40x Vs. Cooper

Some Misconstrued Terms

To clarify something, the word "ignorant" is not a derogatory term. It simply means lack of knowledge. It is not a character flaw, and certainly is not an indication of ones intellegence.

Now, the word stupid, that is a different animal. It was always explained to me that we are all born ignorant, and as we progress in life, and learn, we become educated, and ignorance is replaced with knowledge. But, if a person, after being presented with certain facts and truths, insist on taking a path that is contrary to a factual premis, then he is just stupid.........jackie

Or the shorter version:

To clarify something, the word "ignorant" is not a derogatory term. It simply means lack of knowledge. It is not a character flaw, and certainly is not an indication of ones intellegence.

Now, the word stupid, that is a different animal. It was always explained to me that we are all born ignorant, and as we progress in life, and learn, we become educated, and ignorance is replaced with knowledge. But, if a person, after being presented with certain facts and truths, insist on taking a path that is contrary to a factual premis, then he is just stupid.........jackie

Ignorance is curable.

Stupid is forever.

pf
<><

Yup

OK, I can tell that some of what I said was misconstrued. I have absolutely nothing against the way that Jackie or Varmint Guy did their posts. As I said they stated the facts, were well thought out, and generrally passed on some useful information. At the end of my second paragraph I should have said well done to them both. And for that Jackie I do apologize for the miss conception that I thought you were wrong in what was said. Varmint Guy also, your posts are the same. Well done . My beef was with Mr Jefferson, and maybe Beemanbeme said it better than I. So again Jackie and Varmint Guy I apologize for the mix up.

Now Beemanbeme, I would have to agree with you on your asumption and opinions of Mr Jefferson. Now I will leave it at that.

By the way it still galls me to no end that you pay that much for a Cooper, mine was 1500 + and the damn thing has to be sent back for a bolt stop pin, when I have 500 dollar hunting rifles 20 years old that have never broken and have been well shot. Go Figure :)

Dr4

The real kicker is you could go to a Gunshow, get a nice used Rem 700 with one of those HS Precision stocks, have a nice custom barrel installed, get a decent trigger, skim bed that aluminum bedding blck, and the darned thing will shoot circles around anything that is being discussed here. Probably for not a whole lot more than the Cooper, or the 40X.

As for Axel Nut, the problem with the Rem 700 he was talking about is not the quality of thr Rifle, but the Chambering. Large capacity small caliber cases tend to be overbore, and are quite eratic in what we refer to as agging capability.

Now,if he would have said he had a nice custom 700 built in 222, 6PPC or 6BR, that 1/4 inch standard would certainly be within the relm of possibility. Probably not "all day long". Heck, my Rail Gun, which is a proven champion, won't even do that. Or at least, not in the 10 shot Format.......JACKIE

Clarification

Hey Yall I just wanna have funnnnn I dont want to argue I started hangin out over here cause the guys at rimfire Are sure an adamant bunch prolly some of the same folks over here , I luv both when I get tired of reloadin I get the 22s out till I get sick o 50 yd put put then go to reloadin agin. While were on the subject of contraversial things I just picked up a pre 64 mod. 70 win supergrade in 270. I never see a win. mentioned here, Some opinions on this gun Please. BY THE WAY I SHOT IT @ a 1000 yds. it grouped in the 3s ALL DAY LONG. :D

Those pre-64's are no good...

...just cause you frustrations on the range.

Give me a price & I'll take it off your hands before you become frustrated.

pf
<><

Paul, such a critter exists indeed..................

...that could tell the difference in a 1/4" gun and 1/2" gun. Results have always been the same. Heck, I have a 1" gun that kills as dead as my 1/4" 6BR.

pf
<><

..................Musca Domestica................common housefly.........quite the challange at 100 yards.......I do have trouble confirming headshots though...and yes............I do bait them in.

Sorry, should have been more specific...

...critters have 4 legs. I stand corrected.

Fly's at 100 require a ppc or br case to be 'consistant'. Hard to get head shots when vaporized:)

Never did bait them but I do have one kill w/ a witness....same day I got my only screamer. Witnessed too!!

Have the target laminated.....fly was killed 1" from my group. It was cool.

pf
<><

Paul, congrats on the kill.................

