douglas Adams' series The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy. In the story, a "simple answer" to The Ultimate Question is requested from the computer Deep Thought—specially built for this purpose. It takes Deep Thought 7½ million years to compute and check the answer which turns out to be 42. Unfortunately, The Ultimate Question itself is unknown - suggesting on an allegorical level that it is more important to ask the right questions than to seek definite answers."

You don't think this bloke is having a lend of you do you?

Don't do anything you can't spell
Allan

I remember Bill "spilling" his procedure for "stopping" a muzzle in a post about 6 weeks ago or so...................he DID say he carried out his procedure at 42 yards. He also said about the 2 different lots of ammo being just perceivably different in velocity (I paraphrased the ammo part).

I don't think he is toying with any of you or speaking in riddles. He has laid out the perameters for an experiment, and, at least as I see it, they have not yet been followed. I don't believe he has the information that some of you believe he is withholding........you have to come up with a result (by following the perameters) yourselves..........that part is obvious if by no other indicator than Bill's first post after Jackie's testing. I believe what he is saying is that:

1) The test distance has to be less than 100 yards. If I had to estimate, I'd say either 42 yards, or somewhere between 84 and 92 yards. I think it has something to do with "focusing" the two loads before they reach the target.

2) The BIG spreads in powder charge are way too much. Again, If I had to estimate, I'd say pick a very commonly used charge of a very commonly used powder (29.2 0f N133, maybe) for the fast load, and a reduced load that would induce vertical in the fast load on the average day for the slower load.........about 1/2 a number on the measure, maybe a little more.

And,,,,,,,,I think it goes without saying that, if you can't get the rifle to shoot with the "device" in place the relationship between barrel contour, device weight, and device position is incorrect.......provided everything is in order with the rest of the rifle.

Okay, go ahead........I'm ready.
-Dave-:)

So we are stuck with other folks trying to guess what Calfee is talking about and then Calfee coming back after lots of time, effort, and $$ have been expended and saying that's not right!!! :confused:

Back