40-X the way to go, or Anschutz?

Steelringer

Hello,
I've been looking at a Rem 40-X with a McM glass varmint stock and a Hart bbl. (twenty year old) I like the 722 40-X action, but wonder if this is the way to go for a competitive rig.
I have shot Anschutz rifles for years in 3-pos, and now shoot inter club 22 Benchrest. As an alternative, I have been thinking of buying a new Annie Super Match action and getting a BR stock for it. The cost of the bbl action is about the same as this 40-X, which makes me ponder. Maybe some of you guys who have more 40-X experience than I have can comment, or other Annie shooters too. Assuming I can do my part, which would be the better option for 50yd BR? Thanks for your time. Then the other day, someone said get a Cooper TRP...... ( entry level BR, but it has a BR stock) now it's getting complicated. :rolleyes:

S.

I think we're all there from time to time. I have nothing to offer that is meaningful, however, welcome. Don't over think it, you'll get a headache like all of us:confused:

Either action will do you well. Barrel, ignition and stock will be the difference. Some things to ponder:

1. Annie has a pinned barrel. When you change it you will most likely want to thread the action.

2. 5018 trigger is awesome. 40X you can add a Jewel or any of several others
3. 40X requires a "tool" for bolt removal. (I shoot 37's...the tool is no big deal.)
4. There are far more 40X's on the ARA equipment lists than 54's, but there are some awesome rifles built on 54 actions as well.
5. Depends on what you like...perhaps you should do both of them. Done properly by gunsmiths with good reputation either will be saleable if you later prefer one over the other.
6. If not committed to one or the other flip a coin. Then build a nice rifle. But see #5 and ponder.

A good rule of thumb. If buying used expect to have to change the barrel at some point. If you find it unnecessary you are ahead of the game.

I do speak from some experience. The first br rifle I built was on a 54 action...love it but I enjoy shooting my Remington 37's more and 37's are more accurate but are not "factory" barrels like is the 54 at least at the moment. Reason I like em more is the Kenyon triggers. Its the only trigger I've tried that is better than the 5018 on the 54.

bob finger

I love my Annie, but for your purpose I would (I did) get the 40X and not look back. They are a great action and the Jewell triggers are a jewel! Regards

40x or Annie ?

Neither. Hall or Turbo. Bbl will be the flavor of the week; Shilen Ratchet, Hart 4 groove, Benchmark 2 groove, or ???? Laminated wood stock with a flat toe line. BR trigger; Jewel, Shilen, Kelbly's. RVA tuner.

40x or annie

Hard to decide - I have one of each, I'd say the decision breaker would be the barrel that you put on. There's some good ones out there right now that will make any action look good so flip a coin you can't go wrong with either action.
Joe

I have a commercial (not US GOVT) 40x, with a lilja barrel in an Edge stock. It shoots very well, and I had no intention of selling it, but I see they may be worth as much as $9000, so I would be happy to let it go.

I have a commercial (not US GOVT) 40x, with a lilja barrel in an Edge stock. It shoots very well, and I had no intention of selling it, but I see they may be worth as much as $9000, so I would be happy to let it go.
I would check my source of information. A 40X built for benchrest shooting---$9000--I don't think so. Even a Calfee spec gun put up for bids will not even get close to that number. $1500 to $2000 more realistic number
Jim

That gun you are talking about is better than any calffe spec gun! Look what this gun has done in the last two years!! It has won more than any 4 guns should have roll your dice on a new one or pay to have the best.Dont hate the player hate the game. Jlg

I made absolutely no comment about the seller. I would hope for that price he would accompany the gun and coach the buyer.

Dan
You are right there is a 40X benchrest gun listed for $9000 with all added equipment.
My bad
Jim

Jim, Bob called me last night and said he was going to sell his gun. I tried to talk him out of it. I know he will regret it later.I came in 2nd at one of the psl matches shooting the same gun that is for sale with ammo that had never been tested before in that gun I won almost $1000.00 the gun is a HUMMER and it will make someone a great gun. Jerry

Wow, and the one that's listed for $6K makes that look like a bargain.

JlG40x
The value of any thing is when a buyer and seller agree on a price. I am going to take a seat on the sidelines and watch--too rich for me.
Jim
:):D:)

Just buy a benchrest stock and bed your position rifle. Get a tuner and scope and shoot it until you feel the need to move on to something that might be better.

I own both. Bone stock I'll give the edge to the 40X. I think you can get the best value buying an old 54 and putting a new barrell on it. I have a Jewell trigger on the 40X and feel the later (2 stage) annie trigger is better.

If you still have your 3P gun give it a make over.....or pick up another. They are much cheaper used than the 40X.

I have also an Rem. 40-X, with kelblys kiffbolt.
It shoot pretty good, have som small series with tha gun :D

I've heard from some other swedish shooter, today when we building new weapon mechanic, they build it on the base from 40x

40-x?

Thanks for all the comments. Has been an interesting read. I think I am going to think seriously on the 40-X and give it a try.
S.

FWIW, I think the popularity of the 40X in RF BR has been driven by 1) The CMP sales of rifles at quite attractive prices and 2) the centerfire BR community having developed lots of aftermarket parts for the 40X. Do some quick browsing and see how many stocks you can find inlet for a 40X vs. the Anschutz 54. And keep in mind there are more stocks available now for the Annies than several years ago when 40X's could be gotten relatively cheap. Triggers, scope mounts, etc.; it's easy to get parts for a Remington.

Also, 54's in their factory form have a bigger resale market. Their market share of prone & 3P lines, while not universal, is still pretty heavy.

Just some odd thoughts; others have hit the main points pretty well.

I personally have two 40x guns. Oddly enough, what pushed me toward them was the fact I can load it with my left hand; there weren't any RBLP used guns I could find at the time in my price range. Go figure. Good guns have been built with both, and others. If I could start fresh with a new action, I'd go Hall, both from having shot other's guns built on them, and the fact that Allan has always been patient with my annoying questions. Conversely, I avoid Anschutz rifles since I spent most of my teenage years strapped to one that was troublesome. Just a personal thing; but if someone offered me a late 54 with a 5018 trigger at a super low price, I'd have no problem putting it to use. Lots of "intangibles" in this shooting stuff, at least for me.

Rob

Back