.................And the screamer.

Yes, it is amazing to see those tiny legs surround the bullet hole.Don't know how many I've shot..............but never had to deliver a coup-de-grace shot:rolleyes:

What exactly...

....do you do to bait them on the paper??

You got me itchen to pull the 6br out now!!

pf
<><

Any22

Damnnnnnnnnnnnnn. 3s all day long with a pre 64 winchester. And 270 cal to boot. The only thing that could be better is a fly splat 1 inch from your group.
LOL.

Read a post in here where a guy said if a hunting rifle could group under an inch it was exceptional, well I have 4 of em that will all print an inch or better for 5 shots. 2 are 25.06 and 2 are 243 win. And yes 1 is a winchester mod 70 in 25.06 and it is a shooter, the others are remington and (blasphemy) a Ruger. All have been floated, bedded, and the triggers reworked.

I like you came in here to have some fun and learn a few more things, but it seems even in the factory area you have to get down to the Gnats A** with a true bench gun or bye bye. Funny thing is Benchrest only accounts for less than 1% of the money spent on firearms and shooting. Hunting, Trap and Action pistol make the bulk of it. Why, because it is a spectator sport, well not hunting, but you dont need a 1000.00 spoting scope to see whats going on. Hell even air rifle is bigger than BR due to the fact that they have cameras on each target and real time scoring.

So put up a pic of that 1000 yard fly splat, and enjoy that 270 cal Mod 70.

DR

You Know Im kinda old & by the time I walked that 1000 yds. The darn cows had eat the tgt. BUT I KNOW it was a .3 group cause I looked at it in my BInokularz:rolleyes:

with all the stocks, triggers, etc.......

available on a Rem, why go with a Cooper?

All the 40x's that I have had have shot 1/4" and less groups with good barrels and stocks, and so have the 700's for that matter, trued and non-trued.

Cooper is by far the Superior gun. just take out a second mortgage and your good to go hahaha

i saved for 3 years to buy mine. sure a 40X may shoot a 1/2' group from a hundred if your lucky or if you massage it a little. but cooper guarantees a 1/2'. FROM THE FACTORY. ill put 5 shots through one hole most of the time at 100. and i dont even have the loads dialed in yet. have you ever seen the test target that comes with a cooper? i have seen around 10 of them in various calibers and EVERY one looked like one shot was fired at it. think I'm full of it? go down to cabelas and look.

ive LITERALLY killed a fly from a 100 with mine. and destroyed many-a thumb tack

Travis

Last edited by a moderator:
have you ever seen the test target that comes with a cooper? i have seen around 10 of them in various calibers and EVERY one looked like one shot was fired at it. think I'm full of it? go down to cabelas and look.

i
Travis

That test target was 3 shots at 42yds, not 100yds.
Jerry

We want to see the fly. We decide whats dead.

No its 47 yards and its an indoor range. Hey I love my Cooper its just the trigger leaves some to be desired.In fact I'm going to try and drill a coyote this Saturday.

I agreen with DR4nra and bemanbeme,

I questioned the .250 all day long thing as well, and maybe the BS flag is in order. Tactfully setting a fella back on course is one thing but no body needs to be ran thru the woodchipper like that and called names and told to go away...ect..ect.

I am just putting this out there, but I am on the Hybred/factory forum and am certainly not wise enough to debate with the centerfire benchrest guys on anything. I just hope that when I make an honest mistake I can be corrected tactfully and politely so as to be less ignorant and not have to endure some sort of personal attack or verbal a$$whipping that goes along with it. I assure you that this type of thing will also drive away potential new shooters, what ever their discipline.

I wish offense to no one and apologize if any way conveyed.

Jamie

Moral

Look here American shooters. Until moral improves on this web sight ! The floggings will continue.

To Worker and others.

What if the fly just has a big flesh wound and crawls off to die in agony. Does any one do a follow up?;)

Any lost sleep

What if the fly just has a big flesh wound and crawls off to die in agony. Does any one do a follow up?;)
Is its pain worth another bullet? Flies life spans are no more then a few weeks? I'll lose no sleepover a maggot with wings pain threshold.

Back